Free Agent QB Discussion

WindyCity

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is based on what? His 62% completion percentage or all the INTS he throws?

The truth is that Dalton has produced at a similar level to Trubisky and is a marginal upgrade.

Bigger issue is if Dalton can read coverages why has he produced such mediocre results? His 1 INT/game might suggest he struggles with that more than you are letting on.

Based on the fact that he's been to the playoffs a few times, got to a couple Pro Bowls and is one of the rare QB's to throw for 3,000 yards in each of his first 3 years.

If you don't think Dalton's more of a "quarterback" (or at least can read coverages better) than Trubisky is, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Based on the fact that he's been to the playoffs a few times, got to a couple Pro Bowls and is one of the rare QB's to throw for 3,000 yards in each of his first 3 years.

If you don't think Dalton's more of a "quarterback" (or at least can read coverages better) than Trubisky is, I'm not sure what to tell you.

At this point he's better at that part of the game for sure, no question, but he's not as talented as Mitch is/or was coming out of college.

I think Mitch still offers more upside.  Dalton is a guy I'd only want playing if Mitch continues to struggle in the early part of next season. Though I do not strive to have Andy Dalton as my starting QB1 over Mitch as of today..  Only if necessary.

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Mitch has made the playoffs and the Pro Bowl. Those are meaningless.

Dalton per game is a 62%, 237 [7.1 per attempt], 1.5 TDs, .9 INT  87 QBR

Mitch per game is 63.5%, 208 yards [6.7 per attempt], 1.2 TDs, .7 INT 86 QBR

They are pretty much the same guy

• Like 1

Average Dalton [1] vs 2018 Mitch [2]

[1] 62%, 237 [7.1 per attempt], 1.5 TDs, .9 INT  87 QBR

[2] 66.5% 230 [7.4 per attempt] 1.75 TDs, .85 INT, 95.5 QBR

Average Andy Dalton is slightly worse than 2018 Mitch. For Dalton to be seen as a clear upgrade you would have to assume Mitch never plays at the 2018 level again.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch has made the playoffs and the Pro Bowl. Those are meaningless.

Dalton per game is a 62%, 237 [7.1 per attempt], 1.5 TDs, .9 INT  87 QBR

Mitch per game is 63.5%, 208 yards [6.7 per attempt], 1.2 TDs, .7 INT 86 QBR

They are pretty much the same guy

I'm not discussing stats. I'm discussing intelligence. After year 3, Nagy said Trubisky still can't read coverages. At least with Dalton I know the guy isn't a complete moron. He may not be great but at least he won't run out of bounds and take a sack for a loss of 10 or throw a 2 yard out on 4th and 23.

Edited by beardown3231

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not discussing stats. I'm discussing intelligence. After year 3, Nagy said Trubisky still can't read coverages. At least with Dalton I know the guy isn't a complete moron. He may not be great but at least he won't run out of bounds and take a sack for a loss of 10 or throw a 2 yard out on 4th and 23.

To be fair Nagy never said Trubisky "still can't read coverages". 

He specifically said he wants Trubisky to become a master at reading coverages. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The statement was that he is far better.

High end Andy Dalton is 2018 Mitch Trubisky, that is what the numbers bare out. Low end Dalton, is low end Mitch.

That simply isn't true. The stats may make it appear that way (but I refuse to take a deep dive to investigate either way), but low end Mitch is, or at least can be, shockingly bad. Dalton's problems with accuracy don't even approach Mitch's when Mitch is in brain-fart mode. 

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Brees, Brady, Bridgewater aren't happening. I don't think Rivers goes that far from his family either. 

I really wouldn't count out Brady, to be honest. Unless he's looking for a big payday, which we obviously can't provide. 

Rivers wants to keep his family in San Diego unless he has a big, lightning strike type burst of common sense. 

The name Andy Dalton and the words "reading coverages" should never be used in the same sentence. Using passing yardage is a terrible way to judge a QB's ability to read coverages.

A QB who struggles with reading coverages throws the ball into double or triple coverages more than the average QB does because this usually means the QB struggles to read/look off the safeties and/or MLB-- and both Mitch and Dalton fit this description. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

To be fair Nagy never said Trubisky "still can't read coverages". 

He specifically said he wants Trubisky to become a master at reading coverages. 

If you don't think that's what he meant, I can't help. That press conference was a Trubisky confidence booster so he wasn't going to say "he can't read any at all." He clearly can't read most coverages.

59 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If you don't think that's what he meant, I can't help. That press conference was a Trubisky confidence booster so he wasn't going to say "he can't read any at all." He clearly can't read most coverages.

He clearly can read coverages in the NFL, are you kidding me?

He has his issues and misses reads -- more than I would like to see at this point in his NFL career -- but to say he can't read most coverages is hyperbole.

• Like 1