Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

31 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jerry "well how the hell else do you expect me to pay for that yacht?!"

Funny, sad and true.  Teams have failed miserably when they've gone big time into free agency.  Im not advocating a spending spree for external free agents.  But i am tired of mid to low round picks or signing other teams castoffs as a solution to never ending position problems like safety and DT.  There has to be a compromise right?

58 minutes ago, Northland said:

I want to hear Dallas explain this. It's one thing to be careful with spending.  It's another to be dead last in payroll spent since 2016. It really lends credence to the argument that all Jerry cares about is revenue.  If the tickets are sold and the stadium is full that's all that matters.  If the profits are flowing in who cares?

Yeah, I mean... I get it to an extent. We had a lot of bad contracts/dead money to get out of. But my god, dead last in real cash spent on our roster the last four years? Way to waste Dak’s rookie contract guys

Wanna know why players refuse to negotiate in good faith with our team, why Dak’s, D-Law’s, and whoever else’s agents are constantly raising their demands in the middle of negotiations instead of trying to meet us in the middle? This is why. Because it’s also bad faith by the most valuable franchise in sports to say, “Well actually, you guys should take less to stay here because of your off-field opportunities.”

11 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Given the spending Dallas has done outside of their own, I suppose this really shouldn't be all that surprising. I mean, the team has done the same thing  in FA 4-5 years in a row. They sit while everyone else signs the upper tier FA and we wait for the scraps. Pretty tough to sell that you as an organization are doing your all to bring a title after seeing this and then knowing they're going to let their top CB walk. 

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Given the spending Dallas has done outside of their own, I suppose this really shouldn't be all that surprising. I mean, the team has done the same thing  in FA 4-5 years in a row. They sit while everyone else signs the upper tier FA and we wait for the scraps. Pretty tough to sell that you as an organization are doing your all to bring a title after seeing this and then knowing they're going to let their top CB walk. 

I love our off season approach...

If anything we have been offseason champs since Tyron Smith. I wouldn't trade another teams off season for ours.

I don't agree 100% with every move we have made over the last 10 years but it's better than most(all) others.

Letting go of Byron, stalling on Dak, and balking on Amari are NOT like the last 10 years.

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

So when is Dak going to turn into a runner and be a true dual threat QB like Jackson? I mean he got alot of passing TDs this year but when is he going to start making run TDs? 

How bout Zeke? I mean we all know he can run but the true threats of the backfield do alot of receiving this day in age. I mean like at Kamara, Barkley, McCaffery. 

Or lastly Cooper. I mean we all know he can play home games really well but when are we going to start seeing him at away games? 

This doesn't help the argument at all cause I'm on your side for all of those contract decisions.

Im questioning the Zeke contract. I'm wary of the Dak contract also, even I have a limit.

Cooper is the only player I'm sold on cause his talent for his craft isn't matched by alot in the league right now.

Whatever happens I'm 90% sure we aren't bringing Byron back and I'm somewhat glad because I like him overall as a fan but feeling the sting of a bad contract is honestly the worst feeling.

We already made a mistake with the Zeke contract so let's not double down on our mistakes right now.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Also why are we so sure to splurge on FA to max out the cap this year? We don't get a shot at the super bowl every year realistically guys, there are 
"reloading years" and "all in year". You need load up years and you can really go all in once you are sure the coaching staff knows how to use the talent we already have.

This past year was our "load up year" and we failed. Now we need to relax at-least for 1 season capwise and restock talent & depth. It's just how every sports team with a cap restriction works in this day & age unless your New England.

As of right now MM and his staff hasn't had the chance to prove that yet. 

15 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Also why are we so sure to splurge on FA to max out the cap this year? We don't get a shot at the super bowl every year realistically guys, there are 
"reloading years" and "all in year". You need load up years and you can really go all in once you are sure the coaching staff knows how to use the talent we already have.

This past year was our "load up year" and we failed. Now we need to relax at-least for 1 season capwise and restock talent & depth. It's just how every sports team with a cap restriction works in this day & age unless your New England.

As of right now MM and his staff hasn't had the chance to prove that yet. 

In this year’s case, we can do both. We have more than enough cap space to sign many of our own UFAs as well as a few others if we’re smart about it not penny pinch. Obviously, that doesn’t mean throw bloated contracts at guys, but it also doesn’t mean that we should be digging at the bottom of the barrel, either.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

In this year’s case, we can do both. We have more than enough cap space to sign many of our own UFAs as well as a few others if we’re smart about it not penny pinch. Obviously, that doesn’t mean throw bloated contracts at guys, but it also doesn’t mean that we should be digging at the bottom of the barrel, either.

People are forgetting Stephen nor Jerry has said anything about going big in FA. We've heard no rumors from anyone at the HQ about them making a splash in FA. So if Byron walks, more then likely we would be passing on Harris among others and still signing bottom of the barrel FA's.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Really hope the Raiders pull the trigger on Jones.

You back off my boy...... he should've started and finished his career in Philly :(

I am worried about y'all or another team being able to outbid us though.

I don't want to go past like 17 or 18 million for his services.

Hopefully he just picks Philly cause we offer him a better chance to win and a chance to stick it to Jerry.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

You back off my boy...... he should've started and finished his career in Philly :(

Hopefully he just picks Philly cause we offer him a better chance to win and a chance to stick it to Jerry.

Hey last both our teams went on a bidding war for a CB it worked out well. Well not for you guys anyway

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Well, he’d fit right in with the rest of your DBs who also give up huge plays at the most inopportune times and never generate turnovers.

33 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Hey last both our teams went on a bidding war for a CB it worked out well. Well not for you guys anyway

I doubt you guys are even gonna be bidding this time, so maybe it works out lol

28 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Well, he’d fit right in with the rest of your DBs who also give up huge plays at the most inopportune times and never generate turnovers.

You guys are really spoiled if you want to compare Byron to some of the outside corners we've had to put up with for years now.

The no interceptions part is valid though, but since when have we really had a corner that generated INTs like that? Asante? How long ago was that now? lol

2 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Sign of a good front office is everyone is dying to sign your free agents almost anytime they are available.

Good teams who draft well constantly have more talent than they can keep.

Nobody really argues that the Cowboys aren't good at drafting (especially first round).

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nobody really argues that the Cowboys aren't good at drafting (especially first round).

We actually have some Cowboy fans who hate our drafting...and wish we'd draft like the Patriots (who are awful at drafting).

(Shrugs) Dumb fans exists for *every* team.

• Like 1