The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

21 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It's not that I dislike Carr, I just don't think it would make sense to spend that kind of money on a QB who won't see any real significant PT. 

We're strapped on cap space this year. Use this money/draft to build around the QB position. Ride the year out with Mitch, sign a cheaper QB option (Mariota?) for depth, and/or either draft a QB in the 2nd round this year or wait until RD1 next season. 

And if he overpaid for that player you would be complaining about that. There is an agenda.  

I would be shocked if Carr didn't immediately come in as the starter, he's clearly the better QB than Trubisky will ever be.  

• Like 1

So...

We've missed out on the best OG, TE, RT, QB, and WR of FA thus far. And the best 5t.

But at least we got a washed up injury case TE who hasn't been good in years.

I honestly wasn't expecting crazy moves this FA period given our lack of funds, but damn, Jimmy Graham is the best we can do here? Disappointing start to be sure.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Why do people dislike Carr so much?  Of the potential QB's, I can't think of many who I'd rather have that are actually attainable.  

Can't speak for anyone else but when I look at his record he's just not that good.

He shares many of the same issues Mitch has and he's had more time to sort his out.  If Gruden no longer believes in him why should we.

He's also the worst cold weather QB in the NFL so not exactly who you'd want to bring to Chicago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

So...

We've missed out on the best OG, TE, RT, QB, and WR of FA thus far. And the best 5t.

But at least we got a washed up injury case TE who hasn't been good in years.

I honestly wasn't expecting crazy moves this FA period given our lack of funds, but damn, Jimmy Graham is the best we can do here? Disappointing start to be sure.

Hasn't Jimmy played in 16 games the past few years? That's why he was signed. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I would be shocked if Carr didn't immediately come in as the starter, he's clearly the better QB than Trubisky will ever be.  

Being better than Mitch isn't saying much. IMO.

The gap between Mitch and Carr, Dalton, Teddy, or any other realistic FA QB isn't far apart and none of them are SB conteding QB's. 

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Being better than Mitch isn't saying much. IMO.

The gap between Mitch and Carr, Dalton, Teddy, or any other realistic FA QB isn't far apart and none of them are SB conteding QB's. 

Right, but you said he wouldn't see any playtime?  So maybe I'm missing your point.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Yeah but some of them were also the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick of their own teams so where a guy is taken may be less important than finding ways to develop guys as we did with Leno.  When it comes right down to it other than maybe the top two or three OL in a draft class once you get then 3-4 years down the road in the pros there's often not much difference between the guy who was drafted in round two vs a guy who was drafted somewhere on Day 3.  IMHO it's more about good coaching and being in the right system for their skills.

Exactly. And with a regular yearly addition plus bargain hunting for depth we should always be able to build a solid OL. Of course if you get a stud you want to re-sign them but being at the free agent markets mercy to overpay for OTs is what I want to avoid. 

The earlier slot you get the better talents and physical specimen but will still need proper development via coaching. There will be misses but better be some hits too. 

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Right, but you said he wouldn't see any playtime?  So maybe I'm missing your point.

Pace loves Mitch and none of these QB's are much better than Mitch,  so I don't see Mitch getting benched until mid-season at the very earliest. Spending 20+ on a QB to play a handful of games and still provide nearly the same output at the position is not worth it. 

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Pace loves Mitch and none of these QB's are much better than Mitch,  so I don't see Mitch getting benched until mid-season at the very earliest. Spending 20+ on a QB to play a handful of games and still provide nearly the same output at the position is not worth it. 

I think you are wrong about that.  If they go out and trade for someone, I don't see much chance that that person doesnt start

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Why do people dislike Carr so much?  Of the potential QB's, I can't think of many who I'd rather have that are actually attainable.  

It's just committing to mediocrity imo. Is he better than Tru? Definitely. But I don't think he is someone who will be a reason for a Super Bowl run rather than a lucky benefactor of a stacked team. I'd rather stack the team around the QB and put a rookie for this year in the room and then move up and commit big for a guy with a higher ceiling next year. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

All that free agency had confirmed for me so far is that we should be drafting a tackle in the first 2 or 3 picks every year. Some of these guys suck and are making 10 million a year.

Well every other year at least.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Well every other year at least.  

Nope. I want to draft an OL every year. If the starting slots are settled I'd go to a lower round but I was an OL every single draft. At minimum two of every three years. To me there is always someone worth adding as depth or potential starter material in each draft. 

It's the life blood of a running and passing game and you need at least 5 competent starters. I want to overload with big uglies. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

Nope. I want to draft an OL every year. If the starting slots are settled I'd go to a lower round but I was an OL every single draft. At minimum two of every three years. To me there is always someone worth adding as depth or potential starter material in each draft. 

It's the life blood of a running and passing game and you need at least 5 competent starters. I want to overload with big uglies. 

Quality over quantity