Raiders sign QB Marcus Mariota (2 years, $17.6 M)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Ship Carr out during the draft to Miami for #39 & #70. Then draft Jalen Hurts with one of our third round picks. 

I see where you are going but I can't get behind this. 

The Raiders have a chance to make the playoffs with Carr. The roster (barring injury) will be much improved. The only way Carr loses the job is if he starts playing badly enough to lose a few games in a row. MM would have to be put in to, hopefully, keep us in playoff contention. 

And you all know how I feel about Hurts. 5th round and lower please. 

So pff has a really detailed QB breakdown QB breakdown for ‘19 Season that includes Carr and a ‘18 breakdown that Includes Carr and Mariota.

the thing is so detailed I feel like you could use it to argue points or and again each player for years lol

so if you guys want me to share the file lmk or Pm me.  I just spent a few mins looking at it and im highly impressed.  I can also share the off draft guide.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think MM gets the escalator if he doesn't win the starting job for 2021. His cap hit would be just $10M. A little pricey for a backup, but other teams have done worse. 

it appears.... it’s a 1 year contract and then if he wins the starting job by the end of the season we can exercise the escalator clause and bring him back for year 2 as a starter at starter money. 

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

it appears.... it’s a 1 year contract and then if he wins the starting job by the end of the season we can exercise the escalator clause and bring him back for year 2 as a starter at starter money. 

Ugh.... I like my thoughts better.... 

So basically, it's "Win the job or you are out!". 

3 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Ugh.... I like my thoughts better.... 

So basically, it's "Win the job or you are out!". 

It’s the same though.  I agree with you.

Edited by jimkelly02
Yes Mariota absolutely is not staying past year 1 If he doesn’t win the starting job

Thanks for spelling it out jim. I completely agree with your assessment. This contract covers all angles and really protects MM if he were to take over. It also helps us next year if that were to happen.

I really don't read anything more into it than that. Come in and compete. Whatever happens, happens and all sides are covered in case MM wins the job. No matter how he wins it, outplaying Carr, Carr losing it, or Carr getting hurt.

Smart play by our GM/contracts team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

There are more incentives in this one than any other. Incentives meaning Mariota could start and the contract was negotiated with that possibility on the table. First impression is it leaves the door wide open for Carr to be moved and Mariota acting as a bridge for a rookie.

Thats what I see it as.. ability to move on from #4 and draft a QB this year or the next.. OR if MM works out have him be the QB.. it will be fun to see how this unfurls

29 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Mariota has a lot of incentive to win the job in TC. Carr is finally gonna have to earn his spot. 

This is a great thing.  He’s never had anyone driving him and that’s led to some real conservative play.  Hopefully it pushes him to no longer be content.  
it goes the same way for Mariota.... he’s gonna be hungry and will have chance to make big money and resurrect his career.

hopefully one way or another end up with some great QB play.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Maybe I read it wrong but I don’t think it’s 10m year 2 cuz there’s a 12m escalator clause.... so it’s be 22m year 2.

in an ideal word he pushes Carr and we trade him at deadline to a Qb (due to injury) needy team

12M escalator in year 2 seems to be linked to some incentives in year 1 being reached.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ship Carr out during the draft to Miami for #39 & #70. Then draft Jalen Hurts with one of our third round picks. 

I think Mia is content with fitz 

honestly I don’t see carr being moved unless it’s to the pats or sd but I can’t see us trading with those teams

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

No, it's 37.5 max and most of it comes from the 12M escalator for 2021. It's not clear how the escalator is triggered.

I know you’re a numbers guy. Curious Is that what kind of contract you’d think it would take to get mm or are you surprised by the contract?

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

I know you’re a numbers guy. Curious Is that what kind of contract you’d think it would take to get mm or are you surprised by the contract?

I had it at 1Y/5M in my mock. The base value on the 1st year is 7.5M so it's not too far off but all the incentives added to it are meaningful when it comes to the level of confidence they have in Carr. They sold Mariota on the idea he might start sooner or later. I think it's a fair contract for both sides because Mariota gets paid if he has to start but still good for the Raiders because he isn't getting as much as most of the starting QBs in the league (at least in year 1).

• Like 1