2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Again highlights show just that highlights. Far more low lights. Like the breaking down of fundamentals more often than not. Bad foot work. Just sloppy ball placement at times. Good luck if that's the QB you want.

Like I said, need to watch more, highlights are highlights, but they show an elite physical talent at QB.  Doesn’t mean the rest of his game is good or that I’ll even consider him a 1st rounder after watching a couple full games. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

You guys realize Elway and Russell are probably going to go to Cactus Bowl (UCLA vs K-State), Cotton Bowl (U$C vs Ohio State) and Rose Bowl (Oklahoma vs Georgia), right? 

I pretty much said that the other day, not sure why people are thinking Allen is going to us in round 1.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Give me Rashaad Penny in the 3rd round. Love watching him run. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, thebestever6 said:

I like him as well definitely don't see him lasting until round 3 though. He just seems like such a smooth athlete and runner.

I'd love Penny on our team. He's a hungry yet humble, a true leader, grinder (never complained about too many touches or about the play calling), and the dude can ball at running or catching the ball.

I agree with @thebestever6 I think he'll be gone before round 3. I'd take him late in the first for sure but obviously, I'd love him in round 2. Apparently the Raiders are high on him and that's coming from SD sports talk.

I think that Allen is a better prospect than Brock (Better release, better athlete, longer college pedigree) and Lynch (Operated in pro system, better leader, more built body) but I still cant swallow taking a tall, mobile, toolsy QB for the third time and I don't think Elway can risk it either. If Allen were to bust, it would be open season for torches and pitchforks on his doorstep with all the pundits screaming about how he made the same mistake for the third time in 6 years. Then again, bold decisions often pay off and Allen has lots to work with and a great head on his shoulders.

I think the Steelers should draft him with their late R1 pick. He seems like a GREAT successor to Big Ben after a year on the bench. We don't have the luxury of sitting our rookie QB for a year. Elway needs this hand to pay off immediately, and that just isn't Josh Allen.

Right now I see Josh Rosen as the clear cut top QB in this draft with a sizable gap and then Darnold as the clear cut #2. Rosen is just everything you want outside elite mobility. His arm is excellent (But not elite, then again that's a very overrated QB trait to look for), his release is one of the best I have ever scouted, advanced footwork, very advanced anticipation, short memory after making a mistake, nice size, frame that can add a few lbs but is passable, etc. If you don't fall for the minor reports that he is a bad teammate/leader, and I don't, then he is a prospect on the Jameis Winston level, but with a better head on his shoulders.

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think that Allen is a better prospect than Brock (Better release, better athlete, longer college pedigree) and Lynch (Operated in pro system, better leader, more built body) but I still cant swallow taking a tall, mobile, toolsy QB for the third time and I don't think Elway can risk it either. If Allen were to bust, it would be open season for torches and pitchforks on his doorstep with all the pundits screaming about how he made the same mistake for the third time in 6 years. Then again, bold decisions often pay off and Allen has lots to work with and a great head on his shoulders.

I think the Steelers should draft him with their late R1 pick. He seems like a GREAT successor to Big Ben after a year on the bench. We don't have the luxury of sitting our rookie QB for a year. Elway needs this hand to pay off immediately, and that just isn't Josh Allen.

Right now I see Josh Rosen as the clear cut top QB in this draft with a sizable gap and then Darnold as the clear cut #2. Rosen is just everything you want outside elite mobility. His arm is excellent (But not elite, then again that's a very overrated QB trait to look for), his release is one of the best I have ever scouted, advanced footwork, very advanced anticipation, short memory after making a mistake, nice size, frame that can add a few lbs but is passable, etc. If you don't fall for the minor reports that he is a bad teammate/leader, and I don't, then he is a prospect on the Jameis Winston level, but with a better head on his shoulders.

I think Rosen is the best QB prospect as well, at least from day 1.  As you mentioned, outside of his athleticism there really isn’t a major knock on his traits.  He also operates from under center quite a bit and is the most NFL ready prospect.  Actually reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan when Ryan was coming out.

It would still be hard for me to pass on Darnold if push came to shove.  He needs more work than Rosen, but man some of the throws (anticipation, touch, throwing a guy open) are truly special and something all the greats possess(ed).

As for the rest, they all have things I like and don’t like, but haven’t watched enough to separate them.  Aside from Mayfield, who I love in terms of instincts and throwing on the move, but his college scheme and size worry the hell out of me.  2nd/3rd round I have no issue taking him, I don’t think I could spend a top 25 pick on him though.

As for the rest, they all have things I like and don’t like, but haven’t watched enough to separate them.  Aside from Mayfield, who I love in terms of instincts and throwing on the move, but his college scheme and size worry the hell out of me.  2nd/3rd round I have no issue taking him, I don’t think I could spend a top 25 pick on him though.

