General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Moving forward and some will probably disagree but since Shanahan simply isn't going to change who he is as a play-caller and Jimmy G isn't going to all of a sudden become Mahomes, a change needs to be made. One that probably won't happen but should.

First things first, a few players need to go. I would release Sherman, Coleman, Staley and Goodwin. Sherman as much as I love the guy, he simply doesn't have the speed anymore to where if he doesn't keep the receiver in front of him, he's going to get roasted. I like Coleman but Mostert is better, we have Breida who should have gotten a few carries just to see if he gets the hot hand and McKinnon returns. McKinnon isn't a savings at all so if anything, maybe an injury settlement if he can't be ready for week one. If he is, third string. 

Releasing those four players would add $28.9m in cap room. Two guys that are simply too old in my opinion and too expensive. Goodwin is either injured or has personal issues but whatever the case, needs to go as the team doesn't need him. Coleman is simply due to numbers. Too many RB's. Don't need him. Now, if we can trade the first three players listed for 2021 draft picks then great because that's free draft picks in my opinion with very little dead money. If not, release them.

Re-signing DL Armstead, FS Ward and WR Sanders should be the 49ers top priorities in that order. We should still be in great shape cap room wise even after draft picks, tenders, etc.

Future UFA's Kittle and Buckner. Team can try to extend one of them this off-season. Whether it's this off-season or next off-season, both MUST be re-signed/extended.

Draft wise, for 2020, we're at #31. If a team offers their future first round pick to get back into the first round for whatever reason/player (don't care), they need to accept it. If SF can trade their 2nd and 3rd for another team's 2021 first rounder, they also need to do this.

Here's why - 2021 NFL Draft. Whatever pick im drafting from, I call up whoever holds #1 overall and I give them a call and offer the three potential first round draft picks that I have to get that #1 overall pick. One player I want and the team should go after hard to get - QB Trevor Lawrence. Plain and simple, easily an upgrade over Jimmy G. Will fit Shanahan's pass happy style late in Super Bowls. Is 6'6, 220. Can pass, throws TD's, minimal INT's, and can run out of pocket, make plays and add rushing yards if needed.

Once I have that #1 overall draft pick, I then trade Jimmy G. 2nd/3rd rounder. Whatever. I care more about getting an upgrade at QB, the cap room that I would gain by trading Jimmy G away and by having a new franchise QB under a rookie contract for 5 years is HUGE because it easily allows us to re-sign future FA's like Tartt, Thomas, Kittle, Buckner, etc. In other words, im not losing a few young core players who will only get better just to hang on to a good but not great QB. Jimmy G is good and he'll win you some games but I just don't see it.

Jimmy G, the offense, play-calling should not be having issues and problems against a middle of the pack defense. No. Like, WTF? Plus, another reason is a more general reason - Jimmy G barely moves. He's almost a statue in the pocket. Unless it's a designed play, he takes sacks at the worst possible time and loves chucking up blind passes for some odd reason.

In a league where the QB is a playmaker, dynamic, athletic, can escape the pocket, extend plays, run if needed and just overall, more of a pain in the *** to defend against, it's time to simply move off of the statue QB.

For 2020, Jimmy goes nowhere. And if Lawrence decides to stay in college for his senior season or something horrible happens, I use those first rounders on building up other areas of the team and keep Jimmy G because, well there's nobody else.

Of course, this is all more fantasy as I don't see the 49ers/Lynch/Shanahan being ballsy enough to actually attempt/try this but it would be the perfect time. Unload a few aging players, put that cap room towards younger UFA's and save more money in 2021 why trading away Jimmy and having a franchise QB under a rookie contract which will be huge cap room wise when it comes time to resign Bosa, Samuel and others.

Draft fantasy aside, I do believe that the team should trade/release those four players that I mentioned to start the post and re-sign Armstead/Ward/Sanders in that order.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Disagree, the interior was bad. Jones was killing them and getting constant push. Person is passable but not strong enough to hold his own against these strong IDL. 

I didn't see constant push from Jones. I remember them having some success with a couple of stunts Jones was involved in. I haven't re-watched the game, nor do I ever plan to. Jones disrupted the game more by batting balls then he did with his interior pressure from my perspective. 

I never felt Jimmy was under heavy duress with them rushing just four. Their blitz was definitely giving him issues, as he got antsy a couple of times and missed Kittle open on a couple of plays.

