Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we did elect to go away from OT, give me Henry Ruggs. He would open up our offense so much more. 

who is coming off the field Landry or OBJ? Stef doesnt like using 3 WRs. He uses 1-2 WRs a lot more than 3 WRs. Browns need a 1st rd pick who can be immediate impact player. 3rd/4th WR isn’t that important at the moment 

Edited by buno67

23 minutes ago, buno67 said:

who is coming off the field Landry or OBJ? Stef doesnt like using 3 WRs. He uses 1-2 WRs a lot more than 3 WRs. Browns need a 1st rd pick who can be immediate impact player. 3rd/4th WR isn’t that important at the moment 

Stefanski never had a good #3. Minnesota tried for years to find a #3 and were never able to. It’s more about what they had to work with, not necessarily on the personnel he likes. 

If you don’t think Ruggs would have an immediate impact, I don’t know what to tell you. He has game breaking speed and plays like a WR 2x his size. Steve Smith clone. The HOF-caliber 89. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Stefanski never had a good #3. Minnesota tried for years to find a #3 and were never able to. It’s more about what they had to work with, not necessarily on the personnel he likes. 

If you don’t think Ruggs would have an immediate impact, I don’t know what to tell you. He has game breaking speed and plays like a WR 2x his size. Steve Smith clone. The HOF-caliber 89. 

Well Stef was brought in because of his background in using 12 personnel groupings exceptionally well. Berry just went after the best TE in FA, so the Browns can be better suited for 12 personnel. So it seems like its a philosophy thing, than a matter of what resources he had. When Minny lost Thielen to some injuries, it could have allowed them to at least try other WRs out. Against he stuck to only a Diggs, Thielen, and Johnson last year. Hell last year Minny, drafted a TE in the 2nd rd. Outside of the OL and QB, the only skill player who took more snaps than their #2 TE, who was a rookie, was Rudolph and Diggs. Thielen being hurt played a roll but literally still played a large portion of their snaps. Not like Minny didnt have chances at good WRs. They drafted their #2 TE, Smith, right before AJ Brown. Could have also drafted Parris Campbell or DK Metcalf. They could have drafted Hakeem Butler with their last pick in the 3rd but took a back up RB. If they were truly hurting to find that #3 WR, they they truly needed, they would have drafted a WR before the 7th rd.

3rd WR isnt that important in a Stef offense, unless there is injury. Again if Landry or OBJ get hurt. I would much rather them them running 22 personnel groups with

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Stefanski's offense is about creating a marriage with the pass and run. The more receivers you have on the field, the less convincing you are to a defense that you may run the ball. This is why tight ends are valuable in his offense - they are the perfect marriage between run (blocking) and pass (receiving).

That's why we signed Hooper for 11 million and will utilize him with Njoku. That's why we traded for a very talented FB who grades out extremely well and will get plenty of snaps. This IS the type of offense Stefanski likes running, man. I'm not opposed to looking for a 3rd receiver but it would be mind-boggling if we blew #10 on it. That's just not happening.

• Like 6

#1 in Cap Space:

iOx5P9V.png

-----------------------------

If all it takes is a 3rd or 4th rounder for Anthony Harris or Trent Williams, spend away on a big contract with an out after year 2.

Why not even trade for both. Give up a 3rd and a 4th and a 7th.

Front-load the heck out of both deals.

Assuming the world isn't headed into Apocalyptic pandemic for years to come and there's a football season forthcoming, who cares if we don't have a top 10 cap space allotment for the next 2 years.

The Browns will be fine.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

#1 in Cap Space:

iOx5P9V.png

-----------------------------

If all it takes is a 3rd or 4th rounder for Anthony Harris or Trent Williams, spend away on a big contract with an out after year 2.

Why not even trade for both. Give up a 3rd and a 4th and a 7th.

Front-load the heck out of both deals.

Assuming the world isn't headed into Apocalyptic pandemic for years to come and there's a football season forthcoming, who cares if we don't have a top 10 cap space allotment for the next 2 years.

The Browns will be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, we have a lot of rollover cap space because we carried it over. You don't gain rollover cap space back.

So let's say for example we sign Trent to 20 million for one year and let him walk next year. We will be at 24 million, not back up to 44 million.

This is why it's imperative to use that money on cornerstone pieces that we know will be here for awhile.

9 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

If I'm not mistaken, we have a lot of rollover cap space because we carried it over. You don't gain rollover cap space back.

So let's say for example we sign Trent to 20 million for one year and let him walk next year. We will be at 24 million, not back up to 44 million.

This is why it's imperative to use that money on cornerstone pieces that we know will be here for awhile.

All true but don’t forget the cap will go up a decent amount the next few years because of the new CBA. So deals this offseason Might be considered deals or bargains In two or three years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

All true but don’t forget the cap will go up a decent amount the next few years because of the new CBA. So deals this offseason Might be considered deals or bargains In two or three years

True, but the amount it goes up is still an unknown, right? So I think it's smart to be very cautious. I wouldn't be mad if we spent big money on someone but I can see how the conservative approach is desired as well.

12 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

True, but the amount it goes up is still an unknown, right? So I think it's smart to be very cautious. I wouldn't be mad if we spent big money on someone but I can see how the conservative approach is desired as well.

well the cap is exceeding $200m. The projected '21 to project around $240m. We could see that big of a job because of new TV deals and deals for online and mobile streaming. Even if they are off and it only goes to $225m, thats still an extra $25m for the Browns cap space because of the jump.  

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

well the cap is exceeding $200m. The projected '21 to project around $240m. We could see that big of a job because of new TV deals and deals for online and mobile streaming. Even if they are off and it only goes to $225m, thats still an extra $25m for the Browns cap space because of the jump.  

The coronavirus will likely put a dent in that number, economies are going to grind to a halt.