I think Baker is a low R1 talent, but have a hard time seeing him go outside the top 10-15. I would be astonished if he fell to R2, let alone R3. It would take a DUI level off field issue to do that.

FWIW we want to be HUGE Buc and Texan fans next week.  

Why?  Well, if we lose to KC (and while KC will no doubt rest guys as they have nothing to win/lose, we're starting Paxton...so that alone increases our odds), we really have a great shot at 1.5 with 1 of those teams winnings (HOU is @IND too) and 1.4 if both teams win (Tampa is the longshot).    HOU beating IND would drop our SoS enough I don't think we'd see a change us winning every SoS tiebreaker (as all the games are intra-divisional, the outcome for each division is 2-2, so the only 2 teams that affect SoS in Week 17 are the 2 unique AFC teams we played - in this case, IND & CIN - and BAL needs to beat CIN to stay in the 5 seed and face KC instead of JAX, so they are going to be mega-motivated to win that lol).

To me, while I will always advocate going overall BPA, if you are in the top 5, then trading up to 1.1 becomes feasible.   While I'd be totally fine with Nelson/Fitzpatrick at 1.5, and even Williams at 1.5 depending on the combine (as I think Nelson is the only 1.4 guy so far, but after the top 3, it can change who is at 4-8 very easily), given the spectre of Elway reaching for need at 1.5-1.6 with QB as a terrifying prospect, I could easily live with a trade up from 1.4/1.5 to 1.1, realizing it will cost a pretty penny.   Again, the X factor comes down to what CLE does - if they decide to repeat 2016 and go after Cousins, especially with prospects stating their wish to not play in CLE, that would open up the possibilities in a big way.   Would still be a big risk given even a move from 1.4/1.5 to 1.1 would likely cost our 2019 1st (unless we traded a player of value to them, then it might be able to trade our 2nd and likely 2019 3rd). 

If we got 1.5, I'd at least float the idea of 1.1 for 1.5, Talib and our 2019 2nd.   The ideal would be to not have to trade away our 2019 1st, as we could easily be a top 10 pick if we don't hit on our upgrades (and with a rookie QB, it's no sure thing we'd surge up, either - Wentz/Goff/Winston/Mariota/Luck rookie years the teams still struggled bigtime).   It would be a huge calculated risk, but it would also eliminate our cap issues to get truly better elsewhere. 

47 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW we want to be HUGE Buc and Texan fans next week.  

Why?  Well, if we lose to KC (and while KC will no doubt rest guys as they have nothing to win/lose, we're starting Paxton...so that alone increases our odds), we really have a great shot at 1.5 with 1 of those teams winnings (HOU is @IND too) and 1.4 if both teams win (Tampa is the longshot).    HOU beating IND would drop our SoS enough I don't think we'd see a change us winning every SoS tiebreaker (as all the games are intra-divisional, the outcome for each division is 2-2, so the only 2 teams that affect SoS in Week 17 are the 2 unique AFC teams we played - in this case, IND & CIN - and BAL needs to beat CIN to stay in the 5 seed and face KC instead of JAX, so they are going to be mega-motivated to win that lol).

To me, while I will always advocate going overall BPA, if you are in the top 5, then trading up to 1.1 becomes feasible.   While I'd be totally fine with Nelson/Fitzpatrick at 1.5, and even Williams at 1.5 depending on the combine (as I think Nelson is the only 1.4 guy so far, but after the top 3, it can change who is at 4-8 very easily), given the spectre of Elway reaching for need at 1.5-1.6 with QB as a terrifying prospect, I could easily live with a trade up from 1.4/1.5 to 1.1, realizing it will cost a pretty penny.   Again, the X factor comes down to what CLE does - if they decide to repeat 2016 and go after Cousins, especially with prospects stating their wish to not play in CLE, that would open up the possibilities in a big way.   Would still be a big risk given even a move from 1.4/1.5 to 1.1 would likely cost our 2019 1st (unless we traded a player of value to them, then it might be able to trade our 2nd and likely 2019 3rd). 

If we got 1.5, I'd at least float the idea of 1.1 for 1.5, Talib and our 2019 2nd.   The ideal would be to not have to trade away our 2019 1st, as we could easily be a top 10 pick if we don't hit on our upgrades (and with a rookie QB, it's no sure thing we'd surge up, either - Wentz/Goff/Winston/Mariota/Luck rookie years the teams still struggled bigtime).   It would be a huge calculated risk, but it would also eliminate our cap issues to get truly better elsewhere. 

I know you said just float the idea but this isn't Madden. You'd have to give up a lot more than Talib and a 19' 2nd to go from 1.5 to 1.1

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I know you said just float the idea but this isn't Madden. You'd have to give up a lot more than Talib and a 19' 2nd to go from 1.5 to 1.1

Yeah looking at the trade chart it would probably be both 2018 and 2019 2nds plus Talib...and 1.5 to make up that 1200 pt gap.  Floating it was just to get a gauge of where Dorsey is at.   Finding a way to not deal 2019 1st is key if you try to get a rookie franchise QB that first year is usually really rough. 

