Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

That is what Betsy Devos said. She said "Only .02% of students who got COVID would die", with that line of thinking we could have up to 12,500 student deaths. All of which are preventable, at least in terms of school being the cause of exposure. How is anyone okay with that? School is important, I'm a teacher so I think I understand that. I just don't see the point in putting kids in harms way for an improved education. The problem is someone said that someone else ONLY wants no school because it hurts his chances of keeping his job, and some people bought right into that line of garbage and now teachers are being dragged through political mud.

which brings me back to my original point.  Will every kid get covid?

I'm not going to lie,  it is a pretty crappy thing to say that only this many kids will die

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I should say during school hours

If 1000 kids would get it from school but 950 would get it from daycare or something else anyways shouldn't it be looked at if they should just send them to school and make it as safe as possible?

I think the assumed replacement here is remote school, so the overwhelming majority of kids would be at home where we could reasonably assume close to zero transmission.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean your entire stance is mind boggling. If my kid is vaccinated (I dont have one), I would send him to school. A massive amount of the population would get this vaccine, so I would feel way more comfortable knowing that. Yes. I'm still not even sure what point you're trying to make.

Judging by how many people refuse to wear masks i wouldn't be so sure

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

which brings me back to my original point.  Will every kid get covid?

I'm not going to lie,  it is a pretty crappy thing to say that only this many kids will die

Probably not. That's irrelevant though. The problem is people hear .02% and say "Oh thats not that bad!", they fail to realize .02% of every kid is a lot of kids.

Edited by MookieMonstah

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yes and that is a shame. Its funny because they're a big reason we won't have school and they're going to be the loudest about how dumb it is we don't have school.

Idiots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Probably not. That's irrelevant though. The problem is people here .02% and say "Oh thats not that bad!", they fail to realize .02% of every kid is a lot of kids.

Exactly. make it a quarter or 10%. it's still too many children dying preventable deaths.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Exactly. make it a quarter or 10%. it's still too many children dying preventable deaths.

Thats what people can't grasp. I'm aware some kids will still die from this. Mom will get it at the store, dad will get it at work, kid will get it from basketball with his buddy. No one is saying closing schools = 0 kids deaths but opening skills will lead to thousands of kids deaths. Which is absolutely unacceptable to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yes and that is a shame. Its funny because they're a big reason we won't have school and they're going to be the loudest about how dumb it is we don't have school.

Idiots.

In this case though, they're the ones in harms way.  Not everyone else.

The only consequence to everyone else is that you may have to get booster shots every few months to keep your immunity up, since this will still be spreading.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

This is the thing that crossed my mind and scared the christ out of me for a little bit. Thankfully, not everyone needs to get the vaccine for it to work, so the mouth breathing idiots aren't going to tread on the rest of us.

Based on the R0, we'd hit herd immunity at 66% immune with an R0 of 2 (slightly low) or 85% immune with an R0 of 6 (this is the highest reasonable estimate I've seen). So we need somewhere between there for herd immunity. Since I'm lazy, I'll assume the additional buffer we would need to account for a vaccine that is less than 100% efficacious is cancelled out by the percentage of the population who are already immune since they were infected. That means depending on the R0, unless 40% of the country doesn't get the vaccine we'll be okay in the end.

(That won't stop me from being mad if people won't get it, but at least the immunocompromised or other people who may not be able to get it will have some form of protection.)

• Like 2

Looking past the kids themselves getting sick,  virtually every parent, teacher, bus driver, or anyone else in the country that is exposed to children will get infected. Children are inconsiderate little filth monsters that will asymptomatically spread it everywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Looking past the kids themselves getting sick,  virtually every parent, teacher, bus driver, or anyone else in the country that is exposed to children will get infected. Children are inconsiderate little filth monsters that will asymptomatically spread it everywhere.

Especially in high schools. Elementary schools have kids young enough where child-other person transmission is much lower.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Elementary schools have kids young enough where transmission is much lower.

Transmission has been low in kids, so far... Pack 20+ of them together in a room to lick each other's eyeballs for 6-8 hours a day and transmission will skyrocket. 

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Transmission has been low in kids, so far... Pack 20+ of them together in a room to lick each other's eyeballs for 6-8 hours a day and transmission will skyrocket. 

We've seen a few reports where young kids have run into 100+ people then tested positive for COVID and none of the other people have tested positive, but yeah you're right the transmission rate is enough of an unknown at this point that it is a risk.

consider 2nd grade bathroom break time. Class size is ~25 where I live. that is a 150 foot bathroom break line if all of the kids maintain 6' distance from each other. Who is watching all of these kids wash their hands, making sure they aren't touching each other while they wait in line, making sure they keep their masks on. Making sure they aren't smearing spit and boogers on the walls/lockers of other students in the school. Every day. multiple times a day. for 9 months.