General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

21 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Hard to argue with it. Save 9-10 mil on the cap between Coleman and JMcK. 

Still have Mostert, Breida, and Wilson... bring in a late or UDFA and that is still a good group of RBs. 

:/ 

Yep.

Never liked the McKinnon signing I'm the first place.

Easy cut imo.

43 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Hard to argue with it. Save 9-10 mil on the cap between Coleman and JMcK. 

Still have Mostert, Breida, and Wilson... bring in a late or UDFA and that is still a good group of RBs. 

:/ 

If McKinnon is willing to re-structure (which he has gone on record stating he would do) to a more manageable cap hit, that's a no brainier imo. You have bring him back.

His value is at a all-time low. He's just missed two full seasons after signing a huge contract. Its better to re-structure, stay here where the staff and FO know you and value your skill-set as opposed to hitting the market with the 'damaged goods' label and landing somewhere that will just as easily discard you. 

I think Coleman is as good as gone. But if McK can get his number down to something that allows us to have more cap flexibility, I see no reason for him not to return and compete for a spot on the 53 in 2020.

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If McKinnon is willing to re-structure (which he has gone on record stating he would do) to a more manageable cap hit, that's a no brainier imo. You have bring him back.

His value is at a all-time low. He's just missed two full seasons after signing a huge contract. Its better to re-structure, stay here where the staff and FO know you and value your skill-set as opposed to hitting the market with the 'damaged goods' label and landing somewhere that will just as easily discard you. 

I think Coleman is as good as gone. But if McK can get his number down to something that allows us to have more cap flexibility, I see no reason for him not to return and compete for a spot on the 53 in 2020.

So we cut Coleman who actually played and contributed to the success we had this year and keep the guy who watched it all from the side? 

Makes no sense imo, restructure or not.

31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Did not know about that statement. So long as it's a prove-it, cheap AF (with built in incentives, okay) deal. 

Whether cut or big restructure, whatever we can do to drop his cap hit and use the funds for better elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

So we cut Coleman who actually played and contributed to the success we had this year and keep the guy who watched it all from the side? 

Makes no sense imo, restructure or not.

Its simply about money. I doubt seriously Coleman takes a paycut coming off a season where he was fairly productive. He'll land somewhere if he is cut and get decent money from someone.

McK is not in the same boat. He's more willing to re-structure and stick around because he really has no value outside of this franchise at the moment...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-jerick-mckinnon-willing-to-do-whatever-to-remain-with-team-that-he-has-yet-to-play-for/

12 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

How are they gonna play three edge rushers at once? xD

It could actually work just fine. Ford is mainly used in the nickel anyways and in base downs Clowney can play DE and can be moved inside on passing downs. His best work a lot of times comes from the interior. But Clowney is going to ask for massive money and I can't see that working, especially with Buckner's deal coming up.

More realistic, we tag Armstead and then the following year let him hit the market and then draft a DL or get one in free agency. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Buzz your contract, woof! 21 mil a year for A.J. Green?? That's a pricy gamble. The only way I'd do that deal is if it's really a 1- or 2-year deal that allows us to get out of it without much risk. 

• Like 1