2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Wondered if we would move him to weak side, he’s not as effective from there though. He’s got the vast majority of his sacks from LDE.

They'll probably keep playing him exclusively at LDE in the nickel like Norton did. As for the weakside in the base, it's not a right and left thing.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Would love to somehow come away from this draft with a real slot receiver for Carr. Think it would help elevate Carr's game even more.

I like Braxton Berrios. Don't know where he's projected to go but I like him.

Is Cooper moving to the slot? Or is that just a rumor?

Tremaine Edmunds--  9ers draft him, need that 9th pick

From NFL.com

STRENGTHS

Unique size with long limbs and a rangy frame. Wears his weight with ease. Frame is destined to become even more imposing with additional weight work. Feet pump and trigger like pistons. Excellent lateral quickness to scrape and stalk. Uses his size and speed to cast a wide, playmaking net and cover large swaths of grass. Twitches for a second when it is time to make a play. Spins out of blocks to find his way back into the play. Combines length with rare reactive athleticism and agility to access and tackle opportunities from unconventional angles. Captures and finishes as a tackler at highly efficient rate. Elite traits help to create sensational production across the board. Disruptive in all phases. Electric as "add-on" rusher when back stays in. Has length and burst to affect pocket as edge rusher. Effective man cover talent with ability to match shifty running backs and bulky tight ends.

WEAKNESSES

Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times. Needs to add more upper and lower body strength. Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack. Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance. Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team. Takes time to process moving pieces.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

SOURCES TELL US

"Good luck with your player comp on this one. They don't come like him. I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed. You're better off comping him with a basketball player." -- NFC regional scout

NFL COMPARISON

Brian Urlacher

BOTTOM LINE

Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. Edmunds will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.

Give in a guy who has Brian Urlacher projection. R Smith will be good too, but he is undersized and needs to be in a cover 2 based scheme or behind a great d line... our dline isn 't great...

Our defense would start to round into shape.... An all world talent on the DL in Mack, a potential stud in Edmunds in the LB core, and 3 high picks in the DBs Conely, Joseph, and Obi

DE: Mack, Edwards- one more year for Mario to prove himself

DT: Fix in free agency

LB: Edmunds, Bowman, Irvin

CB: Conely, fix in free agency

S: Joseph, Obi

just my thoughts

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is what kills me with this fan base. Best case, these players are "just guys". More likely, they are depth/ST players. They are not overly talented and haven't show enough to this point to "think" anything about them. So instead of addressing a weak LB unit, we just role with a bunch of unknowns and Bowman who's best football is long behind him. Same paper logic that leads to heartache every season when they don't live up to expectations. 

You go in to the season with Bowman, James and Marrow you might as well prepare for another long season on defense. 

James and Marrow are depth players at best. So trying to prop them up is the same issue we saw with this group a year ago. And there is no depth to speak of behind them. James can't stay healthy and they are an injury away from unraveling completely. 

Guenther isn't a miracle worker. He had TALENT on each unit of his defense. Dunlap/Geno upfront. Burfict at LB. WJIII in the secondary. The Raiders have 1 player actual talent in Mack. The rest are JAGs or unproven rookies (Conley/Obi) who've yet to play. 

I knew you will be the first to comment and I knew what you will write :)

And I get what you saying.

I said that neither of these guys should prevent us to bring in new blood, but at the same time I think that we have to concentrate on the DL and on the secondary first and foremost.

Get Bowman back, get a solid FA and let the young guys develope and if the opportunity is there upgrade via draft, but LB shouldn't be a focus point IMO.

I would try to move back via trade in Reggie's place...get Arizona or Buffalo to jump for a QB. The Kirk Cousins situation could help us IMO. If Kirk goes to the Donkeys or to the Jets there should be one more QB available when we are on the clock and the Cards or/and the Bills could be interested to trade up for a guy like Mayfield or Allen...

At 15 or around the 20's I would really like to go DT. Vea or Hurst or maybe Payne or Bryant...

To the Mack debate:

I also expect Mack to be our weak side DE in base and our LDE in nickel and dime. I would not like to see us using him at SLB at all.

Mario Edwards Jr. could determine a lot as I said earlier. He could be our base strong side DE or he could be our 3tech. If they feel good about him inside we could bring Autry back to be the strong DE. Then we could go NT in the draft and work with Edwards, Hester, Ward and Vanderdoes (after he clears medically) at 3tech. Autry could also help as a nickel interior rusher...

To the DL and LB spots and to all our defense:

While BP you are right PG is not a miracle worker, just see what Sean McVay did with the Rams offense...they added a few pieces and completely turned the group around with good coaching. I'm not saying or expecting our Defense to be a top unit all of a sudden, but I think you are selling the change at DC/D staff a bit low...

We have pieces, whom could be real assets under proper coaching and we can add multiple guys via FA and draft and UDFA, who fits to our new scheme. We could and should have a new, improved D.

Mack is a stud and we have multiple interesting guys at the DL who could turn the corner with this staff. Not be be superstars, but to be good starters or rotational pieces.

