Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:
7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

David Price is paying $1000 to every minor leaguer in the Dodgers system in June. A player is paying players because wealthy *** owners are too damn cheap. Yeah, this whole thing is ****ed. 

Shin-Soo Choo did this for the Rangers in April as well.

And the A's spent this week telling their minor leaguers that they were too cheap to pay them $400/week. Would have been $1.2MM total.

But damn those greedy players.

Owners should offer to pay their entire minor league employment group their full salaries if the players accept their offer for salaries. Pit public perception and supporting the little guy against the big money players, also probably gets you the support of the young MLB guys who still have a bunch of teammates down there. 

I don't have a horse in this race as I think baseball is completely broken from a structural standpoint and needs a strike. I see no reason if the owners are going to lose money that they should care if the season happens. I see no reason for the players to accept that low-ball offer from the owners. Baseball needs a strike. They won't get a salary cap though so the NFL and NBA will still have left them in the dust after it's all said and done.

20 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

the players are getting paid for the # of games they agreed to play sure, but no one needs to play dumb pretend these arent abnormal time. theres an obvious loss in revenue, thats clear. players can say not our problem, but quite frankly thats short sighted and dumb.

It's on both sides,  but the owners are really going to have to suck it up too. It's a business, and as we're seeing in this pandemic billionaires have only gotten wealthier. 

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Bout sums it up

This is good. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's on both sides,  but the owners are really going to have to suck it up too. It's a business, and as we're seeing in this pandemic billionaires have only gotten wealthier. 

Absolutely, it was a low ball offer. I think thats a stupid way to negotiate on either side. instead of each side being at the extremes, both should put forth reasonable proposal and then negotiate from there. 

Its so confusing that people are hoping for a labor strike. Are they really so short sighted that they cant see a year into the future and see how poorly is going to turn out for them?

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Indeed. I 100% support a labor stoppage after this latest bull**** attempt at "resolution." If ownership is truly losing out of their *****, then open up the books and prove it. Be transparent. The reality is, the owners are full of **** and everyone knows it. 

I mean, everyone is greedy.  Players want the most amount of money they can, and owners want to maximize their profit.  This upcoming work stopage is going to be brutal.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, everyone is greedy.  Players want the most amount of money they can, and owners want to maximize their profit.  This upcoming work stopage is going to be brutal.

Players want what they're worth. Owners want to pay them significantly less. But, sure, the players are greedy. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Players want what they're worth. Owners want to pay them significantly less. But, sure, the players are greedy. 

But if you're only doing 50% of the work, would you honestly expect 100% of the pay?  The owners aren't idiots, and they saw how well the CBA negotiations went with the NFLPA and the NFL.  The NFL pitted the elite athletes in the NFL (the Aaron Rodgers, Khalil Mack, etc. of the world) against the average NFL player.  And it worked surprisingly well.  When those MLB players signed their contracts, it was with the assumption that those players would be playing a full 162 game slate barring injury.  If they're playing roughly 50% of the games scheduled, you're looking at 82 games of profit.  Owners shouldn't be the only ones "losing" money, players have to shoulder the loss as well.  I think MLB had the right idea with the tiered pay decreases, I think they just took it way too far.  Just for example, Max Scherzer is set to make $36M this year.  Assuming ~30 starts, that comes out to $1.2M per start.  At ~15 games, that comes out to $2.4M per start.  The players should be shouldering some of the loss as well.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But if you're only doing 50% of the work, would you honestly expect 100% of the pay?  The owners aren't idiots, and they saw how well the CBA negotiations went with the NFLPA and the NFL.  The NFL pitted the elite athletes in the NFL (the Aaron Rodgers, Khalil Mack, etc. of the world) against the average NFL player.  And it worked surprisingly well.  When those MLB players signed their contracts, it was with the assumption that those players would be playing a full 162 game slate barring injury.  If they're playing roughly 50% of the games scheduled, you're looking at 82 games of profit.  Owners shouldn't be the only ones "losing" money, players have to shoulder the loss as well.  I think MLB had the right idea with the tiered pay decreases, I think they just took it way too far.  Just for example, Max Scherzer is set to make $36M this year.  Assuming ~30 starts, that comes out to $1.2M per start.  At ~15 games, that comes out to $2.4M per start.  The players should be shouldering some of the loss as well.

The MLBPA and MLB already agreed in March to pro-rate salaries based on the number of games played. No one thinks Gerrit Cole should get $36MM for half a season. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The MLBPA and MLB already agreed in March to pro-rate salaries based on the number of games played. No one thinks Gerrit Cole should get $36MM for half a season. 

I must have missed that.  Then what's causing the MLB to want to further lower their salary?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The players aren't asking for full salary lol. They already agreed to prorated salaries months ago. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I must have missed that.  Then what's causing the MLB to want to further lower their salary?

They say they agreed to that on the premise of having fans in the ballparks, without that the income decreases and they want player salaries to decrease.

IMO they are both within their rights, one wants profit the other wants the money for the paycut they already agreed to. They'll either meet in the middle of they won't play.

It's the minor leaguers that piss me off. Absolutely gross that they're forcing tax payers to pay those guys and not stepping up and doing the right thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the minor leaguers that piss me off. Absolutely gross that they're forcing tax payers to pay those guys and not stepping up and doing the right thing.

Realistically speaking, how much money is wasted on career minor league players?  As a baseball fan, I'd love to see more players get opportunities, but the guys who are getting the axe aren't guys that have legitimate MLB prospects.  It's the guys that are going to be playing in their high 20s, and then toil away in the Mexican League or something to that extent.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Realistically speaking, how much money is wasted on career minor league players?  As a baseball fan, I'd love to see more players get opportunities, but the guys who are getting the axe aren't guys that have legitimate MLB prospects.  It's the guys that are going to be playing in their high 20s, and then toil away in the Mexican League or something to that extent.

There's way too many of them, really only needs to be 2-3 minor league teams per team. There's way too much of everything in baseball, that's why it's average fan is 60. Too many games, too high payrolls, too many rounds for the draft, too many minor league teams, too long for a draft pick to play pro ball.

However all this stuff has been agreed upon already, make changes when the CBA expires, that's fine. Right now you agreed to pay those guys, and the going got tough and you screwed them. You have the American public and players on your own roster paying your minor leaguers. Terrible look.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically speaking, how much money is wasted on career minor league players? 

They make significantly less than minimum wage after the signing bonus. So really not all that much.

The total savings from the A's not paying any of their minor leaguers their stipends through the rest of the year is $1.2MM.

• Like 1