Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I'd like to see it. It just seems unlikely, since most stimulus or w/e is directed toward the top 1% and not the bottom rung. 

Yeah the $1200 was a joke, especially when you look at Canada paying $2000 a month.  Costco even had the cajones to put out a TV at exactly $1200, not exactly hiding what they were expecting.  

I'm lucky enough to be able to pay my bills.  I worked full time after high school, worked my way up, invested my money and lived at home.  I have a lot of employees who applied for my boss's own assistance plan, which went beyond the store, as well as his pay package which included paying people who weren't working.  The pay period before I returned was the first one for this, and he paid me 2/3's of my salary.  Even kids who weren't working because their parents told them no got something.  So I can imagine the situations that many other people are in.  

Sadly, rent is a bit different from mortgage.  At least with a mortgage, there is a set end date with your ownership, and payments can just be moved back and extended.  There is an out date for rent and it can't just be waved away.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

IE they'd rather bail out the banks holding the mortgages than the people defaulting on the mortgages. 

Hey I thought we weren’t supposed to get political 😂

I kid since it’s so true and hurts really. But all you can do is laugh at this point unfortunately 😢

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah the $1200 was a joke, especially when you look at Canada paying $2000 a month.  Costco even had the cajones to put out a TV at exactly $1200, not exactly hiding what they were expecting.  

I'm lucky enough to be able to pay my bills.  I worked full time after high school, worked my way up, invested my money and lived at home.  I have a lot of employees who applied for my boss's own assistance plan, which went beyond the store, as well as his pay package which included paying people who weren't working.  The pay period before I returned was the first one for this, and he paid me 2/3's of my salary.  Even kids who weren't working because their parents told them no got something.  So I can imagine the situations that many other people are in.  

Sadly, rent is a bit different from mortgage.  At least with a mortgage, there is a set end date with your ownership, and payments can just be moved back and extended.  There is an out date for rent and it can't just be waved away.  

Really hope they extend the additional $600 for unemployment at least.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Really hope they extend the additional $600 for unemployment at least.

Possibly roll that into rent or utility help.  I know it was a big deal here in Maryland with some businesses trying to open and people weren't returning because of the extra $600.  I realize that has issues on it's own, but I've always thought that if you have the ability to work, people should be working and not turning down the job.  At my job, we constantly have applications coming in from people (sometimes more than once) where it's just the standard welfare push.  They never answer no matter how much we call them and we eventually file it as a no hire.  I guess I am jaded from that perspective.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Possibly roll that into rent or utility help.  I know it was a big deal here in Maryland with some businesses trying to open and people weren't returning because of the extra $600.  I realize that has issues on it's own, but I've always thought that if you have the ability to work, people should be working and not turning down the job.  At my job, we constantly have applications coming in from people (sometimes more than once) where it's just the standard welfare push.  They never answer no matter how much we call them and we eventually file it as a no hire.  I guess I am jaded from that perspective.  

Missouri just started making people apply for jobs to get unemployment benefits. Up until now, if you were furloughed due to COVID, that requirement was gone.

So right now I'm expected to find a new job in a new career field because what I do is shut down until at least August, but in all likelihood, next year. So that means the industry I'm in is going to be in a world of hurt because we either all leave or we all become homeless because we can't pay bills. In the mean time, whatever new job I would get would likely pay less than unemployment and my furloughed work, when not furloughed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Missouri just started making people apply for jobs to get unemployment benefits. Up until now, if you were furloughed due to COVID, that requirement was gone.

So right now I'm expected to find a new job in a new career field because what I do is shut down until at least August, but in all likelihood, next year. So that means the industry I'm in is going to be in a world of hurt because we either all leave or we all become homeless because we can't pay bills. In the mean time, whatever new job I would get would likely pay less than unemployment and my furloughed work, when not furloughed.

I feel for you man, hope things can end up turning around quicker for you.  

This just proves that a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work at all.  

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m in somewhat the same boat with being furloughed and an uncertainty about if I have a job to return to as well. I think it’s easy to paint the additional $600 in a bad light which is absurd to me given how bad the pandemic is in this country. The problem is that there is a mindset about the economy that is very short sighted. If we had done a better job of dealing with the virus the first go around, the economy would have benefited more in the long term.

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I feel for you man, hope things can end up turning around quicker for you.  

This just proves that a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work at all.  

I'm "lucky" in that I have an emergency fund and I'm fairly confident that I could stretch it a long time if needed. I've also been going to school to change careers. I have three semesters left until I graduate, so realistically I could apply for jobs in the near future. But there's a lot of people who weren't planning on a career change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Hey I thought we weren’t supposed to get political 😂

I kid since it’s so true and hurts really. But all you can do is laugh at this point unfortunately 😢

I think in this situation, what they’d rather do doesn’t really enter into it. You can’t have like a quarter of the population get evicted, so their hands will be forced to do something for renters/mortgagees.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I feel like we haven't seen anything yet

Noooo!!!  I've tried to have a glass half full disposition.  PGA was the 1st to come back and yes, I watch golf. The NHL has their tourney, MLB will be back w/ a shortened season and honestly - heck at this point, I'll even watch an NBA game. But please don't shorten our NFL season!!!

Edited by K9

27 minutes ago, K9 said:

Noooo!!!  I've tried to have a glass half full disposition.  PGA was the 1st to come back and yes, I watch golf. The NHL has their tourney, MLB will be back w/ a shortened season and honestly - heck at this point, I'll even watch an NBA game. But please don't shorten our NFL season!!!

I still don’t think MLB has a season

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think in this situation, what they’d rather do doesn’t really enter into it. You can’t have like a quarter of the population get evicted, so their hands will be forced to do something for renters/mortgagees.

I sure hope you're right.

It's just that it didn't play out that way last time we had a housing issue.  Of course the circumstances were different.

• Like 2

Week 2 of HS Football Camp. 6 hours in the heat while everyone collectively buries their heads in the sand and pretends like we are actually playing HS Football this fall. I’m going to keep a positive attitude because my athletes deserve it, but I’m extremely pessimistic and angry about viewing these weeks as an absolute waste.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:52 PM, bucsfan333 said:

No. I wanted to be able to root for Jameis.

And the likelihood of having an actual NFL season is growing more and more slim by the day.

Unlike Jameis