Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted by Thompson/McCarthy?

Darkness

Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?

• Yes
    • No

it takes more than one great QB to accomplish what the Packers have. Having a great QB definitely helps, but casual fans and media heads like to oversimplify and exaggerate his impact and make it out like deep playoff runs should be automatic, regardless of other personnel.  In general, a plurality of success comes down to the QB, but I'm not necessarily sure if it's majority. There are 21 other starters. ~22,000 snaps are played by non-qb players. 

Thompson has consistently put together great OL's with mid-round picks which allows Arod to hold onto the ball much longer than most QB's. They've often put together good WR groups without using high picks. They've found some good players for defense, just not enough. When you look at the dynamics that penalize good teams from the draft order to the salary cap, GB has done pretty good. Maybe the Pats have done better, but there aren't really any other examples. GB basically came within a botched onside kick from going to another SB and possibly having 2 titles instead of one. I don't think one play should change the entire narrative of everything. What've the Saints done w/ Brees, or Colts w/ Luck, or Chargers w/ Rivers? or the Colts with Manning? Sustained success is hard in the NFL. Just ask 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers, etc. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

well, what are the criteria we are using. What's the argument for the Colts not wasting Mannings compared to Rodgers right now?

That's the question I'm asking.

I'd say the Colts definitely had more well rounded and better teams on average on average than the Packers have had with Rodgers. The Colts failures were largely because of poor to mediocre play by Peyton in the playoffs. I would say roughly the same for the other QBs as well.

2 hours ago, Darkness said:

It's looking like a different season, same story for the Packers. Aaron Rodgers is about to turn 34 and is in his 13th season.  At what point do the Packers try salvaging the remaining window of Rodgers career 

you work for one of those Enquirer tabloid papers or something like that?

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

they made it to the NFCCG last year, that's hardly wasting potential.

Agreed.  All you can really do in the NFL to give yourself a chance to win a championship is make the postseason - and the Packers have done that.  Just because Aaron Rodgers and the Packers aren't ripping off Superbowl wins like Tom Brady and the Patriots doesn't mean his talent is being wasted.  The Packers are going to be a Superbowl contending team again this season and that's all you can ask for.

i feel the front office has let Rodgers down as of late.  From the outside looking in, the drafts they've had feels like they rely too much on development rather than more polished players coming out of college.  Hardly dipping into the 2nd tier free agents to try and put them over the hump in a position of need, they wait on guys drafted in the late rounds previously. It takes  too long to address issues facing the team. I could be wrong, haven't followed too closely.

24 minutes ago, Malik said:

I'd say the Colts definitely had more well rounded and better teams on average on average than the Packers have had with Rodgers. The Colts failures were largely because of poor to mediocre play by Peyton in the playoffs. I would say roughly the same for the other QBs as well.

idk. debatable. It's not like Arod has played great in all the GB playoff losses either. 

I feel like Belichick and Brady have set such a high bar, that some fanbases unfairly compare their success to the Patriots.    The Packers always have talent on their roster and have made the playoffs every year, including numerous trips to the NFC title game.    While there are better coaches than McCarthy, I think people have unrealistic expectations simply because Rodgers is so good and people think because of that, the Packers should be in the SB all the time.    Some Steeler fans often claim we are wasting Ben, and thats total horsepoo.   I do get annoyed with certain decisions that are and are NOT made, and I will say there are some wasted OPPORTUNITIES....but wasting his career?   No....and the same goes for Rodgers.    

Brees' is being wasted far more than Rodgers..   Luck is on that track as well, but at least he is still pretty young.   

45 minutes ago, Malik said:

Perhaps this is true prior to 2006 or so, but after that, the team just continued to decline and by the time Peyton left, most of the talent on that team was largely depleted.

4 minutes ago, Iced_Earth said:

i feel the front office has let Rodgers down as of late.  From the outside looking in, the drafts they've had feels like they rely too much on development rather than more polished players coming out of college.  Hardly dipping into the 2nd tier free agents to try and put them over the hump in a position of need, they wait on guys drafted in the late rounds previously. It takes  too long to address issues facing the team. I could be wrong, haven't followed too closely.

prior to this season, they basically had been spending the max yearly cap amount & just rolling over the same $7m for emergencies, which is a one-time-use thing. They finally had more space this year due to cutting Shields and have used it to bring in Bennett, House, Brooks. It's not like they've been sitting on a bunch of unused cap space every year. 

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Perhaps this is true prior to 2006 or so, but after that, the team just continued to decline and by the time Peyton left, most of the talent on that team was largely depleted.

2007 they had a really good team. They just had Harrison injured. I think almost the entire year the Colts were still pegged as the only team to have a true shot at upending the Patriots to the Super Bowl (then his brother did it anyways). 2009 the defense was top 10 in points per game and they had some good pieces on offense. 

2010 was the real crap year and Peyton was completely covering for it.

Archived