2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

If we are finally returning to a BPA philosophy, I am starting to love the idea of Arden Key with our R2 pick. On paper EDGE may not look like a huge need, and it isn't, but its a position with some uncertainty (We likely cant afford to keep Shaq after this year and Ray was bad last season coming off his injury).

Key is a high R1 talent who was marred with inconsistency and injury last season. He has huge upside as a pass rusher and would immediately contribute on clear passing downs IMO. We played best with four talented EDGE guys, keeping them all fresh and ready to attack. If Arden is there in R2, he is a easy pick based on upside. If we sign Kirk and deal down w/ Buffalo, I would love to come out of the draft w/ Derrius Guice, Arden Key and Will Hernandez w/ the first three picks. Then use some draft capital to trade back into R2 and take our future ILB (Leighton Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans would be my top targets) or one of the many CB's as signing Kirk means Talib is done.

Do people really think RB is that great of a need?

Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with Barkley at 1.5.  He’s probably the best player in this draft and whose size, speed, and all around game are very similar to LaDanian Tomlinson.  He’s a special talent.

But I’ve read about some other RBs in the 1st round and I honestly don’t like the value.  Maybe I’m wrong though.  The only one I’ve really watched is Barkley and Wadley from last year.  Love Wadley as well, but at 188 he’s not going to be an every down guy.

28 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with Barkley at 1.5.  He’s probably the best player in this draft and whose size, speed, and all around game are very similar to LaDanian Tomlinson.  He’s a special talent.

But I’ve read about some other RBs in the 1st round and I honestly don’t like the value.  Maybe I’m wrong though.  The only one I’ve really watched is Barkley and Wadley from last year.  Love Wadley as well, but at 188 he’s not going to be an every down guy.

There are backs like Ballage, Freeman, Penny, Jones, etc that we can get later in the draft. We don't need to waste a high pick on a RB.

42 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

There are backs like Ballage, Freeman, Penny, Jones, etc that we can get later in the draft. We don't need to waste a high pick on a RB.

Just based on what I’ve read, I agree.  I think Chubb and Johnson can be thrown into that 2nd, 3rd, maybe even 4th round group as well.  In every draft there are some talented RBs that fall further than you’d expect.

23 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Just based on what I’ve read, I agree.  I think Chubb and Johnson can be thrown into that 2nd, 3rd, maybe even 4th round group as well.  In every draft there are some talented RBs that fall further than you’d expect.

I forgot about those two, and I didn't even mention Sony Michel lol.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm kind of like Shanahan in that respect. Historically, drafting RB's that high rarely works out.

A few reasons. Very few of them are still special after 3 or 4 years. Some (a lot?) of the incredible physical talent they have gets beaten out of them pretty quick. I love a great running game and some of my all time favorite players (Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Sayers, Peterson.......) were high draft picks. Campbell was the #1pick in 78 and for his first three years was as unstoppable a back as I've ever seen. The remaining five years of his career were very average, probably below. He was used up, injured and out of the league in 8 years and only productive at a high level for 3.

RB's don't build teams. For a team on the edge of elite they can be that final catalyst. We just need way more than a great RB. Barkley, as great as he is, wouldn't change our W/L by anymore than one game if that. IMO, spending a 5th on him would be an incredibly awful decision.

Chubb from Georgia looks like a Ray Rice clone.

He doesn't have nearly the pass catching skills or pass protection technique as Rice coming bout, more of a downhill runner. That being said, I really like him in R3. If he can develop those two skills, he can become a quality 3 down back. Most importantly, he knows how to run the ball and can punish a team by running between the tackles. Wont be a homerun hitter but should be able to step in and play the first two downs right away, and with Booker as our 3rd down pass catcher that is good enough for now.

19 hours ago, germ-x said:

RB is a big, big need. Look at successful teams in the NFL today, many of them have premium (Rounds 1-3) picks at the RB position, and the pendulum is swinging back towards having dynamic athletes who can create mismatches at the RB position. It's foolish to think (not saying you in particular are) that late round picks yield the same benefit anymore. 

Barkley could be the best offensive weapon we've had since Manning, and best RB since TD. He's that good. He would bring a completely different skillset to our backfield than we've had in a long time. I'm sorry, but guys like Kalen Ballage do not bring any skillset close to Barkley or even Guice. 10 of the 14 playoff teams spent a premium pick on a RB. It's a worthwhile position to invest in. Barkley is the best prospect since Peterson (if not better). When you get guys of that caliber who could be available, you should take them, IMO.

19 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

RB is a big, big need. Look at successful teams in the NFL today, many of them have premium (Rounds 1-3) picks at the RB position, and the pendulum is swinging back towards having dynamic athletes who can create mismatches at the RB position. It's foolish to think (not saying you in particular are) that late round picks yield the same benefit anymore. 

Barkley could be the best offensive weapon we've had since Manning, and best RB since TD. He's that good. He would bring a completely different skillset to our backfield than we've had in a long time. I'm sorry, but guys like Kalen Ballage do not bring any skillset close to Barkley or even Guice. 10 of the 14 playoff teams spent a premium pick on a RB. It's a worthwhile position to invest in. Barkley is the best prospect since Peterson (if not better). When you get guys of that caliber who could be available, you should take them, IMO.

Don't disrespect CP26 like that

47 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

He's honestly a forgotten man almost here in Denver.  Not only did he kill it for the 2 years he was here he also got us Champ.  Those 2 games against KC were some of my favorite

Could have been HOF if he stayed here IMO 

Okay, you guys that pay attention to the OL. I've got some quick observations and questions mostly, about the draft.

Question 1) Last year I only saw one OT(Bolles) quick enough to play on the left side. Looks like there may be 4 or 5 this year. Am I wrong?

#2) a bit like the first. Looks like big, mobile interior OL guys are pretty deep this year. Am I wrong?

I've finally spent a bit of time watching some of these kids. Looks to me to be a great year to rebuild an OL through the draft.  Seems to me like we could get a kid like Billy Price in the 3rd or 4th. This kid is a day 1 NFL starter and we're not even hearing his name.

I'm just a bit excited. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but this looks like a great year for OL talent.

Archived