What should qualify a player for the Hall of Fame?

Hukos

8 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Yup, he did it last year.   He had the same opportunity in pretty much any game against the Chiefs,   Once is pretty good though.   Fumbling when all he had to do was kneel,  classic Rivers.  Forcing it to Keenan Allen in double coverage, classic Rivers..  He was a very good QB,  but not Hall of Fame.   Just my opinion though. 

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

@Bearerofnews Where do you generally place Rivers on the all-time spectrum?

That's tough to say. I value different aspects than others. So for me, off the top of my head i feel comfortable saying top 12 all time. 

I cant rate players who i didn't watch. I also find it hard to accurately adjust for era inflations in stats.  Honestly id probably go top 10 even.

Marino, Peyton, Brady, Montana, Brees, Favre, Rodgers.

Then you have your Unitas, Elway, Fouts, Tarkenton, Starr, Aikman, Bradshaws, Wilsons, Moon, Kelly, etc.

But i believe, throw for throw, play for play, Rivers is better than that 2nd group. What Rivers does at the line, his ability and the fact he has played for a horrible franchise, with a bad carousel of coaches, to the point of where Charger fans believe they have a keeper in Lynn who might honestly be an avg coach. I'm not sure what he is quite yet. The injuries, the heavy turnaround in personnel, bad oline, bad kicking, close losses, in same conference with arguably top 2 qbs ever, greatest dynasty of all time..

I get people will say these sound like excuses. I think excuses are inbalanced obstacles that dictate outcomes. Or people will say you can say this about other qbs... maybe you can, i never dug down to a granular level for other qbs.

Edited by Bearerofnews

3 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Yup, he did it last year.   He had the same opportunity in pretty much any game against the Chiefs,   Once is pretty good though.   Fumbling when all he had to do was kneel,  classic Rivers.  Forcing it to Keenan Allen in double coverage, classic Rivers..  He was a very good QB,  but not Hall of Fame.   Just my opinion though. 

That's fine if that's the way you feel about it..  but don't make up some nonsense about him always folding in crunch time...

10 minutes ago, frenchie said:

That's fine if that's the way you feel about it..  but don't make up some nonsense about him always folding in crunch time...

Always was pushing it.. obviously he was good and has had a long career,  he’s going to get those stats if he plays long enough(and he deserved to)...   

You gave one play,  where he needed a fantom holding to save him on 4th down the play before.

Many times against KC, Rivers had that drive at the end of the game and he failed. More often not than not, I should say.

Just one example

The centennial HOF made me mad this year. As someone who has studied NFL history since childhood the only 3 players that were worthy of being Hall of Famers there are Cliff Harris, Donnie Shell, and Mac Speedie. I'm very upset in the direction the HOF is going. Honoring above average older players that were never dominating. Go back and watch film. This is the modern day equal of AJ Green and Andrew Whitworth being Hall of Famers. Players like Harold Carmichael, Winston Hill, and Alex Karras, etc., should not be be there. I guess everyone that was above average will get in the centennial class later moving forward.

5 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Always was pushing it.. obviously he was good and has had a long career,  he’s going to get those stats if he plays long enough(and he deserved to)...   

You gave one play,  where he needed a fantom holding to save him on 4th down the play before.

Many times against KC, Rivers had that drive at the end of the game and he failed. More often not than not, I should say.

Just one example

Yes that play was horrible and embarrassing. But it was a fluky qb to center exchanges. I honestly dont know if Rivers has had more than 2 of those his whole career. Obviously the situation that happened in made it much worse. 

But it wasnt a throw. 2017, both games vs KC Rivers choked. In the other 14 games of 2017, Rivers had 105 passer rating, 4000 yds 66% comp 27 tds and 4 ints.

In his 2 games vs KC 1 td and 6 ints.

Then this year the 4 int game. 

Other than that, yes since 2014 KC is 11-1 vs Rivers, but before that Rivers had a streak of 11-2 over KC. But i cant think of chokejobs other than the 4 games mentioned. The kneel fumble, both 2017 games and the 4 int game this year.

Edited by Bearerofnews

Even thought it is imperfect I like looking at how many times the player was voted all-pro.  1st team is better than 2nd team but it still says that the player was considered one of the 22 best players in the NFL for that year.  Realizing that this is NFL sports writers making the decision but I still never have a beef when they come out with their list.  I ignore pro bowl appearances.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:39 PM, Titans_Matt said:

The centennial HOF made me mad this year. As someone who has studied NFL history since childhood the only 3 players that were worthy of being Hall of Famers there are Cliff Harris, Donnie Shell, and Mac Speedie. I'm very upset in the direction the HOF is going. Honoring above average older players that were never dominating. Go back and watch film. This is the modern day equal of AJ Green and Andrew Whitworth being Hall of Famers. Players like Harold Carmichael, Winston Hill, and Alex Karras, etc., should not be be there. I guess everyone that was above average will get in the centennial class later moving forward.

Are you serious, Troy is one of the best ever, Hutchinson's one the best ever, and James is eh but he was dominate has the all pro and rushing titles to go alone with it.

Edited by MrnastiesNO

13 minutes ago, MrnastiesNO said:

Are you serious, Troy one of the best ever, Hutchinson one the best ever, and James is eh but he was dominate for a while.

In this post I was specifically referring to the centennial HOF class here. Harold Carmichael, Jim Covert, Winston Hill, Alex Karras are not and have never been Hall of Famers. James and Atwater aren't either though.

Edited by Titans_Matt
  • Like 1