• Like 1

I hope Jimmy works on his foot work. Most of his throws are always to high which is because he gets lazy with his foot work. He never plants his back foot there usually side ways or in a awkward spot. I'm sure alot has to do with his quick release being to fast for his feet to get planted. 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

Didn't really notice him. Bottom line is that he's really just an overpaid depth piece at this point. People cling to the one play he'll make every 3 weeks or something, typically against bad offensive lines, as though it's a sign he's going to break out but then he just disappears. 

That being said, we aren't going to pick up his option, but I see no reason to move him for peanuts for saving 4 million. I'd rather just keep him since he knows the system, keeps continuity, etc and at least there's a chance that something pops (especially in a contract year). Maybe he goes AA on us next season

Thomas put pressure on Mahomes at least twice.

I am very curious to see what they do with Pettis and even more curious why he was in the doghouse and couldnt get out.

He made some huge strides towards the end of his rookie year and looked very promising, especially with an off-season coming that he could work on his craft.

NOW, he looks like a failed pick that, if not traded this off-season, will get cut next training camp. 

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Weirdly enough I have a feeling we are going to pick up solly's option lmao

I dont think that's weird tbh. Just like with AA, they might see potential and don't want to write off a fairly high draft pick. Now AA's problem was more availability. Solly has just underperformed BUT they may still have faith in his abilities. His sophomore year you could basically write off because he was dealing with his sister's suicide and was clearly reeling from it. This year he made some strides but not enough to evoke much support from the fanbase. I could see them moving on from him much like the other high first rounders who failed to live up to their draft status. But I can also see how they could stick with him because they like him and still believe there's potential. If someone had of told you this time last year that AA would be arguably our best player on defense and lead a elite defense into the SB, you might have thought they were on drugs. You just never know. Obviously the organization saw enough there when many ppl including myself were saying we should trade AA last off-season for a pick. Solly could fall into that category as well. We'll see how it shakes out going forward.

Edited by 757-NINER

7 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I am very curious to see what they do with Pettis and even more curious why he was in the doghouse and couldnt get out.

He made some huge strides towards the end of his rookie year and looked very promising, especially with an off-season coming that he could work on his craft.

NOW, he looks like a failed pick that, if not traded this off-season, will get cut next training camp. 

My guess is Shanahan talked with him on getting his mind right use rest of season to be ready to compete next year. They probably let him compete and if he doesn't improve they move him right before the season starts. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is Shanahan talked with him on getting his mind right use rest of season to be ready to compete next year. They probably let him compete and if he doesn't improve they move his right before the season starts. 

Welp, the only issue I would have with that is he was in the dog house since week 4 or 5 (correct me if im wrong, but thats what it felt like), if that is the case, he had MORE than enough time to 'get his mind right' or fix whatever the issue was by the end of the season.

Dont get me wrong, I thought at the end of his rookie season he had potential to be special, but now I am seeing what seems to be a player with a lack of passion for the game, a finesse player that had NO 'dog' in him. Just look at our other WR's, one of these is not like the other(s).

Edited by P_locniners

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I dont think that's weird tbh. Just like with AA, they might see potential and don't want to write off a fairly high draft pick. Now AA's problem was more availability. Solly has just underperformed BUT they may still have faith in his abilities. His sophomore year you could basically write off because he was dealing with his sister's suicide and was clearly reeling from it. This year he made some strides but not enough to evoke much support from the fanbase. I could see them moving on from him much like the other high first rounders who failed to live up to their draft status. But I can also see how they could stick with him because they like him and still believe there's potential. If someone had of told you this time last year that AA would be arguably our best player on defense and lead a elite defense into the SB, you might have thought they were on drugs. You just never know. Obviously the organization saw enough there when many ppl including myself were saying we should trade AA last off-season for a pick. Solly could fall into that category as well. We'll see how it shakes out going forward.

It would be super weird decision to me.  His option is like almost 16 million for a team that doesn't have a ton of cap room moving forward, particularly in the early year extension of guys like Kittle, Buck, possibly AA and others. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

It would be super weird decision to me.  His option is like almost 16 million for a team that doesn't have a ton of cap room moving forward, particularly in the early year extension of guys like Kittle, Buck, possibly AA and others. 

In madden, I picked up his option and by years end I was wondering why i was in the hole. Well Solly at 14 mill was the issue.