2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

You guys realize Elway and Russell are probably going to go to Cactus Bowl (UCLA vs K-State), Cotton Bowl (U$C vs Ohio State) and Rose Bowl (Oklahoma vs Georgia), right? 

Just because they went to watch Wyoming play does not mean we're going to draft Josh Allen. And, for the record, I would have no problem if we did.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You guys realize Elway and Russell are probably going to go to Cactus Bowl (UCLA vs K-State), Cotton Bowl (U$C vs Ohio State) and Rose Bowl (Oklahoma vs Georgia), right? 

Just because they went to watch Wyoming play does not mean we're going to draft Josh Allen. And, for the record, I would have no problem if we did.

You'd be okay with us drafting Allen? Yuck 

Allen is such an inaccurate passer. And it's not because of the talent around him. He doesn't set his feet, he hurries throws. These are things we haven't been able to develop or fix in a QB. If you want Allen in Denver you want to set us back years. It's common sense people.

20 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If we had Holmgren or Reid on our staff, or even Mike Shanahan, I'd be all about drafting Allen. But I don't think our current coaching staff has what it takes to fix his shortcomings. I wouldn't be shocked to see him within reach of us though. He had a pretty rough season that definitely dropped his stock a bit. 

On 12/23/2017 at 12:08 PM, Counselor said:

Allen is such an inaccurate passer. And it's not because of the talent around him. He doesn't set his feet, he hurries throws. These are things we haven't been able to develop or fix in a QB. If you want Allen in Denver you want to set us back years. It's common sense people.

I still have only watched highlights, but there is no denying Allen’s physical talent.  The guy is literally the prototype for an NFL QB in today’s game.  Elite size, arm, and good athleticism.  Physically he looks like a slightly better version of Carson Wentz (bigger arm and a bit more athletic) but he isn’t as polished.

Many love Mayfield’s “intangibles” (competitiveness/leadership), Allen brings those same qualities as well.  Even before the post UK made, Allen has shown a desire to be great.  The guy literally emailed 100 programs asking them to give him a shot.  Once he was given an opportunity he put everything he had into it.

I also like the fact that he operates often in pro style sets.  He needs his technique cleaned up, but he works from under center, he does 3/5/7 step drops, and he runs play action and bootlegs.

Now, don’t take this out of context, but college completion % is incredibly overrated, especially with a player that isn’t always running the spread.  Many of the best QBs (some HoFers) has 60% or under completion percentages at some point in their college careers.  But, like you, Allen’s accuracy concerns me.  55-56% is low, even in a pro style offense and Wyoming runs a combo of pro/spread.  If he were at 60% I wouldn’t even be concerned, but 56% is beyond low.  I need to watch a few full games of his though, he still really interests me. 

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

An L next week gets us the #6 pick at worst. 

The 4-win Texans and Buccaneers both have higher SoS than us, so we could be as high as 4 if those guys can win a game. Maybe Santa Clause will bring us a Texans win this afternoon. 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The 4-win Texans and Buccaneers both have higher SoS than us, so we could be as high as 4 if those guys can win a game. Maybe Santa Clause will bring us a Texans win this afternoon. 

HOU plays IND next week, so at worst that's a 50-50 game to win, and HOU wants to finish strong given O'Brien's job is seemingly in question with their late fade (I mean, that's unfair, given the crippling injuries and decision to trade away their LT,  but that's the rumor being spread - Watson has already said he wants BoB there, so that's unlikely, but a strong finish should quell any doubts).   Meanwhile, Tampa was 40 secs away from beating CAR on the road, and lost to ATL by 1 score in a game they could have won.   NO is the best team of those 3, but Tampa's got everyone but their RT back from injury (McCoy and David returned), so intra-divisional games are always unpredictable.

I'd just hope KC finishes strong - there's a HUGE diff between having the 5 pick and say the 7-9 pick.   Getting either the 4-5 pick would be awesome.   Tampa & HOU wins would be a late Christmas gift assuming KC takes us out.

A HOU win today would be even better, but at least we still have the IND game for them, too.  The TAM-NO game is a lot more to ask, but it's not crazy with Tampa at home.

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

I still have only watched highlights, but there is no denying Allen’s physical talent.  The guy is literally the prototype for an NFL QB in today’s game.  Elite size, arm, and good athleticism.  Physically he looks like a slightly better version of Carson Wentz (bigger arm and a bit more athletic) but he isn’t as polished.

Many love Mayfield’s “intangibles” (competitiveness/leadership), Allen brings those same qualities as well.  Even before the post UK made, Allen has shown a desire to be great.  The guy literally emailed 100 programs asking them to give him a shot.  Once he was given an opportunity he put everything he had into it.

I also like the fact that he operates often in pro style sets.  He needs his technique cleaned up, but he works from under center, he does 3/5/7 step drops, and he runs play action and bootlegs.

Now, don’t take this out of context, but college completion % is incredibly overrated, especially with a player that isn’t always running the spread.  Many of the best QBs (some HoFers) has 60% or under completion percentages at some point in their college careers.  But, like you, Allen’s accuracy concerns me.  55-56% is low, even in a pro style offense and Wyoming runs a combo of pro/spread.  If he were at 60% I wouldn’t even be concerned, but 56% is beyond low.  I need to watch a few full games of his though, he still really interests me. 

Again highlights show just that highlights. Far more low lights. Like the breaking down of fundamentals more often than not. Bad foot work. Just sloppy ball placement at times. Good luck if that's the QB you want.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Now Josh Rosen is saying he won't play for Cleveland. Can't say I blame him. 

If this keeps up with prospects wanting to avoid them CLE has to really consider trading for Cousins (WAS can tag him with the transition tag at 28M+ for right to match) as they could both afford to match any offer anyone makes and so then locks him up.   They are literally 1 guy away on O once Joe Thomas returns (maybe upgrade RB but that’s about it) on O.    Getting Cousins to not have to go through a learning curve year would help them avoid another sad sack year.     The transition tag would take the choice away from Cousins (and allow WAS to still get a decent trade return) which might be what’s needed to get their guy.

The sure way you change the perception on coming to CLE is by winning.   With CLE their O problems are now solely all on the QB  once Thomas is back - Kizer has 12 TO’s inside the opponent’s 5-yard line.   That’s insane by contrast as bad as our QB play is I think we have 5-6 TO’s.   

Doing that trade would also open up the draft class top end which obv we would all be for.    This is going to be one interesting offseason to say the least. 

Archived