2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Either one would be improve our squad and don't require a 2-3 year learning curve in order to produce. Maybe we get lucky and draft a WR who pulls a Samuel or Metcalf and produces in year 1 but that's not the norm. In reality, we needed both, it was pretty obvious. Gute struck out this year. 

Signing defense would be fine at this point. Another year of ignoring the offensive skill positions. It is what it is. 

Brown and McLaurin last year as well, plus Ridley, Moore, Sutton, JuJu, Kupp, Thomas, Cooper, Beckham, Evans, Benjamin, etc. in the years prior. It's not that rare anymore.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd take the shot on a rookie over vets who haven't done much with other teams. Not really interested in adding a WR to say we did. 

The vets in defense available far outweigh the talent of available WRs and TEs.

Lazard was essentially a rookie this year, the whole Rodgers takes forever to throw to him and a rookie needs 2-3 years is just for the guys like MVS who don't get it instantly. Have to draft a smart player.

What worries me is that Gute is on tilt after striking out on Hooper, and especially on Sanders (who I believe was our target all along and we probably didn't expect the Saints to be players there), that now with Anderson gone, he's going to offer like $10m/year to Breshad Perriman. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

What worries me is that Gute is on tilt after striking out on Hooper, and especially on Sanders (who I believe was our target all along and we probably didn't expect the Saints to be players there), that now with Anderson gone, he's going to offer like $10m/year to Breshad Perriman. 

he's not gonna do that.  If anything he's gonna overpay for a trade candidate and hold the space in his back pocket.

I’m glad we missed out on Anderson.  Looks clear he chased money, otherwise why go to Carolina?  I want players who want to win over making money.  Especially when there are character questions, as there apparently are with Anderson.

He’s probably gonna have 27 receptions for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns this year and is somehow okay with that.  

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think he'd probably have rather thrown another milly or two at Anderson if he wanted him so much he bought Perriman at the same price. No panic buying, this isn't TP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

otherwise why go to Carolina?

Matt Rhule was Robby Anderson’s college coach at Temple. Real bond there. Upon Rhule’s hiring, Anderson said Rhule went above and beyond to get him on a path that’d end up in the NFL. I’ve spoken to Rhule about Anderson and that’s a strong “beyond football” bond.

— Peter Schrager  March 24, 2020

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m glad we missed out on Anderson.  Looks clear he chased money, otherwise why go to Carolina?  I want players who want to win over making money.  Especially when there are character questions, as there apparently are with Anderson.

He’s probably gonna have 27 receptions for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns this year and is somehow okay with that.  

Rhule coached him in college. They were close and apparently Rhule was instrumental in straightening him out and getting him into the NFL and again sticking by him after his issues after getting there. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Rhule coached him in college. They were close and apparently Rhule was instrumental in straightening him out and getting him into the NFL and again sticking by him after his issues after getting there. 

That explains it then.  I’m still not sad about missing out on him.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

That explains it then.  I’m still not sad about missing out on him.

Nor am I. When you style your look after Coolio and Marlon Wayan's crackhead character in Don't Be A Menace you need the right fit to get your ish on track.

https://images.app.goo.gl/3UFvHxbhXyd8uSG97

https://images.app.goo.gl/T1iV1dDzyd6i3NHN9

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sanders was the best bet of the bunch and the deal he got was affordable.  I think he could have stepped right in and produced.  Would have been the perfect guy for us for the next couple seasons.  We missed on that guy twice. 

• Like 1

Paul Richardson was cut by Washington so he falls into the same category as Gute’s two free agent signings thus far-no risk of losing a comp pick. I haven’t seen him play l since he left seattle, but his stat line is pretty bad with the ’skins. Maybe he’s been hurt the past couple years.

He was an effective role player for seattle, and had some speed. He’s  not as big as most of the Packer WRs, and they may think they already have “that guy” in Darrius ‘Not Ready for Prime Time’ Shephard, or maybe the guy they signed from the CFL, Reggie Begelton.

Personally, I doubt Anderson was seriously considered as a free agent. I believe Gutenkunst has gotten the two outside guys he prioritized, and is presently trying to hammer out a deal with Kenny Clark. I doubt much happens meantime, unless they re-sign more of their own .

I didn't want Anderson for the reason he would cost us a comp pick and his contract would use up the rest of our cap (and we're going to be needing a much spare as possible for Kenny Clark.)

I think we might end up with Taylor Gabriel.  A street free agent that doesn't count against the comps, played with LeFleur in Atlanta and I bet he looks a whole lot better with 12 throwing to him than Trubisky. 

13 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Nor am I. When you style your look after Coolio and Marlon Wayan's crackhead character in Don't Be A Menace you need the right fit to get your ish on track.

https://images.app.goo.gl/3UFvHxbhXyd8uSG97

https://images.app.goo.gl/T1iV1dDzyd6i3NHN9

Lol.  That’s what did it for me, too.  And I have alopecia.