2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

6 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I don't think there's a rush to bring McPhee back too soon. With players not being able to workout and/or rehabilitate at the team facility the Ravens might not know where he's at in his recovery. The league will be lucky if training camps are able to start on-time. It wouldn't hurt to throw a minimum deal his way, but signed now or two months from now doesn't really make a difference this year. 

On the flip side, what incentive does McPhee have at this point to accept a vet min deal? He's not a guy for whom potential landing spots will necessarily dry up if he waits and he's not able to access facilities, so why rush? If something crazy happens or teams strike out in the draft, his market could actually improve.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, sp6488 said:

Will be very interesting to see the numbers on only 1-year

On the comp pick front it looks like:

In:

Wolfe, DL ($3.5M AAV; up to $6M with incentives)

Out:

Pierce, DT ($9M AAV)
Seth Robers, WR ($3.75M AAV) <- Canceled by Brockers signing
Patrick Onwuasor, LB ($ pending)
Josh Bynes, LB ($ pending)

I'm thinking each of those last three may be qualifying deals, at very least for cancellation purposes. I think Onuwasor signs something in excess of his tender this past year ($3M), guessing 1 year/$6M. Bynes I would think is ~half of that, maybe 1 year/$3M. Considering the speed at which he signed, I think Roberts may have received something similar to what we gave him, like 1 year/$2M (I was pretty low here).

Interesting that Bynes and Onwuasor numbers are taking so long to come out.

Bruh at this point we got to sign AB... him Hollywood and Lamar with the TEs and the run game with our defense could be the best team ever... not to mention what we could add in the draft... bruh that would be outrageously hard to beat... Honestly I’d be disappointed if we didn’t sign him at this point 

1 hour ago, bmorecareful said:

Bruh at this point we got to sign AB... him Hollywood and Lamar with the TEs and the run game with our defense could be the best team ever... not to mention what we could add in the draft... bruh that would be outrageously hard to beat... Honestly I’d be disappointed if we didn’t sign him at this point 

0% chance. 

Can't let him get that close to Hollywood in a locker room. If it goes south with AB, who knows how Hollywood would take it. So many variables man. History of alleged domestic abuse, sexual harassment. We've steered clear of guys like this. AB is not coming anywhere near this organization. 

FWIW. IIRC Hollywood was living in poverty, relying on the charity/compassion of teammates and working sh*t jobs to even eat somewhat normally during his JC days. And was in similar circumstances during his childhood as well. All while his cousin was a multi millionaire superstar. His mother apparently didn't even keep in touch with AB. They met up late into his collegiate football career at Oklahoma, when I guess AB saw the novelty in helping his young cousin become a better football player.

Marquise had to dig his future out of the pavement himself. I don't think there's this "Follow the Leader" "Idol/Star Worship" fixation going on, that some fear though. The association has already led Hollywood to some trouble, where he had to be questioned after AB's accuser came forward. So I think while there's some familial respect there and Marquise knows/pursues the kind of knowledge AB can impart in their offseason training sessions, in the end- he knows where to draw the line.

Beyond Lamar and Hollywood's close bond, we also have Andrews, OBJ, and Powers in house. Brown's college teammates. He got really close with Miles Boykin, his Rookie roommate, who's as straight laced as they come. If we start weighing all of Marquise's good associations and influences, up against the one possibly bad one- I think we can feel pretty comfortable. 

No one wants a guy like AB around, but thus far all we've seen Marquise emulate is his skill set. Which should make us all pretty happy.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm not worried about Hollywood or Lamar being corrupted or anything by working out with Antonio. No one who's paying attention actually believes the Ravens would add him.

I'm kind of surprised every focused on Lamar throwing to AB and not Lamar throwing to his buddy Jerry Jeudy.

• Like 2

I have to stop venturing down these Clowney rabbit holes...., but he's just such a perfect fit for Wink and our defense. Pairing him with Campbell inside on long and late downs would give us arguably the best interior rush duo across the league Pray.

• Like 1

Weird weird move. Bynes had a legit plus/good season at off ball last year. He has a history with the club, bargain for his level of play. I'm not getting the logic behind losing him to a AFCN rival at that price tag.

It forces us to pursue LB more seriously in the draft, and what other proven options are left in FA?

Off ball is the least important position on defense, by far, and it's devalued even more within our system. So this isn't some major blow. It is odd though. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Weird weird move. Bynes had a legit plus/good season at off ball last year. He has a history with the club, bargain for his level of play. I'm not getting the logic behind losing him to a AFCN rival at that price tag.

It forces us to pursue LB more seriously in the draft, and what other proven options are left in FA?

Off ball is the least important position on defense, by far, and it's devalued even more within our system. So this isn't some major blow. It is odd though. 

Yeah for that price I think this is the only big head scratcher for me from EDC this offseason, unless for whatever reason Bynes just didn't want to be here, which would be surprising. Maybe he was miffed we offered Fort more than him? 

Either way, seems like maybe they think that beefing up the D-Line is the biggest key to unlocking better ILB play, or that they still really like the potential of Alaka or Board to step up - but we heard a lot of hype about Board a year ago and then he wasn't up for it leading to the need for Fort and Bynes in the first place. Even if Wink is approaching this thinking about Chuck Clark or Deshone Elliott as de-facto off-ball LB options in a lot of packages, hard to see what the downside would have been of having a steady hand in Bynes to work with as well.

Only thing I can think of is that Bynes wanted guaranteed playing time and thinks if we bring in a Day 1 or day 2 draft pick that his opportunities will be limited just given how little we play in base packages to begin with. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

For what it's worth Board missed time early last season due to a concussion... but still never made any kind of impact after he was healthy enough to take the field. So yeah, I'm not relying on him for anything moving forward. 

This Bynes thing is odd. That looks like it is a minimum deal. He must have wanted to leave. I can't imagine the team didn't want him back, especially at that price.