Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

All this talk of tagging Dak or tagging Amari, why not tag Byron Jones? If you are unsure about him being the guy for the next 5 years and the Cowboys obviously are, then tag him unexclusive. We have the money this year, and he'll be off the books next. You get one more year of play, or maybe a team gets froggy and we negotiate a trade. I just don't think a late 3rd or 4th round comp pick that we may or may not get is the right ROI. 

Maybe the Cowboys know something about his hip that we don't. I don't know. I just feel like we continually and annually let our unwanted good players waltz into FA while other teams are selling theirs for profit.

He doesn't get interceptions though......

On 2/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, SweetFancyMoses said:

IMO, if we are trading up for a player in the first, it should be a qb or an absolute game changer.  Young, Simmons, Brown, and maybe Kinlaw are the ones that qualify.   I still feel the price is way too high.   I'd rather wait and see if someone drops.   Look for a good deal to drop down if not, and consider moving up in the 2-4th rds, where the price is more reasonable.   

Good thing we got that week 17 moral victory! 

I feel like bagging on Byron for not shadowing guys is missing the point too

2 INTs in 5 years, yeah he’s not much of a playmaker. But it’s bizarre how he went from someone so versatile that we didn’t even know where to put him to someone typecast as a Cover 3 boundary CB

*Maybe* the guy who played all 5 DB positions as a goddamn rookie could follow #1 WRs across the formation. He may not be the best at it, but let’s be sure not to give the benefit of the doubt to the former coaching staff instead of him

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

These tweets are missing the point. How many snaps did he face against those guys. One of you twitter people should reach out and find that answer. 

I don't know, this is like the Dak debate. It can be pounded to death with stats, buts and what ifs and still get nowhere. 

It's a horrible idea to release Jones, imo. The end. 

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't know, this is like the Dak debate. It can be pounded to death with stats, buts and what ifs and still get nowhere. 

It's a horrible idea to release Jones, imo. The end. 

Here is my point:

Me: Byron doesnt face the good WRs very often

Others: But look how successful he is!

Me: He is doing it against the lowest competition 

Others: But he doesnt give up many completions!!

Me: Does it matter if he is covering JJ Whitside who is Wentz #7 target after 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 2 WRs..... Why would anyone target their #2 WR against the best CB instead of the #1 WR against the lesser CB?

Others: Top 10!!

Its just the same thing on repeat. Until I have any proof that he can cover top tier WRs, I dont understand why we "need" him. Obviously I want him as much as anyone, but I think at $16m we can replace him. 

Edited by Matts4313

30 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Here is my point:

Me: Byron doesnt face the good WRs very often

Others: But look how successful he is!

Me: He is doing it against the lowest competition 

Others: But he doesnt give up many completions!!

Me: Does it matter if he is covering JJ Whitside who is Wentz #7 target after 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 2 WRs..... Why would anyone target their #2 WR against the best CB instead of the #1 WR against the lesser CB?

Others: Top 10!!

Its just the same thing on repeat. Until I have any proof that he can cover top tier WRs, I dont understand why we "need" him. Obviously I want him as much as anyone, but I think at $16m we can replace him. 

Equivalent comments can also be made about our QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

you first, show in snap counts and game logs exactly where Jones doesn't face the team's premier receiver very often. 

Did you just miss the tweets where Wizard asked a beat writer and even they dont have that information?

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Did you just miss the tweets where Wizard asked a beat writer and even they dont have that information?

We have game tape available. You're the one obsessed with stats, so why not just go through and do the snap count of how many times he has faced off against them, how many times he was targeted, how many receptions he allowed, yards, TD's, INT's etc. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

We have game tape available. You're the one obsessed with stats, so why not just go through and do the snap count of how many times he has faced off against them, how many times he was targeted, how many receptions he allowed, yards, TD's, INT's etc. 

Because I dont care about a RCB enough to watch tape. But maybe I will screen a highlight tape and try and tally it up

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because I dont care about a RCB enough to watch tape. But maybe I will screen a highlight tape and try and tally it up

Ok so if you don't have stats or facts how can you sit there and say he doesn't face off against the No.1 receiver when 3 of his most notable games came against marquee receivers?

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Ok so if you don't have stats or facts how can you sit there and say he doesn't face off against the No.1 receiver when 3 of his most notable games came against marquee receivers?

Because I watch every snap of every game - many games a second time on the all 22 - and Chido is far more often lined up against the #1.

Secondly, I am a coach and I understand the basic principle that the LCB has the harder job.

Lastly, because its common sense that any offensive coordinator is going to target Chido or our slot CB before Byron Jones. 

Is this really that hard of a concept that you are debating its validity? 

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

He doesn't get interceptions though......

No he does not, but I would at least like to see him in a different defensive scheme. I'll look up the rankings for the past few years here in a minute but right now I feel like we have been bottom of the league to below average in interceptions for the last decade or so as a team. I think we have been running the same non blitzing, straight forward, line up and play defense since '13. 

I've seen him attempt a swat away when other CBs might go for the pick(if they could get in his position) to many times for me to ever think Byron will ever be a ball hawking 5 to 7 interceptions a year guy.

But I'd like to think a different scheme with more disguise and blitzing could see him luck into 2 or 3 a year.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes to a new team and does just that.