Bowman is a really solid veteran, who can run the D and we have some interesting talent at LB already and could add a few more easily without going LB top10. I'm definately higher on James then most...

Joseph, Conley, Obi could be cornerstones for our secondary IMO. If we can add a few more solid pieces there this could work.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

We have pieces, whom could be real assets under proper coaching

This is a matter of opinion. Personally, I see Mack. Then potential w/ KJ, Conley. That's it. The rest are JAGs or depth players posing in starting roles. I have no faith in Obi. Didn't like him coming out, he did nothing to change opinion because of injury. 

The unit needs an overhaul on each level if you're asking me. I don't believe in any player outside Mack. 

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is a matter of opinion. Personally, I see Mack. Then potential w/ KJ, Conley. That's it. The rest are JAGs or depth players posing in starting roles. I have no faith in Obi. Didn't like him coming out, he did nothing to change opinion because of injury. 

The unit needs an overhaul on each level if you're asking me. I don't believe in any player outside Mack. 

If we accept that every level of the defense needs an overhaul, how would you rank the importance of each? 

With the likely move to 4-3 it would be DL, DB then LB for me. 

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

If we accept that every level of the defense needs an overhaul, how would you rank the importance of each? 

With the likely move to 4-3 it would be DL, DB then LB for me. 

Agree.... it's just how you build it. I don't see value at DT top 10. I do see it at CB/LB. Personally.....

Dline - I'd make a play for Jackson in a trade. Or upgrade DT spot with a top level vet like Richardson for the right price. 

CB - I look for a vet here to pair with Conley. Maybe resign Carrie. Draft in rounds 2 or 3.

LB - Draft here early. Lots of talent and this unit is weakest overall. 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

One position not being talked about is tackle. 

Let's be real here.... RT is already void of talent. Penn can't be trusted for 16 games next year and personally, would like to see him replaced.

Oh I definitely agree with you. But like you said, I don't really think any OTs in this draft are worth a top ten pick.

However, there is quite a few guys I like in round 2-3. 

I did like what Sharpe did in the last two games of the season, but it was a really small sample size.  

33 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Oh I definitely agree with you. But like you said, I don't really think any OTs in this draft are worth a top ten pick.

However, there is quite a few guys I like in round 2-3. 

I did like what Sharpe did in the last two games of the season, but it was a really small sample size.  

I think we can draft a guy, but Sharpe looked good in limited time. I don't think OT is priority #1, but if there's a good player available on day 2, I don't see any harm.

As far as the defense, my biggest question is who we see as playing inside. I still think Mario is a BIG base defensive end in a 4-3 who slides inside on nickel downs. I think he was hampered by injuries last year because he started the year very hot and explosive and kind of slowed down.

Tgrovac is an unbelievable hire coming from Jethro Franklin. He will coach up our young DL, but I think adding another one wouldn't be a bad idea either. Ward could become something, and he didn't play badly from what I saw last year, but I don't think we can count on him either. If Ellis leaves, I'm all for taking Vita Vea. That guy is an absolute monster on the interior. He demands attention and will destroy you if you don't give it to him. I'm also a big Harold Landry guy, if we do want an edge rusher.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree.... it's just how you build it. I don't see value at DT top 10. I do see it at CB/LB. Personally.....

Dline - I'd make a play for Jackson in a trade. Or upgrade DT spot with a top level vet like Richardson for the right price. 

CB - I look for a vet here to pair with Conley. Maybe resign Carrie. Draft in rounds 2 or 3.

Jackson?  I like this overview

DL- hopefully we sign a vet or two(maybe bring back Ellis for cheap).. we have youth  Latham, Ward, Hester, Vanderdoes  need some proven guys.. and all these jags won't pan out

LB- First round for me. I prefer Edmunds as I think he can be an elite pass rusher too, but Smith wouldn't be bad either

CB= cut Sean and sign a vet who is an upgrade. Gruden has said this team needs more speed.. draft a corner in round 2 or 3 too.. That be great

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

In the 4-3 scheme Guenther ran in Cincinnati then DT/3T wold be value in the top 10. 

Personally I don’t think we can enter the season with Conley, Carrie and a draft pick, we will need veteran somewhere. Smith is overpriced but I’d want a replacement in FA 

LB in a 4-3 needs a good DL.I don’t see LB as good value in top 15 of the draft. I’d rather get a OT and WR in addition to RDE, 3T and CB before a LB.

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

One position not being talked about is tackle. 

Let's be real here.... RT is already void of talent. Penn can't be trusted for 16 games next year and personally, would like to see him replaced.

While I don't think tackle is a viable pick in the top 10 in this class, I believe the team must pick one at the top of the 2nd. I've been consistently mocking one of Tyrell Crosby or Jamarco Jones there, and I believe there is a significant talent drop off from there. There might be hope in a guy like Desmond Harrison in the 3rd round, but I see little hope for a future starter beyond him.

Archived