Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

“In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID-19 cannot be made, but is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it is acceptable to report COVID-19 deaths as “probable” or “presumed.” - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

So in other words, they’re guessing and aren’t required to show proof? How can anyone say our death count numbers are accurate?

I think pretty much everyone in this thread understands there is no possible way the numbers are accurate lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

I think pretty much everyone in this thread understands there is no possible way the numbers are accurate lol.

Sure but now it can be certain the death counts are inaccurate in that the, “recorded” ones are over-exaggerated and that is a very big difference.

16 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yeah I totally understand and agree with you.  My point is there has to be a limit to what we ask the 99.7% of the population to do to save the 0.3% of the population that would die from this unmitigated, because the cost of the most extreme approach to 99.7% is a lot greater than the cost of remaining life to the 0.3% who are mostly elderly anyway

You can justify lockdown for a period of time to get the healthcare system ready for the next wave, to flatten the curve, but 12-18 month lockdown is a different goal entirely and I dont think people are supportive of that 

Yeah agreed :)

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Sure but now it can be certain the death counts are inaccurate in that the, “recorded” ones are over-exaggerated and that is a very big difference.

We've been in circles on this 

There are so many variables that comparative data shouldn't be treated as gospel 

Whatever the 'real' numbers are, they aren't good and while it is 'slowing' people are still dying 

I’m starting to worry about the logistical nightmares that could happen from the next several months.

Tornado season just started and hurricane season starts in 2 months. How are you going to relocate and move hundreds of thousands of people during a pandemic?

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m starting to worry about the logistical nightmares that could happen from the next several months.

Tornado season just started and hurricane season starts in 2 months. How are you going to relocate and move hundreds of thousands of people during a pandemic?

IF the same measures are still in place, perhaps there could be a temporary housing scheme - put in single/family accomodation anywhere available just for a few weeks/months? Gov will have to pay landlords etc. They find units for refugees, for example, so technically these people will be domestic refugees?

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is really, really promising.

great news on remdesivir and Gilead pulled back on the Orphan Drug Designation, so that takes some of the profit-motive out of the equation
If they had the Orphan designation, they'd get tax breaks, shorter/faster approval times and a longer runway with no competition - but the world shamed them into not going that route.

This drug is dosed IV, so it has to be in a hospital setting and the results posted for the critically ill patients look really good so far. I believe Gilead already started ramping up production before the trial started - so getting this out to the hospitals will go quicker once the FDA completes their reviews

I suspect their are also combo trials in the pipeline, using remdesivir with another anti-viral. The best HIV and Hep C drugs were combo's and that seems a likely avenue to pursue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

How are you going to relocate and move hundreds of thousands of people during a pandemic?

We just selectively relocate the young, healthy and good looking -  we don't want the reaction to be worse than the disaster

• Like 2