2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

Frankly, we should be hoping that Elway signs a 1-year stopgap vet QB, so he doesn't feel pidgeonholed to have to take QB Rd1...out of need.  Getting a Rd2.x move to Rd1 to get our QBOTF, fine.   Moving up to get Rosen/Darnold, iffy, but OK.   Just don't take another QB in pick 1.6-1.10 if it's not them...that path is the way to tears and 3-4 more years of setbacks IMO.

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

As I see it right now, its a competition for who is the long term backup in Siemien and Brock. They are both excellent locker room guys, and both should come cheap for the long term. Obviously Osweiler has the better arm, but Trevor has another year (Or is it two?) on a rookie scale and is cheaper. I tend to think we could get a high R6 or even low R5 for Trevor to a team that wants a cheap, young but seasoned QB and lacks a reliable backup. Atlanta seems like a reasonable destination, something like Siemien and our 2019 R6 for their 2019 R5. Then just sign Brock each year to a 1M type deal.

No idea what to do with Lynch. He isn't nearly good enough to even be relied upon as a backup IMO and when it comes to 3rd string QB, I will take the Chad Kelly over him all day. I think Kelly has most of Lynch's positive traits (Mobile, excellent arm, um, that's about it) while giving us a lot that Lynch doesn't have, most notable a really strong competitive spirit. As I have parroted numerous times, Lynch is too 'awww shucks' to make it in this league.

Chad had some pretty up and down accuracy at Ole Miss, and nowhere near the pedigree winning games. Also would argue that Baker is better polished, but the pure talent gap isn't that wide IMO. Chad had top 50 pick type physical traits, he just needed to grow up and play calmer on the field (He would hurry his throws, panic a bit, etc.). If Chad has taken this last year to become a professional mentally, he has a real chance to start after another season off the bench and on the sideline.

Right now we are looking at a pick between 6-10. Given that, these are the guys I like, in order: Quenton Nelson OG, Connor Williams OT, Roquan Smith ILB.

Not a fan of McGlinchy that high, he is just so 'meh' all around. Don't get me wrong, he is going to be a starter for a long time in this league, but someone that wont dominate in any aspect of the game. Just a steady guy. That's not a top 10 pick to me. And Orlando Brown is just way too overrated. With his size he should be pancaking people left and right but he plays quite soft and doesn't go for the kill. I don't even see a R1 pick in him. I think Tyrell Crosby from Oregon is better. Brown just gets hype from his bloodlines and because of his frame. I think he can start, but again don't see anywhere near a top 10 talent.

Yeah, I think Os is your backup...no question about it.  That is, if he wants to be a backup.  If he thinks he is a starter, his wife, or dad, or brother need to sit him down to explain to him what he is....there is nothing wrong with it.  He has made his money, now he can live in Denver. Backup the unknown starter. 

As a result, I think you got to cut ties with Trevor and Paxton.  If you can get a draft pick for them...great!  But, chances are the Broncos may need to simply cut them.  Then, if I were Elway, I'd draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd..perhaps Benkhart...and, then I would sign a veteran like Alex Smith, or McCown.  McCown makes sense, because he DOES know what he is...he is a stopgap between himself and the future starter...he could coach Chad, or the drafted QB.  

Really...I don't want to waste a top 10 pick on a QB...it ain't worth it.  Unless, Luck is healthy and the Colts are willing to part way with him...then, that would be the only move for a franchise QB that I'd make.  There are just better options with the top 10...Nelson, Roquan, Barkley, Chubb...

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

The Josh Allen feeling is getting stronger the further we drop. That would not be good.

I don't think so man.  That would be drafting Lynch and Os all over again...unless Elway believes a third time is a charm.  I think if the Broncos can continue to build up the offensive line and commit to having an extremely effective ground game...why can't thy Os, a veteran, and drafted QBOTF man the team till QBOFT can take over...perhaps that is Chad Kelly? 

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't think so man.  That would be drafting Lynch and Os all over again...unless Elway believes a third time is a charm.  I think if the Broncos can continue to build up the offensive line and commit to having an extremely effective ground game...why can't thy Os, a veteran, and drafted QBOTF man the team till QBOFT can take over...perhaps that is Chad Kelly? 

I agree with you. But it's my feeling. The last time this feeling was so strong for me and I was right unfortunately (Obviously Bolles was expected so I'm not counting that as was Lynch if Elway could Move up), was when we drafted Jarvis Moss. Hated the prospect and I just had a feeling. And Boom we draft him like I thought we were going to. Again just feelings but I hope I'm wrong. 

