Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve never felt anything different.

Some people feel lightheaded for a bit, but I’ve never heard of bloating as an issue.

Prolly all the beer then.

Edited by Mega Ron
Needed an edit.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As you allude to, this is because they don't trust the source.  This is why ideally, you use anecdotal evidence.  Things you heard/read, boiled down to a couple sentences.  Would you read an article that said masks are bad?  No.  Same applies to them.  Provide the links by all means, but under the assumption that they will not be read.  What YOU say has more bearing. 

Sorry for the delay, work was busy and wanted to respond appropriately.

Would I look at their “masks suck” data?  Depends on the source. Give me a .gov, .cdc, .edu, etc link or an article from JAMA, then yes.

A link from some sketch “alt” website?  No.

Exactly, yes.  The issue with mask mandates is whether or not there is constitutional ability to mandate them.  That's why it's the responsibility of businesses, not government, to mandate them.  Walmart was a huge step. 

I agree that businesses need to be the starting point, but every city/state in the country has laws requiring body parts to be covered when in public.  

I find people refusing to wear a mask far more indecent exposure than some wrinkly dong, but that’s just me.  Some old lady’s bare chest isn’t getting me or my family sick.  I don’t see how this isn’t the same as that legally.

The question is whether or not there's any hope the other way.

I believe there is 0% hope of changing minds through hostility.  I know there's 0% hope of changing minds through just writing them off and not saying anything. 
I believe there's roughly a 10% chance of changing minds through calm, humble, kind discussion. 

I hope you’re right.  I honestly think 10% is incredibly optimistic.

And I don’t speak from ignorance.  Literally my whole family are “those people” (politically).  My mother, who I love dearly still thinks hydroxychloroquine is a viable treatment and this is all overblown.  She’s 66 with asthma and no spleen. She’s literally THE high risk person.  She will call me about a number of health concerns and questions (im a nurse if you didn’t know) but defers to Trump for her covid info.  (Not trying to take things off course, but rather offer perspective).

She looks for data that confirms what she wants to believe or is being told as opposed to letting science dictate stance..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I was here. I argued with him about heat killing the virus when literally nothing suggested that. 

Proud of you.  I said the same thing and was labeled a pessimist for lacking misplaced optimism.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe by an idiot.

*looks back and sees it’s @Mega Ron asking*

Yeah.  Definitely an idiot.

But my tummy feels all rumbly.

In all seriousness, my tummy feels all rumbly. It's an uncomfortable feeling entirely concentrated on my belly button. Like someone has rammed their finger in it and is wiggling it around.

I'd rather have covid again.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

But my tummy feels all rumbly.

In all seriousness, my tummy feels all rumbly. It's an uncomfortable feeling entirely concentrated on my belly button. Like someone has rammed their finger in it and is wiggling it around.

I'd rather have covid again.

Maybe a good poo is in order?

from WI

"Westergaard also said Thursday that six Wisconsin children have now had confirmed cases of multi-system inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, a rare but serious condition that can inflame parts of the body, including the heart, lungs and brain. "It's not known exactly what causes MIS-C, but it appears to be triggered by COVID-19 infection," Westergaard said.

Westergaard said there had been more suspected cases — Children's Wisconsin identified seven such cases in May — but DHS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and medical providers were only able to confirm these six. Four are children under age 10 and two are 10 to 15 years old.
All were hospitalized when first diagnosed but four have since returned home, he said.

According to the University of Michigan Health Lab, MIS-C symptoms include a high fever lasting at least four days, rash, peeling hands and feet, deeply red eyes and abdominal pain." 

This is unfortunate news and once again shines a light on why people making definitive declarations about a novel virus need to STFU
COVID19 does impact children and not just the ones identified here, there are others with additional pathologies, including the cytokine storm seen earlier
We learn more each day.

And one important note: Many drugs have not been tested/approved in the pediatric population, so kids have fewer options than adults
That's one more reason why they need additional protections from the bad guys; it's our responsibility as adults.

37 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Governor Kemp of Georgia bans municipalities and counties from enacting mask mandates.

I guess he's just really gunning for the title of worst person in the world.

The explanation to why is pretty simple if you check a CNN clip from yesterday with Atlanta's mayor.

NPR had some experts answer some pressing questions about reopening schools:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891598558/is-school-safe-will-districts-test-for-covid-19-answering-back-to-school-questio?

Is the government going to give more funding to reduce class size and provide more teachers? — Lynn, Phoenix

TURNER: This is the question on the minds and mouths of every school leader and teacher I have spoken with. Congress did pass the CARES Act a while ago. That included about $13.5 billion for K-12 schools. But just about anybody who works in and around or on behalf of schools will tell you they need at least 10 times as much not only to cover the costs of COVID-19, but also because this is happening at the same time that we're experiencing a pretty crushing recession. States are absolutely slashing their education budgets.

It's also important to know that despite President Trump's very real push to reopen schools, there has been very little talk from his administration on actually helping schools pay for any of this.

What are you looking for this fall, as the school year begins? — Sarah McCammon, NPR 

AUBREY: I think I'll be looking for what we can learn about transmission. Are kids indeed spreading it in this classroom setting? That's a really, really important question to answer.

TURNERI am going to be looking at the mental health toll this has taken. I have heard from a lot of educators and a lot of kids, and I've seen it myself — this has been incredibly difficult on kids. It has obliterated many of their support systems, and it's distanced them from many of the very important grown-ups in their lives. And obviously the other kids in their lives! That is going to take a toll. That is a trauma, and I don't even think we've begun to reckon with that.

AUBREY: I completely agree. I mean, I want my kids back in school. My hope is that everyone heeds the warnings and messages coming from public health experts and infectious disease experts that we all have to do the right thing if we plan to send our kids back to school.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Governor Kemp of Georgia bans municipalities and counties from enacting mask mandates.

I guess he's just really gunning for the title of worst person in the world.

I can't believe that I have Facebook friends that are happy with this. This year has been a real eye opener on personal beliefs and intelligence. I mean, you always have an idea, but to have it confirmed is something else.

Edited by kingseanjohn
Grammar
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from WI

"Westergaard also said Thursday that six Wisconsin children have now had confirmed cases of multi-system inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, a rare but serious condition that can inflame parts of the body, including the heart, lungs and brain. "It's not known exactly what causes MIS-C, but it appears to be triggered by COVID-19 infection," Westergaard said.

Westergaard said there had been more suspected cases — Children's Wisconsin identified seven such cases in May — but DHS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and medical providers were only able to confirm these six. Four are children under age 10 and two are 10 to 15 years old.
All were hospitalized when first diagnosed but four have since returned home, he said.

According to the University of Michigan Health Lab, MIS-C symptoms include a high fever lasting at least four days, rash, peeling hands and feet, deeply red eyes and abdominal pain." 

This is unfortunate news and once again shines a light on why people making definitive declarations about a novel virus need to STFU
COVID19 does impact children and not just the ones identified here, there are others with additional pathologies, including the cytokine storm seen earlier
We learn more each day.

And one important note: Many drugs have not been tested/approved in the pediatric population, so kids have fewer options than adults
That's one more reason why they need additional protections from the bad guys; it's our responsibility as adults.

Great post. Do we know much more about what happened? Any other instances of cases like that?

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I can't believe that I have Facebook friends that are happy with this. This year has been a real eye opener on personal beliefs and intelligence. I mean, you always have a idea, but to have it confirmed is something else.

I have several.  I won't say what it is, but they all have the same job.