Raiders Officially known as the "Las Vegas Raiders"

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Problem with LA, Vegas, even Miami, majority of people living in the areas are transplants from different cities and hold value of the original team that they grew up watching over the team that is in the current city they are living in. For me living in miami you have a ton of fans that are Pats Giants Jets Eagles Steelers and even Bills fans because majority move to live in warmer weather but are still die hard fans of their teams. I can imagine it being the same in Vegas and LA which will cause issues like Miami and LA (more chargers then rams) have had recently with low attendance. If your team starts winning and becomes relevant in the league then more then likely the fan base will be getting bigger as they jump on the bandwagon at the time but once they start losing again they will start to disappear again. Im interested to see how many people show up for the Rams games early on in the season since they didnt make the playoffs this year.

people forget how big the Raider fan base is in Southern California, and its alot closer and much more of a fun commute than going to Oakland. Vegas is one of the nations fasting growing cities, and there isn't many NFL teams in the surrounding states, so the fanbase will organically grow 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I do agree with that, although St. Louis has already done their part in losing 2 teams, I don't know if they deserve a 3rd shot.  I'd almost think moving them to Salt Lake City would be a better option.  

Plus, it'd be almost appropriate for the team to go from the land of "Padres" to the land of Mormons.  ;)

38 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

people forget how big the Raider fan base is in Southern California, and its alot closer and much more of a fun commute than going to Oakland. Vegas is one of the nations fasting growing cities, and there isn't many NFL teams in the surrounding states, so the fanbase will organically grow 

die hard fans travel that is a given the point is that most people who live in Vegas will not be adopting a new team over the team they grew up to watch. It is hard to build a fan base in a city that has a ton of transplants, in order to fill seats your going to have to count on those fans traveling. You will also get the opponent diehard fans traveling to vegas to cheer on their team so it may not be a predominantly home fanbase at games like they did in Oakland. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Still don't like this at all. I can't help but see bad things happening to the players and their families given Vegas's culture.

think you are underestimating how people in Vegas/Henderson think. The strip is for tourists (locals are over it),  I have plenty of family and friends from area. Vegas is growing as a city, and there is alot more than the strip.

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Chargers should move to St. Louis if they don't have fan support in their first year in the new stadium. The home field advantage in LA has been a joke 

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I do agree with that, although St. Louis has already done their part in losing 2 teams, I don't know if they deserve a 3rd shot.  I'd almost think moving them to Salt Lake City would be a better option.  

To be perfectly frank, I do not see any scenario where the Chargers are successful as a franchise. In order to get rid of the stigma they have now, they’d need new ownership, new branding and a new city similiar to the Ravens or Titans when they moved. I have zero faith in the Spanos family to accomplish anything, anywhere at anytime. Haslam moving the Browns to St Louis has a better chance of getting fan support then the Spanos family does. 

Silver spoon losers that are rapidly pissing away the fortune grandpa/dad passed through to them. They have zero ability to build a competitive franchise and zero ability to attract fans. They are so far out of touch. They have had zero success under Dean and the success they previously had was due to Alex prior to his death. Yes he took over day to day operations but we all know it was AG Spanos really behind things just like how Dean is really running things now even though his son is “in charge of day to day operations.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No one roots for the Chargers. Even Charger fans don't cheer for the Chargers.

Dude I genuinely am surprised when I see Charger gear here. I will say the Rams have caught on more so its about 40/40/20 Rams/Raiders/Other when I see jerseys. It depends on what's happening and where you are though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Chargers should move to St. Louis if they don't have fan support in their first year in the new stadium. The home field advantage in LA has been a joke 

Chargers have a 30 year lease.

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Problem with LA, Vegas, even Miami, majority of people living in the areas are transplants from different cities and hold value of the original team that they grew up watching over the team that is in the current city they are living in. For me living in miami you have a ton of fans that are Pats Giants Jets Eagles Steelers and even Bills fans because majority move to live in warmer weather but are still die hard fans of their teams. I can imagine it being the same in Vegas and LA which will cause issues like Miami and LA (more chargers then rams) have had recently with low attendance. If your team starts winning and becomes relevant in the league then more then likely the fan base will be getting bigger as they jump on the bandwagon at the time but once they start losing again they will start to disappear again. Im interested to see how many people show up for the Rams games early on in the season since they didnt make the playoffs this year.

Uh no, there are 20 million people in Southern California, the majority are not transplants.

