The Obscure Games/Nostalgic Games You Love Thread

TOUCAN

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

1) Haven't played the definitive edition. I just wasn't as in to it when I played it.

2) Up through 4

Well its hard to replicate the joy you felt as a kid destroying stone age enemies with a Corvette with rocket launchers attached to it. I still find it pretty enjoyable, especially if you can get a couple buddies to do a PvP conquest with.

I haven't played past Tropico 4 either, been waiting for a good sale on 6 though to try it out.

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's so funny how it depends on the games for me. I've pretty much gone back and played every old Final Fantasy and it's been great (actually doing VIII remastered right now).  NCAA football is still great. But some games that I played the crap out of don't hold up anymore. Recently, I've played games like Age of Empires II, Goldeneye, and other PC games like Tropico that just haven't held up. 

The first Final Fantasy on the NES is one of my favorite games ever and I’m not even big on Final Fantasy games as a whole. I never actually beat it until I used an emulator and played it on deployment. Just a great gaming experience and a great world, especially for its time.

Civilization III is great, I always go back to that one. Easily my favorite of the Civs. I haven’t played Age of Empires in a real long time.

Rodents Revenge on the old Windows 98 (I think?) was always a fun puzzle game to play around on. Ski free as well but I’m not sure how much that one has held up, I haven’t played it in a long long time. Nothing like getting eaten by the abominable snow man.

15 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Between the age of about 8 and 12, I probably played the first level of Rogue Squadron about 20 times. Had no idea what I was doing and could never get past the second level, but I loved the idea of that game. Always thought I'd like to go back and replay that, I at least need to watch a playthrough on Youtube sometime.

On the Star Wars theme, the Phantom Menace game on PC and PS1 was brilliant. The two levels on Mos Eisa? (Or spelled something similar? Where Anakin lives basically) are genuinely two of my favorite levels of any game from my childhood.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/455910/STAR_WARS_Rogue_Squadron_3D/

You can get the PC game on Steam, and you can also likely find someone who has done mods for updated graphics for it.  It's a great game.  For the longest time, I couldn't beat the Sullest level (second from the last main story mission, there is one epilogue and three extras, not to mention the Chicken AT-ST cheat game.)  I highly recommend playing it now if you have the time.  

I also played the Phantom Menace on PC.  I would go to the Mos Eisley levels with cheat codes to get full weapons and blast away on everyone.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/455910/STAR_WARS_Rogue_Squadron_3D/

You can get the PC game on Steam, and you can also likely find someone who has done mods for updated graphics for it.  It's a great game.  For the longest time, I couldn't beat the Sullest level (second from the last main story mission, there is one epilogue and three extras, not to mention the Chicken AT-ST cheat game.)  I highly recommend playing it now if you have the time.  

I also played the Phantom Menace on PC.  I would go to the Mos Eisley levels with cheat codes to get full weapons and blast away on everyone.  

Ah thanks, didn't know it was on Steam! That game is going on the list. Remember watching my Dad finish the last level, thought he was a genuine wizard.

Yeah Mos Eisley that's it, I knew the game up to those levels off by heart because I only played the first few levels to get to that point. So good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wound up with a few free months of Xbox Game Pass (on PC) and have been checking out some games I might not have otherwise.

Had a good time with:

• Metro Exodus
  • Vampyr, which I mentioned earlier
  • The Turing Test
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence

But then the other day I ran across Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. I actually only found it because it came up when I searched "XCOM" to see if XCOM 2 was on Game Pass. It came out at the end of 2018 and I don't think I'd ever heard of it (so I'm calling it obscure). I tried it out and damn, it's fantastic. It's like Fallout and XCOM had a stealth-em-up baby. I couldn't stop playing it. It's got a bit of a learning curve (or it did for me at least) but it's so satisfying once you get the hang of it. Great world, interesting enough story, and fun, challenging turn-based combat.

Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/760060/Mutant_Year_Zero_Road_to_Eden/

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

put in more hours on takedown and revenge than all other games i've played combined probably. just downloaded paradise remastered even though it was one of my least favorite renditions 

Just not the same as crashing into traffic or screaming through cities going for 100+ takedowns