Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted by Thompson/McCarthy?

Darkness

Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Rodgers prime being wasted?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Revel8 said:

No it's 100% correct when taken in context, something which you have not done so far.  Making things up just doesn't work. 

As was pointed out in this thread long ago:

"Ever since Belichick rebuilt the Patriots and started Brady, they've gone 14-6 without him.  That's a .700 record without their all-time great QB playing.

Why are you using that point in time - when Brady started - as the date when Belichick "rebuilt the Patriots"? Why won't you include his games coaching the Browns, or the 18 games coaching the Patriots before Brady started? The context you seek is dishonest. And the data in the article you linked is flawed, which I've demonstrated.

Actually, nevermind, I just briefly looked at your post history and see that your existence here consists almost entirely of propping up Rodgers and taking shots at Brady. All good brother. Carry on.

I think most people in the thread have it right, that Rodgers has gotten better support than many QBs in the league, but it pales in comparison to an organization like the Patriots. From having watched the Packers so many times in primetime, I'd say there is a lack of creativity in playcalling on the offensive side. It's maybe a bit better this year with a few more pick/rub routes in the passing game (Packers fans can tell me if I'm off there), but there's still a lot of running to the overloaded side, WR screens, 5 wide empty sets, etc. It's often a predictable offense that relies too much on Rodgers' ability to extend the play.

Last night was a prime example. Most of the time I could get an idea of what the Packers were running by their pre-snap offensive formation, and I'm not close to any kind of defensive genius. It was much more difficult to do that with the Falcons offense.

And obviously their defense has been bad the last couple years. Pretty much downhill since their SB-winning season.

8 hours ago, OleXmad said:

His play has been a big part of that, but the packers are more than just a great QB. Ted Thompson+McCarthy are a well oiled machine at putting together a semi competent team around Rodgers.

Some of the shine has come off Thompson the past few years. McCarthy's career has been made by Rodgers. If anything, McCarthy is part of the problem 

I don't think the team around Rodgers is particularly good, but I don't think they are the worst coach/GM tandem to be bailed out by a future HOF QB, either.

I tend to think McCarthy is the larger problem of the two. Every time I watch the Packers, they seem woefully unprepared, out-coached, and the playcalling is vanilla.

No. Now have they been doing an optimal job building a team? No, but they've managed to put together some pretty damn good teams. 3 NFC championship appearances in 7 seasons, a SB win, playoffs every year. If Rodger's prime is being wasted, so was Brees's, and pretty much any elite QB who wasn't a part of a dynasty.

A prime being wasted is what is happening with Luck.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Interesting. Would you say that you have watched many GB games?

I've had Aaron Rodgers in my fantasy keeper league since 2009 so yeah I'd say I watch Packers games more than the average non-Dolphins NFL team. Probably like 6 or so games each year if I had to guess.

In that span I think I could count the number of times I thought "wow, GB brought a nice gameplan in this one" with one hand. Most of the time I watch I see GB getting outcoached and being bailed out by Rodgers. Not that I mind that is a fantasy owner of his, mind you.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I feel like Belichick and Brady have set such a high bar, that some fanbases unfairly compare their success to the Patriots.    The Packers always have talent on their roster and have made the playoffs every year, including numerous trips to the NFC title game.    While there are better coaches than McCarthy, I think people have unrealistic expectations simply because Rodgers is so good and people think because of that, the Packers should be in the SB all the time.    Some Steeler fans often claim we are wasting Ben, and thats total horsepoo.   I do get annoyed with certain decisions that are and are NOT made, and I will say there are some wasted OPPORTUNITIES....but wasting his career?   No....and the same goes for Rodgers.    

Brees' is being wasted far more than Rodgers..   Luck is on that track as well, but at least he is still pretty young.   

I think this is a very reasonable answer, summing up the situation quite well.

21 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I've had Aaron Rodgers in my fantasy keeper league since 2009 so yeah I'd say I watch Packers games more than the average non-Dolphins NFL team. Probably like 6 or so games each year if I had to guess.

In that span I think I could count the number of times I thought "wow, GB brought a nice gameplan in this one" with one hand. Most of the time I watch I see GB getting outcoached and being bailed out by Rodgers. Not that I mind that is a fantasy owner of his, mind you.

That could be confirmation bias at work more than anything else. and playcalling/scheme is only part of a HC's duties. Player development is another major task.

5 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

That could be confirmation bias at work more than anything else. and playcalling/scheme is only part of a HC's duties. Player development is another major task.

I mean it could be, but I've defended Mike McCarthy as a good coach in the past, a quick search in the old forum would probably tell you. My opinion soured on him over the last couple years.

Of course, perhaps the sample size of Packers games I watch is not great enough. Mayhaps he puts together coaching masterpieces when I'm not watching *shrugs*

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean it could be, but I've defended Mike McCarthy as a good coach in the past, a quick search in the old forum would probably tell you. My opinion soured on him over the last couple years.

Of course, perhaps the sample size of Packers games I watch is not great enough. Mayhaps he puts together coaching masterpieces when I'm not watching *shrugs*

perhaps. but I doubt most fans could recognize a coaching masterpiece even if they did see it.

Archived