Breaking Down the new CBA: Changes to Playoff Structure for 2020 and more

jetskid007

Obviously relevant as it gives us a better chance to make the postseason lol. 

Basics: 

• 7 teams per conference (4 division winners; 3 Wild Card teams) 
  • 1st seed is the only team to receive a bye
  • 3 games per conference on wild card weekend: #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6; #4 vs. #5
Edited by jetskid007

I hate this idea, we will be like hockey and basketball, where you could have a 500 team and a sub 500 team in the playoffs. It is bad enough with the current system. When just a few years ago the  Seahawks made the playoffs with a 7-9 record, no only did they make the playoffs they got home field advantage in their first game, and that was crazy.

• Like 1

Couple things I took from this...

1st off I’m all for an extra team making the playoffs. Remember 4 seasons ago when if we won against Buffalo we made the playoffs and we lost. We would have gotten in that year under this new system.

2nd is that the players minimum salaries are supposed to be increased significantly. Without more info that’s not good. Means these guys we have under 1mill will be over and make for less cap space. The league could increase the salary cap significantly to help this, but I haven’t read that anywhere yet.

3rd is that Jamal Adams has already spoke out about this and that he thinks the players should get even more money now. Actually Richard Sherman reaches out to him on his tweet to explain that’s not how this works really. Seems we have a money driven guy who talks too much on our hands. Love the kids play. But he’s really starting to rub me the wrong way every time he tweets or opens his mouth.

The NFL, unlike the NBA and NHL who plays seven games series, the NFL plays one and done, and some mediocre team could get lucky due to weather conditions and defeat a team with a high seasons record. This whole idea by Roger Goodell is just another greedy money grab by the NFL. This plan takes away the valve of regular season games. This plan makes is a real possibilities of a 8-8 team making the playoffs. And I sure don't want to see that.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Couple things I took from this...

1st off I’m all for an extra team making the playoffs. Remember 4 seasons ago when if we won against Buffalo we made the playoffs and we lost. We would have gotten in that year under this new system.

2nd is that the players minimum salaries are supposed to be increased significantly. Without more info that’s not good. Means these guys we have under 1mill will be over and make for less cap space. The league could increase the salary cap significantly to help this, but I haven’t read that anywhere yet.

3rd is that Jamal Adams has already spoke out about this and that he thinks the players should get even more money now. Actually Richard Sherman reaches out to him on his tweet to explain that’s not how this works really. Seems we have a money driven guy who talks too much on our hands. Love the kids play. But he’s really starting to rub me the wrong way every time he tweets or opens his mouth.

I absolutely can’t stand Jamal Adams the person. 

Elite talent, best player on our team by far but he’s an unlikable person at this moment. 

As for the playoffs I don’t see why the #2 seed is awarded the same benefits of the #1 outside of the additional home game should it come to that. 

i like 7 teams getting in. Let’s just keep it right there. 

The 17th game is what concerns me, especially for teams who are out of contention by November. Another meaningless game for them and if we’re one of these teams it just exposes guys to injury. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'll never fault a player for prioritizing finances and maximizing their potential value. On the field you need team first guys, but off the field, when it comes to personal finances? Jamal would be doing himself and his family a huge disservice by not being a "money driven guy".  In a perfect world you get a guy who isn't compelled to "chase the bag" but that's their decision and I certainly won't hold it against them, so long as that individual is all ball on the field, which Jamal obviously is (He's literally said a football field would be the perfect place to die) 

Jamals issue, and where I agree with you, is that he doesn't seem to have any idea what he's talking about lol. His heads in the right place but obviously he lacks a clear understanding of the business side of the game works. He's young, he'll learn. 

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily crazy about making the regular season 17 games. For one, I don't like the odd number. I get that the NFL is going to try to use a neutral site instead of uneven home/away games, but it's still another game on the road in my mind and another opportunity for a player to get injured prior to the postseason. Personally, I would prefer 3 preseason games while extending the season to 18 weeks and give teams 2 bye weeks would be better as a hardcore/strategic fan who wants to see his team healthy. NFL still sees a huge revenue boost because fans are watching more games, but understandably not nearly as much money as an extra game will net. 

This playoff format is going to be awesome though. No more will we see teams tanking it in the final week. There will be so much more to play for between the #1-#3 seeds and #4-7 seeds in the final week of the season. Don't think we'll see much "resting" going forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

The NFL, unlike the NBA and NHL who plays seven games series, the NFL plays one and done, and some mediocre team could get lucky due to weather conditions and defeat a team with a high seasons record. This whole idea by Roger Goodell is just another greedy money grab by the NFL. This plan takes away the valve of regular season games. This plan makes is a real possibilities of a 8-8 team making the playoffs. And I sure don't want to see that.

The good news, is that it would actually be exceedingly rare for a 8-8 team in the playoffs. Simply because it would require a tie under the new 17 game season.

• Like 1

I am fine with this as long as we see games this year without a strike.  The best teams will rise to the top no matter how many teams are in the playoffs.   

P.S. Jamal is best safety in the game whose public opinions have not affected his play on the field.   

1 hour ago, famousj said:

I am fine with this as long as we see games this year without a strike.  The best teams will rise to the top no matter how many teams are in the playoffs.   

P.S. Jamal is best safety in the game whose public opinions have not affected his play on the field.   

Well there’s plenty of players who run their mouth and still produce. OBJ was criticized all last season for his antics. And he still has 1,000yds. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t leave a very sour taste in fans mouth. 

Looking like weed for all intents and purposes will be "legalized" as well. Kept the ability to fine in there, but they probably had to keep some sort of penalty enforcement to meet contractual obligations with existing sponsors. For all intents and purposes, it’s essentially just punitive in the form of fines if a player gets caught

13 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

As for the playoffs I don’t see why the #2 seed is awarded the same benefits of the #1 outside of the additional home game should it come to that. 

i like 7 teams getting in. Let’s just keep it right there. 

The 17th game is what concerns me, especially for teams who are out of contention by November. Another meaningless game for them and if we’re one of these teams it just exposes guys to injury. 

Yeah, I agree with all of this. It's terrible for athlete health as well. Bodies will get worn out sooner with more games.