2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Same, I'm okay with any of the 7 we've argued over.

I'm least comfortable with Becton of the big 7.

I see the monster upside but I get worried from the reports of his commitment to football, his size during a time of shelter in place could explode (how long will it take this Oline to jell if/when the pads come on), and just the boneheaded move of a diluted drug test. JD was looking for mistake free OL in free agency and these are red flags. 

With that, if he is drafted by the Jets i'll be ecstatic to have that sort of potential on the O-line.

Lamb/Ruggs and trade up for a Jones/Jackson is my ideal if left with the choice of Becton and the WRs.  

53 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Bobby got his guns out blazing. I wanna see us pick Becton just for his meltdown lol

I wont have a meltdown. I want an WR or an OT. He's one of them so you wont see me pissed. Will I think we should've chose someone else? Probably. Depends on the board. Ideally for me he’s gone. So we are guaranteed one if the 3 other OLineman that is be happy with or a WR that I’d be very happy with.

Worked out this way for me when I hated Mayfield and was scared we’d draft him. Luckily CLE took him where I didn’t have to worry about it once the draft started.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes I see them as similar. Just as I see a guy like Shenault similar to that of Lamb. One is clearly better though at both positions. But that doesn't mean that the other isn't good still. You used the word elite. Elite to me means one of the greatest at their position even in the NFL. So ya I see only 4 potential elite WRs in this class.

Elite talents.  All those WRs are elite talents.  Doesn't mean they are elite players.  Maybe elite is a bit strong but round 1 talents are all pretty elite in their own right.

Wilson is not an elite talent.  Becton is.

Yes I'd be very happy with Becton and Shenault assuming he stays healthy.  That would be a great start to the draft.

No you were clear about Wilson and Becton you view them as similar prospect which is concerning to me.

Edited by Rockice_8

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Elite talents.  All those WRs are elite talents.  Doesn't mean they are elite players.  Maybe elite is a bit strong but round 1 talents are all pretty elite in their own right.

Wilson is not an elite talent.  Becton is.

Yes I'd be very happy with Becton and Shenault assuming he stays healthy.  That would be a great start to the draft.

No you were clear about Wilson and Becton you view them as similar prospect which is concerning to me.

Similar doesn’t mean equal.

Id assume the same way you maybe view Lamb and Shenault as similar but not equal.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Looks like Miami and the Lions are swapping picks. I'm not buying 4 OT in the first 10 picks at all. I think 2 will be gone and I really really hope we don't go Becton.I hope he is picked in the top 10. If 3 QB and 2 DT are picked in the top 10 plus 1 CB 1LB 1Edge that means 2 of the 4 OT will be there. I just feel that the first 4 picks will be QB and Young, My surprise pick is Tua to Washington. The new coach wants a QB and Haskins is not that good. My surprise 1st round pick Pittman Jr getting picked by the eagles. 

There's not really a consensus on the order of the top 4. 

I've seen some have Becton as #2 and Wirfs as #4. I've seen andrew Thomas as #4. 

Every "expert" seems to have them in a different order... so who knows. Becton is supposed to have the highest ceiling and lowest floor of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I do have to ask a question to the Becton lovers on here...

What has you ranking him so far ahead of a similar player like Isaiah Wilson

Let's look at their measurables for starters...

Wilson: 6'6" 350lbs 35.5" arms

Becton: 6'7" 360lbs 35.5" arms

Wilson did do all the combine drills and has this... 5.23 40 (I can careless about a 40 for an OT), 26 bench reps, 29" vertical, 110" broad jump, 8.26 3 cone drill, 5.07 20yd shuffle.

Becton only ran the 40 and did bench at the combine... 5.1 40 and 23 bench reps.

Wilson started for 2 years for a top SEC team in Georgia that runs a system that transfers over well to the NFL with a good mix of run and pass. Was a highly ranked recruit (he's also from Brooklyn) and was an all american both years he started for Georgia. His knocks against him are very similar to that of Becton. Just Becton's "tape" looks better (for me there's a big difference from SEC defenses and ACC defenses though). But Wilson is the more NFL ready OT if you ask me with similar skills. Not nearly the risk IMO of that of Becton.

Oh and Wilson didn't fail a combine drug test

Other than both being large humans I don't see them as being all that similar.   

Wilson is a large string guy,  which is nice but not rare. 

Becton is a large string guy with amazing feet for his size,  and that is rare.   

Wilson can be a decent RT in a power scheme.   Becton can play RT or LT in any scheme.   Doesn't mean he's a finished product at all. But he can do it. 

Just now, rampantjet said:

Other than both being large humans I don't see them as being all that similar.   

Wilson is a large string guy,  which is nice but not rare. 

Becton is a large string guy with amazing feet for his size,  and that is rare.   

Wilson can be a decent RT in a power scheme.   Becton can play RT or LT in any scheme.   Doesn't mean he's a finished product at all. But he can do it. 

