2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Wow, that just goes to show us that the NFL, is a offensive driven league

Yet 7 of the top 10 running teams made the playoffs and only 3 of the top 10 passing teams did (w 3 probable H0F QBs in Brady, Brees and Mahomes)

2 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

Yet 7 of the top 10 running teams made the playoffs and only 3 of the top 10 passing teams did (w 3 probable H0F QBs in Brady, Brees and Mahomes)

What were the numbers for defense?

Jets have a solid defense we just need to be more disciplined and develop Sam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

This is where stats can get skewed. A good rushing team makes the defense better bc they're not on the field as much. We had the 7th defense last year with the 2nd worst offense in the NFL. We could be a top 5 defense (maybe) if we just keep our defense off the field more.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

This is where stats can get skewed. A good rushing team makes the defense better bc they're not on the field as much. We had the 7th defense last year with the 2nd worst offense in the NFL. We could be a top 5 defense (maybe) if we just keep our defense off the field more.

And we did this without Mosley and Williamson.

Credit Williams but also credit Hewitt and the guys who filled in.  I think Hewitt and Cashman can play.

If our next two drafts go well, plus we keep Adams then we can be dangerous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What were the numbers for defense?

Jets have a solid defense we just need to be more disciplined and develop Sam.

5 of top 10 defenses including 1 top ten passing offense and 3 top ten rushing offense.  The two passing offenses that didn’t have a top 10 defense had possible the greatest QB of all time in Mahomes and one of the all time greats in Brees.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot of our poor defensive play was because of the big plays Johnson and Roberts gave up. IMO we got better when they were out. What I’m really alluding to is that by making our OL solid, Bell and a 4th or 5th round RB could lead us to the playoffs without a Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs. Let’s face it Bell underperformed last season because he was looking for holes our OL couldn’t make. Improve the OL and Bell could be a star again. I’d love draft of Thomas/Wirfs/Willis In th1St and  one of Ruiz/Hennessy/Cushenberry/Mut in the 2nd, and two of  T.Johnson, G. Davis, Gandy--Golden, C. Johnson or whoever else falls in 3rd will greatly help our offense.

50 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

A strong passing game sure helps the running game, the rule changes have given the offensive a major advantage that is the main difference from years ago. When they did away with the bump & run, it made it much easer for the receiver to get open. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm lazy....someone pull up how many 3 and outs we had.  And our 3rd down conversion.

Lamb/Jeudy will do more for this offense IMO.

Again, OL is a unit, not a player. And our unit will be improved compared to last season.

65/212 31% but that’s is probably because it was always 3rd and long.

27 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

A lot of our poor defensive play was because of the big plays Johnson and Roberts gave up. IMO we got better when they were out. What I’m really alluding to is that by making our OL solid, Bell and a 4th or 5th round RB could lead us to the playoffs without a Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs. Let’s face it Bell underperformed last season because he was looking for holes our OL couldn’t make. Improve the OL and Bell could be a star again. I’d love draft of Thomas/Wirfs/Willis In th1St and  one of Ruiz/Hennessy/Cushenberry/Mut in the 2nd, and two of  T.Johnson, G. Davis, Gandy--Golden, C. Johnson or whoever else falls in 3rd will greatly help our offense.

100% good OL play will help the rushing game and allow for a better passing game. But look at the top rushing teams. They had more talent than us at WR too. I don't like to factor in rushing QBs in this. I mean Baltimore was the top ranked rushing team last year but Jackson was 1,200yds of that. That being said they still had 2 good RBs in Ingram and Edwards both getting 1,730yds total. They are one of the few exceptions to what you're pointing out. But last I checked Darnold is not even in the same area code of a skill set of Lamar (and that's not a knock on Darnold) it's just that he will never rush for 1/3 of that as a QB in a season.

So whos after them...

SF: Kittle, Sanders and Samuel

Ten: AJ Brown who looks like he can be a star (had no business slipping that far in the draft) Davis (who has underperformed, but is still young)

SEA: DK (who looks like a star and had no business slipping in the draft) and Lockett

DAL: Cooper, Cobb and Gallup

MIN: Diggs and Thielen

For me Perriman and Crowder are quite a bit less talented than any of those combos. You can't only do 1 part of the game on offense. Teams can stop any 1 part of a game (generally speaking). There has to be some balance. Does Herndon have potential? Sure. But its such a small sample size and coming off missing a season, I for one am not anointing him to a great weapon for us. 

Now I know what some will say and say how many of those guys named were 1st rounders. And while that's true. That doesn't mean we will draft a great weapon like these teams have in the mid rounds. Have we since Cotchery? No. So my point is valid too. We've drafted WR in these spots before and didnt get these guys Stewart, Hansen, Smith, Evans, Amaro, Saunders to name a few over the last several years. All fails. So the likelihood of getting a great weapon in those rounds isnt very high.

By all means build the OL. But what good is giving Darnold all day to throw to average talent? And teams will stop our run if they don't fear our passing game even a bit.

50 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

This is why I don’t mind spending our first two picks on OL. Fixing the OL helps Darnold and Bell. And by helping Bell’s running production, it indirectly helps Darnold also since we will have a balanced offense. It’s also the safer route since OL have a lower bust rate. 

I’ll be excited either way and don’t really have a preference. I’d personally draft Lamb but I have no issues if we go Becton and then grab an iOL with our early 3rd or second.