2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I didn't say that Fant is going to be a better player because they gave him that, I said that they see him as a starter and if you don't believe that you are delusional. They are not drafting a guy to start at LT at pick #11. If they take a OT he will be starting at RT over Edoga and that is the presumption that they feel that Edoga is not a starting caliber player. 

The Jets may feel that Edoga will get better. JEts fans hated BRick when he was a rookie, called him a bust. But I do know our WRs are terrible and we have no one to make defenses fear. If we added a potential #1 WR we could be heading towards Darnold taking a step further.  Without a threat at WR teams are just gonna stack the box and blitz like crazy like last year. 

Or maybe they view Edoga as an extremely raw OT that needs more time to get bigger and get better from a technical stand point. We signed Fant to compete for the LT spot but with his deal he’s easily cuttable after this year, you draft the best OT available, start him at RT this year and move him to LT the following year and start Edoga at RT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

I think DPJ is a guy Gase is gonna covet. He’s the guy I think could have a much much better Pro career than college career.

Yup. I’m surprised he’s being mocked late in the 3rd.

What about his game do you think Gase likes?

He seems like a guy that can be moved around. His combine stats are crazy. And he has mittens as hands which is always a good thing.

15 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I didn't say that Fant is going to be a better player because they gave him that, I said that they see him as a starter and if you don't believe that you are delusional. They are not drafting a guy to start at LT at pick #11. If they take a OT he will be starting at RT over Edoga and that is the presumption that they feel that Edoga is not a starting caliber player. 

The Jets may feel that Edoga will get better. JEts fans hated BRick when he was a rookie, called him a bust. But I do know our WRs are terrible and we have no one to make defenses fear. If we added a potential #1 WR we could be heading towards Darnold taking a step further.  Without a threat at WR teams are just gonna stack the box and blitz like crazy like last year. 

Just because they envision Fant being a starter (Presumably at LT) doesn't mean he's automatically going to start.. it's far from a delusional thought. Both Gase and Douglas strike me as guys who believe in competition, so what if a rookie + Edoga clearly win the job? We're going to roll with Fant because we gave him $9mm? Your logic is twisted yet I'm the delusional one. Again, I expect Fant to start but he doesn't have the pedigree or contract to assume his spot is untouchable. 

11 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yup. I’m surprised he’s being mocked late in the 3rd.

What about his game do you think Gase likes?

He seems like a guy that can be moved around. His combine stats are crazy. And he has mittens as hands which is always a good thing.

His athleticism and his RAC ability. To me Gase seems to value guys that can take a short or intermediate pass and make a move to get extra yardage, basically guys that allow your QB to get rid of the ball quickly and still gain extra yardage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

His athleticism and his RAC ability. To me Gase seems to value guys that can take a short or intermediate pass and make a move to get extra yardage, basically guys that allow your QB to get rid of the ball quickly and still gain extra yardage.

Yea. He can PR as well. I agree that he could be one of those guys that outperforms his draft slot.

Sounds like he’s a smart kid too. So, he probably fits that high character guy Douglas is looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Nice debate question: which starting unit do you trust more?

OL: Fant, Edoga, Lewis, Van Rotten, McGovern

WR: Perriman, Doctson, Crowder

WR Last Season Played:  

Doctson 44 Rec 532 Yards

Perriman 36 Rec 645 Yards

Crowder 78 Rec 833 Yards

I don’t know. Kind of close. Crowder is a solid number 2 option. The other 2 would be fine as number 3’s or 4’s. They do have pedigree though as both were drafted in the first round. 

Great question. 

I like the upside of Fant/Edoga so from an optimistic perspective, I might lean towards offensive line - I'm assuming a lot of people on here feel the same way and it's a dangerous approach. It's very easy to fall in love with the potential of your own guys. Every offseason fans mistakenly overrate their team because they assume "so and so" will take a huge leap when in actuality it doesn't usually happen. The reality is, despite how much we like Fant/Edoga, most around the league would argue that's the worst OT group in football. 

What's clear to everyone is that both units need a lot of work. OT is a more valuable position IMO + I think we're far more likely to land an elite OT at 11 compared to 48, whereas, I think there will be starting WRs to be had outside the first round.  

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

WR Last Season Played:  

Doctson 44 Rec 532 Yards

Crowder 78 Rec 833 Yards

I don’t know. Kind of close. Crowder is a solid number 2 option. The other 2 would be fine as number 3’s or 4’s. They do have pedigree though as both were drafted in the first round. 

When you factor in what Bell and Herndon can bring the offense it's easily the weapons.  It blows my mind that people continually post how much better Sam is with protection even with poor WR play and yet still think the WR is the best idea.

