Jahns: Gentry released, DHC Promoted, DT Purcell signed to PR

WindyCity

Gentry will be brought back to the PS, I can't imagine any other team signing him at this point in time.

Why Josh Bellamy still has a job here is beyond me. I don't give two craps about special teams anymore, not when it means this joke is a starting WR for us.

I understand it, because Demps is probably gone faster than Fox next year, so having DHC as a backup S can be a stopgap solution if we are unable to get good draft value.

That being said, Gentry has still shown more as prospect we have a critical need at, in both camp and even this last game, than DHC has shown in his entire career thus far.

I'm also of the opinion that this season would be significantly better spent trying to develop young talent with potential like Gentry-WR, Irving-OLB, and the obvious Trubisky-QB than it currently is rostering a fullback,  both of a Mike Glennon/Mark Sanchez (and at this point, I'd actually keep Sanchez of the two), and trotting out "starting" WRs like Bellamy and Thompson.

I don't expect us to be a good team this season either way, but we're hamstringing our potential future by continuing to cater to Fox's desire to salvage what's left of his career.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Gentry will be brought back to the PS, I can't imagine any other team signing him at this point in time.

Why Josh Bellamy still has a job here is beyond me. I don't give two craps about special teams anymore, not when it means this joke is a starting WR for us.

Well they already filled the roster spot with a DT, so another move is going to have to be made if they want him on the PS. 

I do find it weird.

We need WR help, he makes 2 catches on less than 10 snaps, one with Grimes in coverage (so against a hell of a player).

That isn't incredible by any means, but did we get that same production out of White? No.

We need threats who can catch, but we have 4 TEs, - Miller is doing well (10 rec on 15 targets).  Sims has only 4 targets over 2 games as a primary TE, Shaheen and Brown have zero targets.

G08 is right, Bellamy is garbage, and you can't have him as a primary WR.

Best scenario to me. Cut Bellamy, move Gentry to a reserve role, move Miller to a big slot role (a la Marshall) or as the full time outside WR with Wright in the slot, Wheaton helps on the outside when he is back and let the 2 TE sets consist of Sims/Shaheen. Shaheen needs to get reps, he doesn't need to have 10 targets  a game, but 1 play every 3-4 downs at least starts getting him accustomed to the speed of real games. Brown spells them as needed. Gave Howard the damn ball, and use Cohen as a utility knife player who is also the number 2 RB.

We don't have enough talent to force players to sit out while they develop or to mask the inept play of Bellamy as a primary WR. Get the most talented players on the field that you can, then try to find mismatches.

Yep count me in the "I don't get this move" camp on this one too. Houston-Carson plays a prominent role on special teams anyway, and Bellamy played 59 offensive snaps on Sunday - the highest of all the WRs - so his special teams role is only going to decrease, we've brought up another special teamer with DHC to fill that void so cutting Bellamy is hardly even going to change anything, just getting rid of a poor receiver.

Hopefully Gentry's re-signed to the PS and we see him at some other point down the line this season.

13 hours ago, Tyty said:

Ugh he was a perennial all pro hall of famer and a wr 

Nope

But he was a better WR option than Josh Bellamy who has consistently failed over the course of 2 years.

This team needs to pick a lane.

They tell us that everything is about Mitch's development, to the point that you are going to flush games with Glennon, then do not cut a WR that he has a connection with in a WR core that is super thin.

If it is about winning games then by all means keep Bellamy, who provides impact on special teams every week, but also bench Glennon and start Trubisky.

Something interesting I just found out:

We have 2 WRs under contract for 2018! Kevin White and Markus Wheaton.

Maybe Meredith comes back? Or... maybe Pace is waiting for his new offensive-minded head coach/coordinator to be hired and they can decide what type of WR they want to attack in FA and the draft. *crosses fingers*

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Something interesting I just found out:

We have 2 WRs under contract for 2018! Kevin White and Markus Wheaton.

Maybe Meredith comes back? Or... maybe Pace is waiting for his new offensive-minded head coach/coordinator to be hired and they can decide what type of WR they want to attack in FA and the draft. *crosses fingers*

It's also one of the hardest positions to draft as well. This has turned into our number 1 need in the off-season.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

It's also one of the hardest positions to draft as well. This has turned into our number 1 need in the off-season.

That will happen when you (arrogantly, IMO) jettison two Pro Bowl WRs are replace them with literal garbage.

Archived