2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

48 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Actually JPP hasn't been particularly good since his accident and I've seen people use that as an argument against Griffin, but what you've got to remember is that literally every time Griffen has played football in his life, he did it with one arm. JPP had a freak accident at age 26 and had to adjust his life to get used to it after this, whereas Griffen has spent his entire life with the disability and is well equipped at dealing with it by this point.

Thats what I mean

26 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What are peoples honest opinion on Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk they are the only ones I haven't watch a game of. I know Rudolph is getting first round buzz. Falk did last year before he got benched.

I was very interested in Falk, but his workouts have been very, very lackluster. I personally value experience in terms of games started as it relates to QB prospects. Typically QBs with more collegiate starting experience fare better in the NFL. Falk has that in spades, in addition to gaudy numbers (partially due to the Air Raid offense). That said, his anticipation and accuracy was woeful at the combine and I don't think I'd go after him now.

I typically don't like Big XII QBs, so there's a red flag on Rudolph, but he's not a terrible prospect. He reminds me a bit of Kirk Cousins coming out, in that he does everything well, but nothing necessarily elite. Although frankly, I think he throws a really solid deep ball, but there's questions about his ability to throw a full NFL route tree right now. He is a 3 year starter who has improved year over year, which I think really does count for something when evaluating a QB.

I think we could do worse than Rudolph on this team, frankly, but he needs talent around him.

17 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I was very interested in Falk, but his workouts have been very, very lackluster. I personally value experience in terms of games started as it relates to QB prospects. Typically QBs with more collegiate starting experience fare better in the NFL. Falk has that in spades, in addition to gaudy numbers (partially due to the Air Raid offense). That said, his anticipation and accuracy was woeful at the combine and I don't think I'd go after him now.

I typically don't like Big XII QBs, so there's a red flag on Rudolph, but he's not a terrible prospect. He reminds me a bit of Kirk Cousins coming out, in that he does everything well, but nothing necessarily elite. Although frankly, I think he throws a really solid deep ball, but there's questions about his ability to throw a full NFL route tree right now. He is a 3 year starter who has improved year over year, which I think really does count for something when evaluating a QB.

I think we could do worse than Rudolph on this team, frankly, but he needs talent around him.

As I believe Cousins does. Do you think Mason has a quick transition? They probably didn't run a prostyle offense like Cousins at Michigan State. 

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

As I believe Cousins does. Do you think Mason has a quick transition? They probably didn't run a prostyle offense like Cousins at Michigan State. 

I think Rudolph would have a quicker transition than others but he's probably best served sitting at least half a year, which makes him a better option if we did land someone like Tyrod.

8 hours ago, broncos67 said:

My problem with second round type QBs is this:

- If a guy is good enough to be a day one starter in the NFL and there’s at least a good chance he will be a franchise QB, then he’s a first round pick.

- If a guy is more of a developmental project guy then you really shouldn’t be taking him until the 4th round.

I just kinda think taking QBs in the second and third round isn’t a great place to be in that market. Either a guy is a first rounder or you don’t view him as a likely NFL starter. Now obviously if a guy is a first round grade but falls to the second you can take him there or if you’re late third then you might wanna grab your project guy before someone trades up early in round 4, but in general I think rounds 2 and 3 are no go areas for QB.

I wonder if NFL teams kinda see it that way as well. Aaron Murray, Connor Cook, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Dak Prescott are all examples of guys that were commonly mocked in like the second round but fell to the mid or late rounds. 

45 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

My problem with second round type QBs is this:

- If a guy is good enough to be a day one starter in the NFL and there’s at least a good chance he will be a franchise QB, then he’s a first round pick.

- If a guy is more of a developmental project guy then you really shouldn’t be taking him until the 4th round.

I just kinda think taking QBs in the second and third round isn’t a great place to be in that market. Either a guy is a first rounder or you don’t view him as a likely NFL starter. Now obviously if a guy is a first round grade but falls to the second you can take him there or if you’re late third then you might wanna grab your project guy before someone trades up early in round 4, but in general I think rounds 2 and 3 are no go areas for QB.

