NFLPA Fact Sheet on new CBA (UPDATED WITH FULL CBA 3/5)

scar988

On 2/22/2020 at 2:03 PM, SwAg said:

I don’t even know if you’re responding to me because if you are you missed the point on my vision remark by such a huge degree that I wouldn’t know how to respond.

Lots of hot takes at us for our vision insurance takes.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:47 PM, bomont said:

Yeah I don't know how they could afford eye exams and glasses on those paltry salaries (which are only going up about another $100K ish; which of course would never cover it).

Talk about laughable xD

Also, kudos to the NFLPA for insisting on getting life insurance. I was offered that perk as a 10 year old on my paper route. (I'm serious)

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lots of hot takes at us for our vision insurance takes.

Also, kudos to the NFLPA for insisting on getting life insurance. I was offered that perk as a 10 year old on my paper route. (I'm serious)

A majority of life insurance policies (for what they're billed as) have devolved into scams nowadays, but they do make for extremely good conveyances to save/invest in - i.e. something akin to a savings bond without the concrete maturity term.  Without getting too off-topic the insurance industry twisted itself up, but policies still have their uses.  What this reads more to me like is forced/coerced financial planning for players - which they should be doing anyway, but sadly many don't.  Thing is, if they're going to helicopter parent the players like this, they ought to quit tiptoeing around the issue and just provide them with fiduciaries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

A majority of life insurance policies (for what they're billed as) have devolved into scams nowadays, but they do make for extremely good conveyances to save/invest in - i.e. something akin to a savings bond without the concrete maturity term.  Without getting too off-topic the insurance industry twisted itself up, but policies still have their uses.  What this reads more to me like is forced/coerced financial planning for players - which they should be doing anyway, but sadly many don't.  Thing is, if they're going to helicopter parent the players like this, they ought to quit tiptoeing around the issue and just provide them with fiduciaries.

Or make them put their money into a pension ala teachers with STRS or many others with Social Security, albeit in a privatized version.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or make them put their money into a pension ala teachers with STRS or many others with Social Security, albeit in a privatized version.

Eh... to be fair I'm not the biggest fan of how our (teachers') STRS is handled, but that's because I've actually been paying attention to business and investing since I was fresh out of college (and I also have the benefit that my best friend is a fiduciary who started his own multi-million dollar financial planning firm 5 years ago and has already-since absorbed another wealth-planning firm with a legal arm under his umbrella).

The thing that a lot of people who don't have much experience with collective bargaining always zone in on, ironically by design, and rarely realize is that benefits are a red herring in CBA discussions.  They're the easiest thing to walk back on the premise of "we can't afford it" in lean times (they also aren't bankruptcy-proof - which I realize is moot for the NFL, but holds true of collective bargaining).  If management ever convinces labor that benefits need to be ironed out before wage/pay increase is discussed, they've already won 90% of the battle for that CB session; selling/justifying a pay reduction is much more difficult than scaling back benefits, if for no other reason than benefits are something constantly on the table that labor can concede all aspects or portions of in future bargaining sessions/agreements.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Eh... to be fair I'm not the biggest fan of how our (teachers') STRS is handled, but that's because I've actually been paying attention to business and investing since I was fresh out of college (and I also have the benefit that my best friend is a fiduciary who started his own multi-million dollar financial planning firm 5 years ago and has already-since absorbed another wealth-planning firm with a legal arm under his umbrella).

I also invest on the side because I am skeptical of all things government funding related, but that’s another story and topic.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I also invest on the side because I am skeptical of all things government funding related, but that’s another story and topic.

Mine was for far more greedy purposes (not necessarily the money, but more my time).  My fiduciary got my wife and I set up into several REIT's that yield enough in dividends to allowed us enough to shoulder the tuition for my EdD and now have us comfortable enough that I don't have to sweat teaching summer school (unless out of sheer boredom - which I promise you won't be the case).  So I'm greedily able to focus my vacation time more on spending it with my kids and growing the non-profit that I sit of the BoD.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

They sent the CBA to the players for a vote. 10 years, no opt out.

Is there a more inept player union in professional sports than the NFLPA?

You know it will pass based on all the fringe player votes.

Has there ever been a CBA reached on the very first attempt proposed by the Owners? It's almost like there was no negotiating? 

It’s like I’ve said before.

Quarterbacks need to be the one spearheading these union meetings of they want teeth behind their threats.

There’s a lot of average joes who need that extra 100k than the JJ Watts of the world. If you want your union to be strong, the lower tiered players need money and the luxury of being able to sit out.

MLB and NBA have the luxury of smaller active rosters. Unlike the NFL. Lower tiered guys get paid better.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

When things REALLY get ugly is when the top tier types try to speak for the bottom tier guys. 

It’s easy to strike when you have money. However, lower level guys will cross that picket line every time if the gap is big enough.

I’m just speculating, but there won’t be a NFLPA in 20 years. The lower level guys will eventually get screwed over by higher level guys. Then the question of “why do I pay union dues if I’m not being represented?” will be brought up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’m just speculating, but there won’t be a NFLPA in 20 years. The lower level guys will eventually get screwed over by higher level guys. Then the question of “why do I pay union dues if I’m not being represented?” will be brought up

The NFLPA is a result of football's antitrust exemption. I can't imagine that's going anywhere, the NFL owners are probably a lot more scared of Vince McMahon or what NCAA football will look like in 20 years than the union.

So this is interesting bc I didn't think it would happen this quickly. This includes the one extra game and subtracting one preseason game and 12 padded practices, right?

That's the one thing (and I'm generally naive) I don't like about this. Love the extra playoff game but I'm not sure what all is included in this except slight roster adjustments and what I said above