Marshall Yanda officially retires :(

Ray Reed

If we don't resign Jimmy, McPhee, Levine, or Bynes. The only players from our SB squad left will be the Wolf Pack(Tucker,Koch,Cox). :(.

Honestly, F the coaches for finding a way to screw up what should've been an easy walk to another Super Bowl win and perfect send off for Yanda. 

#YandaTheGoat👑

• Like 1

It's important to note that Marshal Yanda is on the Lewis-Ogden-Reed spectrum and not the one with guys like Ngata & Suggs. He wasn't a Top 15, 10, or even 5 guy at his position. He was a year in year out league topping force that defined his position during his era. For a long time he did it in the shadows too, but the data/statistics and film support his claim to the throne. Just a pure devouring monster. One I'll greatly miss watching play.

Thanks for everything Marshal. The Wins, Championship, Dominance, Thrills, Everything. 

Enjoy a rich & carefree retirement. 

Image result for marshal yanda super bowl

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Danand said:

He deserved to go out like Ray Lewis did. With winning a super bowl, leading an offensive line that helped set new rush records.

Watch the New England game from this year and follow Yanda to see what we will be missing.

I hope I am wrong, but he will be so difficult to replace. One of the Ravens all time greats

1000th like. And I agree it will be a tough task. For my money though I think the more difficult task will he replacing his knowledge to make line calls. Luckily Lamar is older and should star recognizing more things himself and luckily guys like Stanley and Brown have more experience under their belt.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

still calling for EDC  to sign Sherff in FA.

and they'll better not make Yanda wait for his golden jacket in Canton like they do with Faneca and others or i am gonna be mighty pissed.

Agree with this. He would help to throw some makeup on the need so we don’t have to draft for need come draft time and if he’s finally healthy could help to replace some of the cerebral and physical ability Yanda brought up front.

37 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's important to note that Marshal Yanda is on the Lewis-Ogden-Reed spectrum and not the one with guys like Ngata & Suggs. He wasn't a Top 15, 10, or even 5 guy at his position. He was a year in year out league topping force that defined his position during his era. For a long time he did it in the shadows too, but the data/statistics and film support his claim to the throne. Just a pure devouring monster. One I'll greatly miss watching play.

Thanks for everything Marshal. The Wins, Championship, Dominance, Thrills, Everything. 

Enjoy a rich & carefree retirement. 

Image result for marshal yanda super bowl

Agreed. He was clearly better than Suggs. At no point in Suggs career, including his DPOY season did anyone believe he was the best pass rusher in the league. If there was a top IOL or even top OL award, I’m sure Yanda wins it at least a couple times. He’s definitely the 4th best Raven in our history behind only 3 1st Ballot HOFs.

Get the feeling he’ll be ranked as #5 after Lamar finishes up his career. But there’s nothing to be ashamed about with that.

1 hour ago, ravens5520 said:

This is a sad day but we all knew that it would be coming this year or next. I respect and love the fight Yanda always brought every game played. It will be big shoes to fill moving forward. This certainly frees cap up and we will likely need to sign a UFA to replace Yanda. I’m not a big fan of the OG in the NFL draft this year. 

I wouldn't sleep too much on Powers. It appears that his not being active on gamedays was more a result of the team wanting him to focus exclusively on guard (and not be asked to be a swing guy in case of injuries at varying positions) rather than any lack of talent/ability on his part. Looked quite good when he got a chance to play,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I wouldn't sleep too much on Powers. It appears that his not being active on gamedays was more a result of the team wanting him to focus exclusively on guard (and not be asked to be a swing guy in case of injuries at varying positions) rather than any lack of talent/ability on his part. Looked quite good when he got a chance to play,

I think this is the right assessment. Ken McKusick has also pointed towards this several times and noted, that we never heard anything about bad practices from Powers, and that he might have had a minor hand injury. If that is the explanation combined with bringing 6-7th oline on gameday that required less shuffling, we might be in for a nice surprise.

However, that is another "what if", and we have a lot of question marks. Bozeman is good enough, but can he be good/great? Mekari came in and did well, but how high is his upside? Can Skura get healthy enough,

We could be in a worse situation, but I firmly believe that having a great oline compared to a good oline is worth much more than the exciting receiver or runningback. That is why I keep coming back to adding as good a talent as possible in the upcoming draft. Even if Skura gets healthy and Bozeman improves and Powers can start, we need talent with higher upside.

44 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I'd bring in some competition for him for sure. I would even give Keleche a ring and see how his recovery from surgery is going. Maybe a little reunion to patch it up and let drafted players develop. 

• Like 2

I would have loved one more year, but I completely understand and respect his decision. As others have stated, he's easily top 5 as far as the greatest Ravens of all-time. Wish him best of luck in retirement.

As it relates to next season,  what do we imagine the line will look like to start the year?

Stanley-Bozeman-Mekari-Powers-Brown

??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I would have loved one more year, but I completely understand and respect his decision. As others have stated, he's easily top 5 as far as the greatest Ravens of all-time. Wish him best of luck in retirement.

As it relates to next season,  what do we imagine the line will look like to start the year?

Stanley-Bozeman-Mekari-Powers-Brown

??

I'd rather have someone more proven in the middle but I know OL is tough to come by. I wouldn't feel great going into next year with those 3 starting if we're being honest. The last two years our OL has disappointed in the biggest game of the season and we just lost our best one.

Edited by M.10.E