2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

Just now, Counselor said:

He also has a ton of mileage on him

Agreed. If you somehow get him at let’s say 35 overall he’s going to produce for that rookie contract. But it’s impressive he’s still compact with the mileage already on him.

I found the link with the combine study and flawed conventional wisdom regarding 40 yard dash time and whether it was more significant to wide receivers or running backs. No question the league views the 40 as more vital to wide receivers. It should be the other way around:

"For running backs, however, the sprint time seemed to be a fairly accurate predictor for not only the draft order, but also the players’ success as professional football players, as noted by the fact that faster players tended to earn more money, play more games, and have higher average yards. This can be a rational interpretation, since running backs are heavily influenced by their ability to outrun the opponents, and that along with some other qualities alone can make them dominate the game even at the professional level. Not surprisingly, the other seven Combine measurements used in this study did not prove to be a useful predictor for the players’ career, even for running backs."

<snip>

"This correlation is noteworthy considering that the analogous plot for wide receivers had little correlation. Overall, running backs are more diversely affected by the Combine measurements in their draft status than wide receivers. However, 40-yard dash is the one drill that could make a difference. Even in the NFL, the ability to run fast for 40 yards seems to be a defining factor for dominating the game. For wide receivers, running fast did not simply translate to NFL success, but it appears that the notion of fast equals better is true to a certain degree for running backs."

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Yea, that's a considerable difference. Shouldn't effect him until his 2nd contract though, unless he's used like the cowboys used Demarco murray.

I agree on this. You could get incredible value of someone like that in their early career.

• Like 1

I have been thinking my steelers would look at a rb on day 2 with no one in our backfield able to stay healthy. We have set up interviews this week with 5 of them i believe so it looks like they are on the same thought process. I really wanted to see ackers vs dobbins in the workouts today as those were the top 2 fits I liked for us but Ackers is working his way out of reach for us. Kind of disappointed that dobbins is not working out but in the end it could help him fall to our pick.