General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Speaking of RBs, what do you all think the market for David Johnson will be? 

(Not sure how he'd fit in Shanny's scheme so not suggesting either way whether they should target him or not)

I think he will end up in Pittsburgh. He went to Pitt. They could use another runner imo 

Miami could also make sense. Colts and Seattle too 

Very interested to see what they do with McKinnon, he does have a skill set that our other running back dont have in that he is a top notch RB/WR. Im just wondering who the odd man out will be? Mostert is definitely in, so it would come down to Coleman and Breida, and based off of how Breida ended the season it doesnt look good for him. On the other hand, McKinnon kinda blanks out Coleman and it would save us money releasing Coleman, especially on a cap strapped year.

McKinnon is also a huge gamble, but I tend to be overly optimistic with players coming off big injuries like McKinnon, Hurd and T. Taylor. 

If these guys stay healthy, it is adding very potent pieces to an already above average offense. Having Deebo, T. Taylor, Kittle, McKinnon, Mostert and potentially Sanders back in the fold looks great on paper. Then you add in the potential of Hurd, really could make our offense look different (in a good way) next year.

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

Very interested to see what they do with McKinnon, he does have a skill set that our other running back dont have in that he is a top notch RB/WR. Im just wondering who the odd man out will be? Mostert is definitely in, so it would come down to Coleman and Breida, and based off of how Breida ended the season it doesnt look good for him. On the other hand, McKinnon kinda blanks out Coleman and it would save us money releasing Coleman, especially on a cap strapped year.

McKinnon is also a huge gamble, but I tend to be overly optimistic with players coming off big injuries like McKinnon, Hurd and T. Taylor. 

If these guys stay healthy, it is adding very potent pieces to an already above average offense. Having Deebo, T. Taylor, Kittle, McKinnon, Mostert and potentially Sanders back in the fold looks great on paper. Then you add in the potential of Hurd, really could make our offense look different (in a good way) next year.

Coleman is probably the odd man out because of his cap hit. If McKinnon is willing to take a significant paycut AND is healthy, its a no-brainer really. We need to free up space and plug a couple of holes, depth wise. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Coleman is probably the odd man out because of his cap hit. If McKinnon is willing to take a significant paycut AND is healthy, its a no-brainer really. We need to free up space and plug a couple of holes, depth wise. 

Yep, makes sense. I could be happy with McKinnon, Mostert, Breida, Wilson backfield......maybe even see if they draft an RB

I don't know if anyone has said this before in the thread but here's a wild Idea ...just spitballing...don't @ me 

let jimmy ward walk
move sherm to FS 
trade for desmond Trufant
draft a corner STILL at #31

Sherman has the football intellegence to get guys ined up and quarterback the secondary just not the footwork to play corner as much anymore but his brain is superlative as a coach on the field

desmond trufant has played in the system and done well in it being in ATL 

Mosley has proven he is a "Dawg" and can be relied on in a pinch but lets get a bigger body in there

just a thought

43 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

I don't know if anyone has said this before in the thread but here's a wild Idea ...just spitballing...don't @ me 

let jimmy ward walk
move sherm to FS 

Sherman has the football intellegence to get guys ined up and quarterback the secondary just not the footwork to play corner as much anymore but his brain is superlative as a coach on the field

Mosley has proven he is a "Dawg" and can be relied on in a pinch but lets get a bigger body in there

just a thought

Idk if I like Sherman@FS. His lateral movement isn't great and he's lost what little speed he had, as he's gotten older. The thing with guys like Ward and Moore is both have great range because both are quick-twitch and their speed allows them to cover alot of gound. Sherman's IQ could definitely cover up for some of his short-cummings in terms of speed and agility. But sometimes, you just need to be able to physically cover alot of grass and I don't think that is Sherman's wheelhouse.

Not to mention we have no idea if he even wants to play FS. Being a boundary CB actually helps mask some of Sherman's physical limitations. The sideline acts as a extra defender and having him play off alot allows him to read the QB and keep everything in front of him. His IQ allows him to identify route concepts and tendencies and break on the ball and make plays like that. That's easier to do when you only have to worry about only your side of the field. Even when he's in press, his strength and his technique with his jam helps slow down WRs and disrupts their timing within the route. All those little nuisanced technical advantages go away when you stick him in the middle of the field, asking him to cover hash to hash, every single play AND make him come downhill in run support. 

And I like Mosely over Trufant. E-Man is just scratching the surface in terms of what he'll develop into. People forget this was essentially his rookie year, as 2019 was wiped out by a injury. He should only enhance his game and improve going forward. He'll physically get stronger as well as improve on his technique. 

Edited by 757-NINER

44 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

let jimmy ward walk
move sherm to FS 

just a thought

This is sort of a break glass type situation, for a couple of reasons. I don't mind the idea of acquiring Trufant (though Xavier Rhodes is going to get cut, and while he's been pretty dreadful lately, he may benefit considerably to moving toward more of a cover 3 zone based scheme due to his movement inadequacies and honestly, he should be super cheap, and that's assuming that we are looking to add a starting level type corner to the team, which I don't think is a guarantee). 

But you have to pay Trufant 10+ million. We really need to know what Ward's market is before I would agree to shipping assets for Trufant. The FS market is pretty slim this year, so I could absolutely see someone overpay (cleveland with Joe woods could be a good location), but also, I could see teams not buying this season and have concerns about him moving forward and having his market somewhat crater. 

If you can get Ward on a shorter term deal at a comparable AAV to Trufant, you'd probably just want to do that. We don't know if Sherm can transition to safety. That's a big gamble during a super bowl window. Your tackling already becomes worse because Ward is one of the most reliable tacklers at the position. Sherm probably won't have the same range as Ward either. 

That's before you have to consider that we would have to move an asset to acquire Trufant.