Wilson doesn't have slow feet though. As quick as Becton's? No. But it's not like he's some big guy who just plays on his heels and wins generally. He has technique, experience, size and skill. I fully recognize he's not the prospect as the other 4 OTs. My statement is rather, why is he not a good 2nd round pick the way Shenault some view as a good 2nd round pick? In the reverse of the OT/WR debate to the WR/OT debate.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do have to ask a question to the Becton lovers on here...

What has you ranking him so far ahead of a similar player like Isaiah Wilson

Let's look at their measurables for starters...

Wilson: 6'6" 350lbs 35.5" arms

Becton: 6'7" 360lbs 35.5" arms

Wilson did do all the combine drills and has this... 5.23 40 (I can careless about a 40 for an OT), 26 bench reps, 29" vertical, 110" broad jump, 8.26 3 cone drill, 5.07 20yd shuffle.

Becton only ran the 40 and did bench at the combine... 5.1 40 and 23 bench reps.

Wilson started for 2 years for a top SEC team in Georgia that runs a system that transfers over well to the NFL with a good mix of run and pass. Was a highly ranked recruit (he's also from Brooklyn) and was an all american both years he started for Georgia. His knocks against him are very similar to that of Becton. Just Becton's "tape" looks better (for me there's a big difference from SEC defenses and ACC defenses though). But Wilson is the more NFL ready OT if you ask me with similar skills. Not nearly the risk IMO of that of Becton.

Oh and Wilson didn't fail a combine drug test

And he’s a hometown kid. Brooklyn I think. 

Edit: And if I read your post closely I would have seen you already mentioned that. I’m burned out. Tonight can’t come soon enough. 

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Wilson doesn't have slow feet though. As quick as Becton's? No. But it's not like he's some big guy who just plays on his heels and wins generally. He has technique, experience, size and skill. I fully recognize he's not the prospect as the other 4 OTs. My statement is rather, why is he not a good 2nd round pick the way Shenault some view as a good 2nd round pick? In the reverse of the OT/WR debate to the WR/OT debate.

I think he'll be a fine 2nd rounder but only in certain schemes.  I do think his feet are pretty slow.   

Another thing I've seen a lot of draftnicks complain about is that his upper body strength is out of this world, but his power body is average and he does get pushed back by bigger guys.   Most of his big blocks are against like 235lb college rushers. 

Can't shake this feeling in my gut that our first rounder is someone we don't expect - Henderson and Chaisson come to mind.  A deep WR draft could make JD feel as though he can wait on WR, and if the top 4 OTs go ahead of us, or even if 2-3 go before us and we don't like the ones left, I can see JD being confident he can snag OL later, and grab a top tier prospect at a position that isn't as deep as WR or OL in this draft - CB or EDGE.  I would not like it at all, but what if we went CB, OL, WR, WR?

Obviously I HOPE this doesn't happen.  But I just can't shake this feeling in my gut we're looking at a CB or EDGE in round 1 because of the deepness of OT and WR.  

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I think he'll be a fine 2nd rounder but only in certain schemes.  I do think his feet are pretty slow.   

Another thing I've seen a lot of draftnicks complain about is that his upper body strength is out of this world, but his power body is average and he does get pushed back by bigger guys.   Most of his big blocks are against like 235lb college rushers. 

Which very well can be true. But as I stated there's a talent gap between the SEC and ACC. So the tape isn't exactly apples to apples. As well as Georgia running a more pro ready offense. So an issue with Wilson is that he struggles sometimes against a power rusher?... how is that more of an issue than Becton struggling against edge rushers with great bend, bc he doesnt bend with his knees really at all? He's not a perfect prospect like others. He's a 2nd round prospect for a reason. But like I originally asked. Why is he not looked at as a good prospect for us as all those say the WRs are at 48 when he in fact is a good prospect. I also really like Peart for what that's worth.

I just think Becton is a risky prospect. He could be the best of the whole draft. But he also could be a bust. Where as I view others with a higher floor than that. I dont think we're a team that can afford a boom or bust player in the top 11 of the draft.

1a. Willis

1b. Wirfs

3. Lamb

4. Thomas

5. Jeudy

6. Ruggs

7. Becton

anything else just shoot me.  I will like Becton and I fully expect him to be the pick but if Lamb and Jeudy are there I'll be very upset.  Becton over Ruggs I wouldn't care, but I think Lamb and JJ are automatic stars.  Too much of a gamble on Becton and we can't afford to blow drafts anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Can't shake this feeling in my gut that our first rounder is someone we don't expect - Henderson and Chaisson come to mind.  A deep WR draft could make JD feel as though he can wait on WR, and if the top 4 OTs go ahead of us, or even if 2-3 go before us and we don't like the ones left, I can see JD being confident he can snag OL later, and grab a top tier prospect at a position that isn't as deep as WR or OL in this draft - CB or EDGE.  I would not like it at all, but what if we went CB, OL, WR, WR?

Obviously I HOPE this doesn't happen.  But I just can't shake this feeling in my gut we're looking at a CB or EDGE in round 1 because of the deepness of OT and WR.  

I really, really, really hope JD is better than this! But I'm nervous.