Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

Two picks until us - if we want one of Akers or Edwards-Helaire here, we can get them

Cushenberry went, but the rest of the most recent picks don't impact us a ton:

46. DEN - Jeremy Chinn (S) Southern Illinois
47. SF - Jaylon Johnson (CB) Utah
48. NYJ - Laviska Shenault Jr (WR) Colorado
49. DET - Brandon Aiyuk (WR) Arizona State
50. KC - Jonathan Taylor (RB) Wisconsin
51. ATL - Kyle Dugger (S) Lenoir-Rhyne
52. LAR - JK Dobbins (RB) Ohio State
53. IND - Julian Okwara (EDGE) Notre Dame
54. BAL - Lloyd Cushenberry III (G) LSU
55. CHI - Jordan Love (QB) Utah State
56. TEN - Cole Kmet (TE) Notre Dame

25 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Two picks until us - if we want one of Akers or Edwards-Helaire here, we can get them

Cushenberry went, but the rest of the most recent picks don't impact us a ton:

46. DEN - Jeremy Chinn (S) Southern Illinois
47. SF - Jaylon Johnson (CB) Utah
48. NYJ - Laviska Shenault Jr (WR) Colorado
49. DET - Brandon Aiyuk (WR) Arizona State
50. KC - Jonathan Taylor (RB) Wisconsin
51. ATL - Kyle Dugger (S) Lenoir-Rhyne
52. LAR - JK Dobbins (RB) Ohio State
53. IND - Julian Okwara (EDGE) Notre Dame
54. BAL - Lloyd Cushenberry III (G) LSU
55. CHI - Jordan Love (QB) Utah State
56. TEN - Cole Kmet (TE) Notre Dame

Yeah I would be fine with Edwards-Helaire here as well.  Houston might take a RB though, and again Prince is the best OT on the board if the Reiff situation was handled somehow.  Muti I love on tape but those injuries are scary, but the little he has put on tape is really unlike any OG out there and Weaver could be a stud pass rusher so all four are good options.

Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT 
Clyde Edwards-Helaire LSU JR RB
Jonah Jackson Ohio State SR OG
Netane Muti Fresno State RS JR OG

Curtis Weaver Boise State JR DE
Chase Claypool Notre Dame SR WR
Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS JR C
Cam Akers Florida State JR RB

Tough call between Edwards-Helaire and Akers, leaning towards CEH based on toughness, pass catching and ability to make defenders miss but he was around much more talent.  Physically Akers is better and is arguably more driven by the teams failures in college he could be super motivated at the next level.  CEH only had one great season this past one, Akers was solid in every season and again with much much worse talent around him especially on the OL.  LSU could have three OL drafted in this draft alone, they are not 1st rounders but not awful either, FSU yeah no draft picks anywhere on that OL.  

Akers 5-10 217  4.47, 20 bench, 35.5 vert, 122 broad: 586 attempts rushing, 2875 yards 27 TDs, 486 yards receiving 7 TDs in three seasons starting from FR, SOPH, JR

CEH 5-7 207 4.6, 15 bench, 39.5 vert, 123 broad: 370 attempts, 2103 yards, 23 TDs, 595 receiving yards 1 TD in threes years at LSU, only 1 as the main starter

Edited by Ozzy

38 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Best value in Jordan Love QB slips away, gone to Chicago. Ah well

The Bears drafting him is a sign that he is not a player that we want using space on the Vikings roster. Since the Bears drafted him he assuredly won't be any good. They draft into the line of Cade McNown/Rex Grossman/Mitchell Trubisky. Verily, As a Bear Jordan Love is bound to disappoint in the NFL.

The Vikings are not interested in QBs that the Bears would pick. The Jim McMahon year was enough already.

On the board and both are available

Don't have to pick til the morning.  Is there a possibility that CEH could be THE guy if Mattison were to go down is my only question on him.  I think Akers has the better shot at being an bell-cow if he needed to be.

33 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

RB is not a position that I would be considering at this stage in the draft. If there isn't a worthwhile player at a more valuable position is there any chance that you could trade down?

Those who've been following the draft process a bit more than me have said everyone is looking to trade down making it hard to do.

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

RB is not a position that I would be considering at this stage in the draft. If there isn't a worthwhile player at a more valuable position is there any chance that you could trade down?

Trade downs have been near impossible. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

That isn't a bad thing. You have plenty draft picks. If nobody wants to trade down, then trade up to get the guys you want on the team. I am thrilled to have Chris Jones but not very thrilled that the way things worked out the first three picks all went to defense. That doesn't mean you did anything wrong. You have to draft value, not need, during the first couples days of the draft. 

Take the best value at a valuable position (not RB, IMO as the zone blocking one cut system would be fine with Mattison and lower round pick type RBs).

QB/OL/DL/CB

I bet you can trade a 5th round pick to someone for a good enough RB to pair with Mattison. I wouldn't give that high a pick for Breida, but there seem to always be RBs available. See the Cardinals trading a 6th round pick for Kenyan Drake.

Basically, if a RB is not super special they become a dime a dozen pretty quickly. As long as you build a strong offensive line those nickel and dime RBs can get 'er done just fine.

I agree, I'm no fan of RB here. No need to spend a 2nd on backup RB. I believe this would be similar circumstances to the Toby Gerhart draft pick (i think). We should be happy to have a capable Mattison as our Bellcow.

So I'm looking at: Curtis Weaver, Boise State, DE

Sure, its another defense pick, but I think at this point, and with how the draft has unfolded, we are better to take value (who can play some meaningful snaps on at least passing downs)

Edited by CriminalMind

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I agree, I'm no fan of RB here. No need to spend a 2nd on backup RB. I believe this would be similar circumstances to the Toby Gerhart draft pick (i think). We should be happy to have a capable Mattison as our Bellcow.

So I'm looking at: Curtis Weaver, Boise State, DE

Sure, its another defense pick, but I think at this point, and with how the draft has unfolded, we are better to take value (who can play some meaningful snaps on at least passing downs)

Weaver was picked by Houston, I would like him also but on Houston not sure he could play a 3/4 OLB spot and not sure he is that athletic.  I think they should have taken Uche instead.

7 hours ago, RpMc said:

I would not mind CEH or better yet Cam Akers here honestly.  Like you said it takes a big drop off after these two, good backs sure but we need a big time game breaker and these two especially Akers could be that.   OL would be great with Prince but like has been talked about what to do with Reiff then.  OG with Jonah Jackson or Muti I would not mind but don't we have a pick coming up soon so could wait on that also and go OL maybe twice or for sure once in the 3rd.