I wonder if NFL teams kinda see it that way as well. Aaron Murray, Connor Cook, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Dak Prescott are all examples of guys that were commonly mocked in like the second round but fell to the mid or late rounds. 

Derek Carr, Andy Dalton say hi

So, I'm really getting intrigued by Tremaine Edmunds. He's like a bigger, faster Ted Hendrix. Anyone watch him play much?

Looks to me like the real deal and could go a long way towards moving our defense back to the elite level. What a great, 3 down, chess piece LB. Where we draft he'll be available.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm really getting intrigued by Tremaine Edmunds. He's like a bigger, faster Ted Hendrix. Anyone watch him play much?

Looks to me like the real deal and could go a long way towards moving our defense back to the elite level. What a great, 3 down, chess piece LB. Where we draft he'll be available.

Thoughts?

I liked him and thought he had himself a day at the combine I think he's mid to late second now. Has the Kam Chancellor feel.

I'm intrigued by Isiah Oliver was his dad good before my time .

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Thoughts?

He’s got a top 20-25 grade maybe top 15 It would be a shocker if Roquan Smith and he weren’t round 1 picks.  There’s a lot of debate which guy gets to be 1st.   Leighton Vander Esch forms the 3rd of the elite trio.   

Most years the 3rd Non EDGE LB can sneak into the 2nd round.  But the LAR trade of Ogletree makes them more likely to go there if any of the big 3 are there.  OAK is the team most linked to Smith/Edmunds.  As top 10-20 tier guys hard to see them fall to 2.7.    2.7 would be awesome to have any of the 3 but best case seems to be LVE.   Which might or might not happen (being there).

If you mean 1.5 don’t see it.  By pure talent if it’s non QB one of Barkley/Nelson are there. 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He’s got a top 20-25 grade maybe top 15 It would be a shocker if Roquan Smith and he weren’t round 1 picks.  There’s a lot of debate which guy gets to be 1st.   Leighton Vander Esch forms the 3rd of the elite trio.   

Most years the 3rd Non EDGE LB can sneak into the 2nd round.  But the LAR trade of Ogletree makes them more likely to go there if any of the big 3 are there.  OAK is the team most linked to Smith/Edmunds.  As top 10-20 tier guys hard to see them fall to 2.7.    2.7 would be awesome to have any of the 3 but best case seems to be LVE.   Which might or might not happen (being there).

If you mean 1.5 don’t see it.  By pure talent if it’s non QB one of Barkley/Nelson are there. 

Oh wow I'm thinking of his brother

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No, I'm thinking we could trade down 10-15 and still get him.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

No, I'm thinking we could trade down 10-15 and still get him.

I know you love trench warfare as the building block but I don’t see Elway considering this unless the apocalyptic scenario of committing fairly big $ and years to Keenum (I’d be so upset) or Barkley and Darnold / Rosen / Allen are all gone (I personally wish to avoid Allen but putting myself in Elway shoes), and that he’s soured on Mayfield.  

I think much like prior years Elway is telegraphing his pick, this time for QB - he just has to plan for contingencies in case disaster (in his mind no Darnold / Rosen / Allen) happens.   

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I know you love trench warfare as the building block but I don’t see Elway considering this unless the apocalyptic scenario of committing fairly big $ and years to Keenum (I’d be so upset) or Barkley and Darnold / Rosen / Allen are all gone (I personally wish to avoid Allen but putting myself in Elway shoes), and that he’s soured on Mayfield.  

I think much like prior years Elway is telegraphing his pick, this time for QB - he just has to plan for contingencies in case disaster (in his mind no Darnold / Rosen / Allen) happens.   

Well, if we decide to draft best QB available instead of BPA I could see that. QB is just incredibly overvalued IMO.

Archived