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

To be perfectly frank, I do not see any scenario where the Chargers are successful as a franchise. In order to get rid of the stigma they have now, they’d need new ownership, new branding and a new city similiar to the Ravens or Titans when they moved. I have zero faith in the Spanos family to accomplish anything, anywhere at anytime. Haslam moving the Browns to St Louis has a better chance of getting fan support then the Spanos family does. 

Silver spoon losers that are rapidly pissing away the fortune grandpa/dad passed through to them. They have zero ability to build a competitive franchise and zero ability to attract fans. They are so far out of touch. They have had zero success under Dean and the success they previously had was due to Alex prior to his death. Yes he took over day to day operations but we all know it was AG Spanos really behind things just like how Dean is really running things now even though his son is “in charge of day to day operations.”

Wrong, at least monetarily. Not to mention this isn't a Browns/Lions type situation. Two years ago the Chargers were Super Bowl contenders.

Taken from elsewhere:

Yes, the NFL in its obsession with money and popularity is going let the Chargers move back to San Diego, reducing the Chargers potential fanbase from 20 million people to 3 million(roughly speaking) where a publicly funded stadium will never happen.

The Chargers will never be able to build a fanbase? Tell that to the Clippers who for 30 years were the biggest joke in sports run by the worst ownership ever.

There's a reason the Jets, Mets, White Sox etc. have never left despite being the secondary teams.

The league and owners(who control the league) will never "force" a team to leave a larger market for a smaller market for the dangerous precedent it would set...for themselves. 

You're ignoring the social, political, and most importantly economic facts of the situation.

That's just not the way the real world works, especially not with the NFL in the 21st century.

In an area with 20 million people, that supports 2 pro basketball teams, 3 baseball teams, 2 hockey teams, 2 soccer teams, which was able to support THREE NFL teams 30 years ago(before 2 terrible owners forced their way out of the area), in addition to countless minor and secondary teams, the Chargers won't be able to carve out a fanbase(Counting what they will retain from San Diego) and fill a stadium 8 times a year, got it.

No team is going to make more money being a San Diego team than it will an LA team, it's like saying water isn't wet.

I mean, that's the whole reason the Chargers moved in the first place..

I'm going to repeat what I said in the Angels thread.

The Chargers basically have a market from the Mexican border in the south to Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

20 million people.

With a brand new stadium being likened to the Death Star.

With the NFL's TV contact, and everything else that comes with being an NFL team.

They will not "fail".

People care about the Clippers, and they were run by the worst owner in history and the biggest joke in sports for 30 years.

This isn't a Clippers/Lakers thing, where you've got the most glamorous franchise in the league and the biggest joke in the league sharing the city for decades.

The Rams have history, but 20 years is a long time for people to forget things and they were never as successful as the Lakers.

That's not even factoring the whole "People can have an NFC team and an AFC team" thing.

You've got two basketball teams , two hockey teams, two baseball teams, hell 2 soccer teams all with good fanbases.

Chargers just need time.

People are judging a move which should be analyzed over decades based on 2 years.

Does it matter? As long as the money is green it doesn't make a difference to the bottom line.

The Chargers accountants aren't sitting there going, "Mr. Spanos, we looked at the books. Even though we've sold out our season tickets even with them being astronomically priced due to the size of Stubhub, it's a total disaster because not as high a proportion of Chargers fans bought tickets".

Building a fanbase takes time.

If anything, that should tell us that there are probably enough fans of every NFL team in the market to help sell plenty of tickets to fans of opposing teams for the 8 home games a year. They won't be paying with monopoly money.

Now for the Clippers. The Chargers aren't the Clippers for the reasons I outlined previously but let's say for argument's sake they are.

Let's say you guys are right, and I concede that the Chargers are destined to be the football equivalent of the Clippers.

That means they are destined to:

1. Be one of the 10 most valuable franchises in the league, and one of the most profitable.

2. Have a reliable fan base and move plenty of merchandise.

3. Be a team who is perennially top 10 in attendance in their good years and still fill over 90% capacity in their down years(looking at the last decade or so)

4. Stay in the market and begin planning their own stadium.

If that's the logic being applied here for the Chargers having a good chance of LEAVING, then I'd say merely being condescending is quite generous.

So between the hundreds of millions they would likely lose(NFL G-4 loan for the LA stadium, LA relocation fee, moving costs to LA then San Antonio, overall money invested in LA) plus funding for a stadium in San Antonio when one is being built in LA etc. they would do all that in order to move from the 2nd largest market to the 25th?

Makes sense.

Edited by DigInBoys