Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

March 18th? Bittie please the smart money was on it earlier:

EDIT: And here's @ET80's reply confirming that he's a snake in the grass who owes me money

It was already at $70 tho

You needed to buy at 60-65 earlier this year to get full gains tbh

37 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Remdesivir is a small molecule which means its not that expensive to make compared to a biologic like a vaccine or antibody treatment.
However, it has to be dosed IV so its not a candidate for mass delivery to patients unless intravenous- dosing- at home becomes a thing. ( it won't )

And here's a couple of interesting snippets from the Gilead website:

Researchers doubt this recent study data is anything more than suggestive, if that.
“The data from this paper are almost uninterpretable,” Stephen Evans, a professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, told Bloomberg. “There is some evidence suggesting efficacy, but we simply do not know what would have happened to these patients had they not been given the drug.”

Which is why more organized clinical trials with controls are necessary. And Gilead is not denying that.

“In studying remdesivir, the question is not just whether it is safe and effective against COVID-19, but in which patients it shows activity, how long should they receive treatment and at what stage of their disease would treatment be most beneficial,” said Daniel O’Day, Gilead’s chairman and chief executive officer.
“Many answers are needed, which is why we need multiple types of studies involving many types of patients.”

...about 25% of patients receiving it have severe side effects, including multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome, septic shock, acute kidney injury and low blood pressure. Another 23% demonstrated evidence of liver damage on lab tests."

Acute Kidney Injury ( AKI) is a serious problem and one of the biggest killers in the world, leading to more deaths than cancer or heart disease. The other adverse events listed are no picnic either. I don't particularly enjoy being the Grim Reaper every time there is some positive news, but clinical drug development is mostly failure. Its a really tough business to be in and shines a light on how little we actually know.

I wonder how much of the side effects are due to the patient already being severely ill. At that stage, wouldn't we assume the bodies immune system is probably weak due to the virus taking a heavey toll? We see a lot of organ failures at this stage of the fight, no? Is it fair to assume it's hard to judge whether it's the drug or the severity of the illness in the patient that is causing complications?

I agree with everything you said, though. There are still a lot of unknowns. Safe to say even if this is a viable option it'd only be given to inpatient candidates? So much to learn! 

13 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I wonder how much of the side effects are due to the patient already being severely ill. At that stage, wouldn't we assume the bodies immune system is probably weak due to the virus taking a heavey toll? We see a lot of organ failures at this stage of the fight, no? Is it fair to assume it's hard to judge whether it's the drug or the severity of the illness in the patient that is causing complications?

I agree with everything you said, though. There are still a lot of unknowns. Safe to say even if this is a viable option it'd only be given to inpatient candidates? So much to learn! 

I don’t think it’s realistic to use as a mass produced prophylactic 

But it could significantly reduce fatality rates and complications for seriously ill patients if the research is confirmed further which would make this actually like a seasonal flu once our capacity is up

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I wonder how much of the side effects are due to the patient already being severely ill. At that stage, wouldn't we assume the bodies immune system is probably weak due to the virus taking a heavy toll? We see a lot of organ failures at this stage of the fight, no? Is it fair to assume it's hard to judge whether it's the drug or the severity of the illness in the patient that is causing complications?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but having a control group is helpful and there wasn't one for the compassionate use study cited above
When you see adverse events reported across a large number of patients, its often related to the drug being dosed. Severely ill patients don't metabolize the drug as fast as healthy patients- leading to higher concentration which can lead to more adverse events. Many of these patients had other issues before they were treated and we're seeing diabetics struggle a lot with COVID19 and even non-diabetics having huge swings in blood sugar which messes with all your organs, but especially your kidneys.

This doesn't mean remdesivir isn't useful, it means its useful for a smaller subset of patients and that's fairly typical. Every drug has sub-populations where it works and others where it doesn't... and the trials are designed to figure that out.

• Like 1

On April 15, 2020 at 10:38 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

And now a Maryland group is doing a copycat gridlock event that Michigan did this Saturday at noon- gridlock the state capital.  

Does Maryland know that doing a gridlock similar to Michigan is harmful and dangerous? There's better ways to protest without blocking services like buses or hospitals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Does Maryland know that doing a gridlock similar to Michigan is harmful and dangerous? There's better ways to protest without blocking services like buses or hospitals.

I dont mind the protesting - just do it in person you cowards.  Kinda give the game away when you wont get out of your car

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I dont mind the protesting - just do it in person you cowards.  Kinda give the game away when you wont get out of your car

It's better that they stay in cars actually. Better social distancing. Just don't block vital services that other people need. And you don't need to bring guns and body armor to a protest rally.

• Like 2