I prefer having multiple #2 type WRs on field over needing a #1 guy.  

What if Fant struggles, what if he gets hurt?  We not only need a long term answer we also need depth.  I like his potential but I trust Edoga more than Fant.  It's amazing that a swing tackle with little starting success is looked at as a lock to be asked to handle one of the top 3 or 4 most important positions in the sport.  

Time to be smart (which I think JD will be) and draft a long term LT.  If Fant breaks out, Edoga gets stronger, and the rookie is a stud having 3 good tackles is a good problem to have.  If Fant or Edoga struggle then what?Most on here would be upset if Sam doesn't have time to get the ball to his shiny new toy.

Plus better OL plays helps our best offensive player too in Bell.  As much as I love Ruggs passing on a OT is bad business.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t mind DPJ if he’s the second WR we draft but if he’s the first one we pick I’d be a bit worried.  Combine performance did not match game tape  

He never averaged more than 13 yds a catch, so I’m not seeing RAC ability in his highlights. I’ll admit I didn’t watch a lot of Michigan games so maybe it was about bad QB play. But two other receivers had more catches, yards and a much higher yards per average last year  

Good red zone target with 6 touchdowns. Guys got a ton of potential. Just not sure if he’s gonna blossom at the next level or be Darius Heyward-Bey. 

Again if we grab a potential #1 wr in round one or two, I wouldn’t hate picking him with one of our thirds or our fourth.  I can see Gase thinking he can harness the talent. 

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

WR Last Season Played:  

Doctson 44 Rec 532 Yards

Crowder 78 Rec 833 Yards

It's really tough. Good question. For me, Perriman is the x-factor. If the end of last season was true, then I go with the WRs.  Edoga and Fant flashed at times, but they're questionable.  I'd feel better about Perriman and Crowder. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

When you factor in what Bell and Herndon can bring the offense it's easily the weapons.  It blows my mind that people continually post how much better Sam is with protection even with poor WR play and yet still think the WR is the best idea.

I prefer having multiple #2 type WRs on field over needing a #1 guy.  

What if Fant struggles, what if he gets hurt?  We not only need a long term answer we also need depth.  I like his potential but I trust Edoga more than Fant.  It's amazing that a swing tackle with little starting success is looked at as a lock to be asked to handle one of the top 3 or 4 most important positions in the sport.  

Time to be smart (which I think JD will be) and draft a long term LT.  If Fant breaks out, Edoga gets stronger, and the rookie is a stud having 3 good tackles is a good problem to have.  If Fant or Edoga struggle then what?Most on here would be upset if Sam doesn't have time to get the ball to his shiny new toy.

Plus better OL plays helps our best offensive player too in Bell.  As much as I love Ruggs passing on a OT is bad business.

Kinda contradicting though. You think JD is smart but you question Fant as a starting LT. JD paid him like a starting LT. So you don’t sound convinced really. So what is it? Is JD as you say smart and you’re wrong about Fant? Or is it that Fant isn’t good and JD isn’t smart?

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Kinda contradicting though. You think JD is smart but you question Fant as a starting LT. JD paid him like a starting LT. So you don’t sound convinced really. So what is it? Is JD as you say smart and you’re wrong about Fant? Or is it that Fant isn’t good and JD isn’t smart?

The fact that Douglas was only willing to commit to essentially a one year deal should tell you that he too questions Fant as a starting LT. Also, $9.25mm doesn't exactly scream starting LT in today's free agency..

He paid a premium for potential and the ability to exit the deal after one season. Smart gamble by a smart guy! 

• Like 1

Fant may or may not pan out. But if we does and we draft an OL at #11 and fant plays well at LT... you now have a surplus of young talent on the oline. The Fant deal is genius in that regard. So I dont think fant will make our draft decisions.  I think theres 1 OT and WR the jets are deciding between. Not sure who. But that's just my gut. Whoever falls will he the pick (guess: Lamb or Wirfs.)

Edited by KodiakThunder
Addendum

I was listening to NY Jets radio yesterday and they had the interview with Daniel Jeremiah. Obviously he and JD are good friends so I was interested to hear what was said. 

He expressed his belief that although in the media there are ‘top 4 OT’s’ he doesn’t believe necessarily that JD will view them that way. As in he may only fancy two or three of them. 

What I took from that was maybe JD is really banking on Fant becoming our LT and realises he can’t play RT to the standard he wants. That could mean he likes Wirfs and Wills because they can come in and play RT whereas Thomas and Becton would be better suited to LT. 

Who knows all guess work at the min. Won’t be too long until we find out!