Raiders sign QB Marcus Mariota (2 years, $17.6 M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NJ Raider said:

If they go wr at 12, which it seems they will, and Carr doesn't get us to the playoffs, I think he's gone and he should be.

I can already hear the "Well his WR core was super young and inexperienced. Give DC and his young WRs 1-2 more years to grow together!" excuses.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

"This is Derek's team and I am hear to support him." 

Sounds like words of a guy who is not going to compete for the job. 

You know competing for the job will give him a much larger payday on his contract if he plays well.

What he said in the interview was just classic media talk to not stir anything up

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

You know competing for the job will give him a much larger payday on his contract if he plays well.

What he said in the interview was just classic media talk to not stir anything up

I disagree. Media talk if he was trying to win the job would had been " I'm just here to support the team anyway I can. " if that means starting or supporting Carr, whatever I can do". 

This is Derek team doesnt sound like somebody who about to try to win the job. 

3 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

I disagree. Media talk if he was trying to win the job would had been " I'm just here to support the team anyway I can. " if that means starting or supporting Carr, whatever I can do". 

This is Derek team doesnt sound like somebody who about to try to win the job. 

I disagree with this. Not that I have faith in Mariota in any way, but I would say the same thing, as would many people.

Also Kirk Cousins on two separate occasions (RGIII was benched for bad play like three times in total for Kirk) said exactly: "This is RGIII's team".

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I disagree with this. Not that I have faith in Mariota in any way, but I would say the same thing, as would many people.

Also Kirk Cousins on two separate occasions (RGIII was benched for bad play like three times in total for Kirk) said exactly: "This is RGIII's team".

Yeah he's going in to do his best and do whatever he's asked to do, including start if DC is benched.

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cause kirk wasn't in a competition. You kinda making my point for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

just watched the 8 min highlight of the OAK HOU game.

outside of the 3rd and 7 throw to Waller that should have been a pick 6... I dont see how Carr would have been pulled.

also the back shoulder throw to Williams on 3rd and 16 was a pretty phenomenal toss. Wouldve been a great catch, and a lot of PI imo, but dang it was a nice throw  

7 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

i watched the 8 min clip on nfl clip of the raider hou game. I really dont know how that is a game Carr would be pulled, we were leading until the 4th pretty much

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

He learned from the best mr steal your team tanny 

• Like 1

For the first time in probably Mariotas football career, he was told he wasn't good enough. He was kicked to the side and had to watch another guy take his spot and had that watch that guy have success. How he responds and performs is something that I am really looking forward to. Much like Carr had that injury and just hasn't looked the same. Let's see how he takes this opportunity. Odds are against him, but he should know more than anyone on what he needs to be done and Mariota is a nice guy from all accounts, but just cause he said this is Derek's team don't take that as he ain't going for his job. 

• Like 1

of course he is trying to start / do everything he can to start.
I think he realizes though (as he just watched happened to him), his best chance of making that happen, is to do everything right now to support Carr.

Learn this playbook inside and out, get comfortable throwing to our WRs.
He will get an opportunity to play at some point this season, either through injury or us way up / down in a game, carr regressing. 
Just let the opportunity present itself. 
It could be his last real chance, so he has to stack the odds in his favor, starting say week 1 while not comfortable with the playbook and is WR could cause him way more harm than being patient IMO