CLE likely wants Fitzpatrick that would be a helluva upgrade for the only part of their D that needs it to put 2 starting CB at that level.  But yeah even then at best we need to cough up 2 2nds and they have to value Talib to move up those  key spots.  The one thing that helps  is Dorsey favors trading for win now guys and got plenty of looks at Talib - and getting guys by trade removes the issue of luring them to CLE.  But yeah 2 2nds and Talib is the likely best case price that doesn’t involve our 2019 1st to move from 1.5 to 1.1.  

I think if we go up then we have to include 2019 first rounder as well. I have no problem doing that if Elway sees a guy a surefire franchise QB. 

I hope the Colts end up getting the second pick because then it becomes open season on the QBs, whereas if it's the Giants then the top 2 guys aren't making it past the Browns and Giants.

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think if we go up then we have to include 2019 first rounder as well. I have no problem doing that if Elway sees a guy a surefire franchise QB. 

I hope the Colts end up getting the second pick because then it becomes open season on the QBs, whereas if it's the Giants then the top 2 guys aren't making it past the Browns and Giants.

It’s sucks that Sashi Brown got fired as CLE GM because he went hard after Cousins in 2016 offering 1.12 and 2.1 to WAS but they stood pat.   With only 1 last year WAS likely will transition tag and then trade him.   If Brown was still the GM I’d have been certain CLE would get him.  As it is with all their draft stock and 100M in cap space they might still be the team that deals for him.  But with Dorsey as GM literally no idea what they are thinking.  

But yeah IND ending up with the 2 pick would be great.  Also because if we lose to KC we’d be no worse than the 1.5 pick with a HOU W.  

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It’s sucks that Sashi Brown got fired as CLE GM because he went hard after Cousins in 2016 offering 1.12 and 2.1 to WAS but they stood pat.   With only 1 last year WAS likely will transition tag and then trade him.   If Brown was still the GM I’d have been certain CLE would get him.  As it is with all their draft stock and 100M in cap space they might still be the team that deals for him.  But with Dorsey as GM literally no idea what they are thinking.  

But yeah IND ending up with the 2 pick would be great.  Also because if we lose to KC we’d be no worse than the 1.5 pick with a HOU W.  

Do you have any proof of the Browns being in for Cousins? FWIW I think Cousins ends up as a Bronco without us giving up any draft picks.

11 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Do you have any proof of the Browns being in for Cousins? FWIW I think Cousins ends up as a Bronco without us giving up any draft picks.

The only hard news was last year that Rappaport and Silver reported on draft night (Silver was the one that detailed it was 1.12 and 2.1 which WAS turned down). 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-browns-are-reportedly-trying-to-trade-for-kirk-cousins-during-the-2017-nfl-draft/amp/

But that was with Sashi Brown at the helm.  No idea what CLE is thinking now.  

Just curious if any of our physicians have a problem with Rosen's body type. In the 60's and 70's lots of studies were done on the 3 basic body types relating to sports. In the NFL teams got gun shy about selecting "ectomorphs" (I think that's right). Basically a small boned skinny guy (Rosen) as opposed to mesomorphs, larger boned, heavier muscled (Big Ben, Bradshaw,) for any position including QB.

Given Rosen already lost a season in college due to a shoulder injury should this be a concern?

Just curious if any of our physicians have a problem with Rosen's body type. In the 60's and 70's lots of studies were done on the 3 basic body types relating to sports. In the NFL teams got gun shy about selecting "ectomorphs" (I think that's right). Basically a small boned skinny guy (Rosen) as opposed to mesomorphs, larger boned, heavier muscled (Big Ben, Bradshaw,) for any position including QB.

Given Rosen already lost a season in college due to a shoulder injury should this be a concern?

Rosen certainly isn't Big Ben but his body looks a lot like Matt Ryan, and isn't far off from Tom Brady (Not as broad shoulders though). I think he will be fine.

Finding guys with builds like Big Ben, Cam, even Peyton is quite rare. I think Rosen can survive with his body type.

And let us never forget the combine picture of Tom Brady with his shirt off. Body types can be honed with dedication and a NFL regime/diet. He was 211lbs at the combine at 6'04 with a 5.30 40 yard dash, 24.5 inch vert and good amount of fat on his body. He was known to be a bit of a partier in college (Nothing crazy, just a kid that liked some drink) and was certainly not a weight room warrior. But he could throw a ball and had a good IQ for the game. Rosen wont be the GOAT like Tom, but he doesn't have any big red flags in terms of body or off field. People are making mountains of mole hills IMO.

Archived