Dolphins release S Reshad Jones

RaidersAreOne

Not totally shocked by this but I thought there was a chance he'd still be on the roster next season with how much cap space we have. The man can definitely still play but he's been at odds with the organization in the past two seasons and has had his fair share of injuries recently. It made sense to move on at this point.

I dont know why they didnt try and keep him its another need to be put on the list of many many holes they already have. I get they want to gut and restart with 14 picks which will likely end up with 10 picks by moving around. Then I assume only 5-6 will be day 1 starters they still have a ton of holes to fill so why dump a player who has nothing but great for this team to clear 5 mil? Yes he is injury plagued the last year maybe 2 but overall he is a leader for that team and a nice veteran voice in the locker room. 

They have money to overpay players but are they really going to have a ton of interest to come in and sign expecting to be contenders right away? To much gutting of a team isnt always a positive. A player like this could have been a lifer but instead they just flat out moved on from him, which is good for him as he could be a great addition as a rotating Safety for some team out there that is expected to be a contender.

35 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Eric Rowe assumed that SS spot, covering the TE, and acquitted himself well. There was really no need for Jones anymore. This regime seems to be good at finding low-budget talent at the DB position.

Well said. The average NFL fan isn't even aware of Jones, and yet he was paid $13M last season. Just not smart financials.