Broncos sign OL Graham Glasgow (4 year, $44M deal, $25M gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

Saw this, thought it was interesting:

"Broncos offered McGovern before signing Glasgow
March 16 | Mike Klis reports the Denver Broncos originally offered center Connor McGovern but pulled after signing Graham Glasgow to a 4-year, $40 million dollar deal. Teams have good interest in McGovern."

38 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Saw this, thought it was interesting:

"Broncos offered McGovern before signing Glasgow
March 16 | Mike Klis reports the Denver Broncos originally offered center Connor McGovern but pulled after signing Graham Glasgow to a 4-year, $40 million dollar deal. Teams have good interest in McGovern."

So our comp pick may be high

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So our comp pick may be high

It's more than likely that Glasgow's acquisition negates McGovern's departure.   

And keep in mind Glasgow's 10M AAV isn't likely top 20 in this market, let alone top 10 - that's's already in a 6-way tie for 7th-12th in the present signees at 10M, with Brees/Brady/Winston still left at QB, Robbie Anderson at WR, and the ILB/DB's & Reader.     Even if it's only 100K less than 10M AAV, that's automatically into 5th round comp pick territory on its own, but then also negated by Glasgow's signing.

Realistically, the only FA departure we can hope nets a big pick is CHJ....and we can't get a top 10 FA signing, either.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Or pick Ruiz in the second, solidify that line up.

Just my opinion but I think our first OL selection will be a 2nd tier OT, one that has the ability to play either side but just needs coaching, NFL weightroom for a year or so.

I think we're done on the IOL. Morris or Schlottman will start at center, the other will be the best IOL reserve we've had for a decade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Anybody see any film on this kid?

Search Brandon Thorn on twitter. He's the best account on the whole of twitter to follow for OL.

Thorn is a big fan of Glasgow which is a massive tick for me. As others have eluded to, he's dependable and everyone who has listened to Elway/Fangio speak since last season knows how the hierarchy feel about that.

"The best ability is availability", as Bill Parcells once said.

• Like 3

I'm good with the signing, even if the money is slightly steep. He's dependable and versatile, and a lot of people who know a lot about OL speak pretty highly of him, so that counts for quite a bit in my mind. Also gives us some flexibility going into the draft which is excellent. 

Fully expecting we make a huge push for either DJ Reader or Michael Pierce now. Need to get that part of the DL firmed up.

Edited by broncos67
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just my opinion but I think our first OL selection will be a 2nd tier OT, one that has the ability to play either side but just needs coaching, NFL weightroom for a year or so.

I think we're done on the IOL. Morris or Schlottman will start at center, the other will be the best IOL reserve we've had for a decade.

I like both an OT and Ruiz.  I think Lock needs a long-term solution at center.  It only makes sense when you plan on spending your career touching another man's nuts, you might want some familiarity there, from both perspectives really. 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I like both an OT and Ruiz.  I think Lock needs a long-term solution at center.  It only makes sense when you plan on spending your career touching another man's nuts, you might want some familiarity there, from both perspectives really. 

I think to @AKRNA’s point, the broncos see Morris as the future. Kid was strong and athletic but undersized at TCU (45.5” vert, 37 reps) munch fought to get him to Pitt and then fought for us to claim him on waivers when they tried to stash him in th PS last year. 2 weeks later he played 37 snaps for Risner when he had the flu. I went back and watched those snaps. Started shaky but he held his own on short notice and out of position (really is a true pivot). Now my love of Biadasz is well known but it would not shock me to see the broncos not draft a pure OC in the draft (probably a swing guy later. Shane lemieux and Kieth Ishmail come to mind)

• Like 1

Bill Barnwell:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871296/2020-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-bill-barnwell-tracks-every-big-signing-move

Graham Glasgow, G, Denver Broncos

The deal: Four years, $44 million
Grade: C

I didn't see this sort of deal coming for Glasgow, who never made a huge impression on me up front for Detroit. It looks better on closer review, however. Stats LLC credited Glasgow with zero sacks allowed in 2019, and ESPN's pass block win rate metric assigned him just two sacks. Glasgow was 24th among guards in PBWR, and he missed only two games in four seasons in Detroit. The Lions were never a good run-blocking team with Glasgow in the lineup, as they ranked 20th twice and both 31st and 32nd in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Line Yards metrics, but we can't entirely pin that on Glasgow.

Broncos offensive line coach Mike Munchak is one of the best in the business, and given how much difficulty Denver has had fixing its offensive line in years past, Glasgow could be a solid regular for the team. One of the reasons you hire Munchak, though, is the hope that he'll help you develop competent guys out of draft picks at a fraction of this cost. Glasgow has the eighth-largest average annual salary of any guard in the league on a multiyear contract, suggesting that he needs to be a Pro Bowler or something close to it to justify this deal. The Broncos probably could have used this money more to help on the defensive side of the ball.

11 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Barnwell is a —— joke. He flat out says he doesn’t understand OL play and still downplays it. Dude graded the Brady signing as an A. 

like I said it’s a B signing. B+ player making A- money.

Who Brady? Brady is 43 we're in uncharted waters

3 reasons I don’t like the Brady signing:

1) he showed decline last year

2) prior to this year the most he has ever counter against the cap was $15M. Now he’ll count $30M. There’s a reason he is the only QB (other than manning who took a pay cut to $15M that year and Brees who was on a “prove it” contract after being cast aside by the chargers and coming off of a torn labrum) to win a SB not on his rookie contract in the last 20 years. 
3) Bruce Arians likes long developing plays, going deep often, and play action. Brady plays quick release, underneath, let your sure handed skill players make plays.

If you thought Kubiak and Manning were a poor match, hold on to your seats. 

• Like 2