Really...I don't want to waste a top 10 pick on a QB...it ain't worth it. 

I mean, I hope this is not including Darnold/Rosen, because they 100% would be worth the selection.

I also disagree with the idea of spending another pick on a middle round QB. If we don't take a guy to start right away, don't take one at all (Unless BPA, but in reality a middle round QB is basically never BPA).

We cant roll into the season with: Vet Stopgap / Brock or Trevor / Chad Kelly / R3-R5 QB. Teams simply don't carry that many bodies at QB, and this is already assuming that Paxton is cut/traded. I really don't think a guy like Kurt Benkert or Luke Falk provides better developmental potential than Chad Kelly, and that the draft capital would best be used elsewhere.

Even Mason Rudolph is a terribly risky pick, he might have some potential but has taken like 5 snaps under center in his career and isn't allowed to make calls at the LOS. He would be just as 'developmental' as Kelly but with less impressive physical tools and a year behind the curve.

We should sign a stopgap (My personal choice is Eli), pick one of Brock/Trevor as our long term backup QB and roll with Chad Kelly as our developmental guy. That's the simply solution if we cant get Darnold/Rosen, or maybe even Baker (But I am not sold).

Its all about maturity with Chad Kelly, get him a seasoned veteran like Eli Manning to show him how to be a true professional and the sky is the limit. Literally numerous scouting reports indicated that he was as physically gifted a passer and player as any QB in the 2017 draft. But he was an idiot with a laundry list of offenses that make Baker look like Bridgewater.

59 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Frankly, we should be hoping that Elway signs a 1-year stopgap vet QB, so he doesn't feel pidgeonholed to have to take QB Rd1...out of need.  Getting a Rd2.x move to Rd1 to get our QBOTF, fine.   Moving up to get Rosen/Darnold, iffy, but OK.   Just don't take another QB in pick 1.6-1.10 if it's not them...that path is the way to tears and 3-4 more years of setbacks IMO.

Totally agree about hoping Elway does take a stopgap QB instead of forcing a pick for a QB like a Josh Allen or trading the farm for Rosen/Darnold. I have a feeling he's going to sign a FA QB and draft a QB early, frankly, it is what I would do too.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Its a fine line too aggressive and you set yourself back 4 years, too patient and you miss out on a 15 year franchise qb.

You got to scoyt better  thats it.

Let's talk about non-QB Round 1 options. Now that we're in that 6-10 range pretty solidly, I think someone like McGlinchey, Conor WIlliams, or Nelson needs to be VERY heavily considered. If we take one of those tackles, they should immediately be LT, and Bolles can kick to RT. He can't handle the LT position, IMO.

A couple intriguing defensive options too. Da'Ron Payne, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward/Derwin James are all intriguing options at this spot.

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Let's talk about non-QB Round 1 options. Now that we're in that 6-10 range pretty solidly, I think someone like McGlinchey, Conor WIlliams, or Nelson needs to be VERY heavily considered. If we take one of those tackles, they should immediately be LT, and Bolles can kick to RT. He can't handle the LT position, IMO.

A couple intriguing defensive options too. Da'Ron Payne, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward/Derwin James are all intriguing options at this spot.

I think pretty much any position should be looked at.  An influx of young elite talent is needed.  I honestly can't say I'd be upset with any position picked in the first round.  Don't watch much college football so I'm really looking forward to everyone's analysis on here in the coming months.

25 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Right now I'd shoot for any of the Quan/Quons, Nelson, Chubb, or McGlinchey

I think someone like McGlinchey, Conor WIlliams, or Nelson needs to be VERY heavily considered

Connor Williams is a monumentally better prospect than McGlinchey. Even with his injury this season, he should be seen as the top of the 2nd tier after Darnold/Rosen/Barkley/Nelson. Upon his return Texas had insane improvements in their run game, and his advanced metrics for 2016/17 were phenomenal. Kid is a potential bookend LT.

I am strongly of the opinion that McGlinchey has greatly benefited from playing LT next to a generational LG talent, rather than the other way around. It reminds me a bit of John McCargo benefitting from Mario Williams at NC State and getting overdrafted in R1 because of it, but not quite that bad.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Moving up to #2 from #6 is a huge deal. Basically, in value it costs this years entire draft to move up for 1 guy.

If Darnold ends up being the TO machine some think he may be and Rosen reacts badly to pressure we'd have just traded an entire draft for a guy that's not our QBOTF.

That would set this franchise back years.

Archived