Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The only way he doesn’t see that $45M cap hit is if the Vikings eat $30M+ in dead money at the end of 2020, or they give him another extension. 

My understanding is that they could cut him before the 3rd or 5th day of the 2022 league year and it would be $10M in dead money. It is a small window but it could be done.

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The only way he doesn’t see that $45M cap hit is if the Vikings eat $30M+ in dead money at the end of 2020, or they give him another extension. 

This is what I've been thinking as well.  The contract payout acts virtually as a no trade clause.

25 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

My understanding is that they could cut him before the 3rd or 5th day of the 2022 league year and it would be $10M in dead money. It is a small window but it could be done.

It's the 3rd day of next year.  Even so at that cap number, it'll probably be dwarfed by Mahomes, who will be in the first year of his new deal that year.  Plus, we'll have to see what the cap number is then, it still might only be around 15% of the cap.    

On 3/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, Eric dunn said:

45 million for KIRK COUSINS is absurd regardless of what the market is. Although his cap hit this year & next are not bad. 

Well yeah, thats how a backloaded contract works. 

$45m is scary but the average per year is fair market. He probably could have got $40m/year next offseason if we didn’t extend him now. Smart move by the vikings. 

Having stability at QB for once is really nice, I could get used to this as a fan. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, Duff Man said:

Well yeah, thats how a backloaded contract works. 

$45m is scary but the average per year is fair market. He probably could have got $40m/year next offseason if we didn’t extend him now. Smart move by the vikings. 

Having stability at QB for once is really nice, I could get used to this as a fan. 

Yeah he needs to play better in certain situations but I'm not going to complain too much about a guy that's 3rd in td passes since 2017. We know he's not a Russel Wilson or Pat Mahomes so he does need a little help. The guys around him like Cook and Theilen need to stay healthy

• Like 2

I have a question.

Could anybody List a few quarterbacks the Viking could realistically get that would be an upgrade from cousins next year?

I've been thinking about it and there's not a ton of guys I feel confident with. Somebody like Teddy would have been interesting but money aside who are a couple of guys you would rather see that would be realistically available.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, TENINCH said:

so he does need a little help.

But that’s the biggest problem. Cousins doesn’t need “a little help“, he needs “a lot of help”. A top 5 scoring defense, the 6th ranked rushing offense, and receiving weapons in Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, and Kyle Rudolph. How much more help does he need? When does the responsibility of performing actually fall on Cousins? 

Cousins was supposed to be the guy that pushed this team over the hump. We have yet to accomplish with Cousins what we did with both Bridgewater and Keenum. 

But, at least the fantasy football owners are happy. 

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But that’s the biggest problem. Cousins doesn’t need “a little help“, he needs “a lot of help”. A top 5 scoring defense, the 6th ranked rushing offense, and receiving weapons in Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, and Kyle Rudolph. How much more help does he need? When does the responsibility of performing actually fall on Cousins? 

Cousins was supposed to be the guy that pushed this team over the hump. We have yet to accomplish with Cousins what we did with both Bridgewater and Keenum. 

What did we accomplish with Teddy and Keenum? Teddy never won a playoff game, both Keenum and Kirk did. 

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Teddy never won a playoff game...

to be fair to the Teddster, he certainly put us in position to win the Seattle playoff game, the one in the cold temps. can't blame him for the missed kick.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HeydudemanG said:

I have a question.

Could anybody List a few quarterbacks the Viking could realistically get that would be an upgrade from cousins next year?

I've been thinking about it and there's not a ton of guys I feel confident with. Somebody like Teddy would have been interesting but money aside who are a couple of guys you would rather see that would be realistically available.

That's an easy answer...there isn't one and there likely won't be one in 2021 either, as the only free agents will be Andy Dalton, Phillip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett (I can pretty much guarantee that Dak Prescott will not be available).  Plus, the '21 draft class, as of now, is not as deep as it is this year, with really only Lawrence and Fields at the top, and unless the wheels just completely fall off, the Vikings won't have access to either of them without trading up.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

-The vikings were 6th in ppg on defense

-Thielen was hurt most of the season 

-Dalvin Cook didn’t do much after October

-Kyle Rudoloph is 30 years old and runs a flat-5 40. Good blocker and RZ target, but nobody that I would use in an argument against Cousins.

-Is 26 TDs & 6 INTs not “performing” well enough for you?  Thats the best season a QB has had in MIN in a decade.  Lets not get greedy here.

-I’m really sick of the idea that Cousins was “supposed to get us over the hump” — its a team game.  He won just as many playoff games as Case, more than Teddy, and put up better #’s while doing so.  This team needs help on OL/DL before we can reasonably expect to win a SB. 

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 3