Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

22% for playing in half the games? I'd be pissed too. 

thats an opening offer, say they get them up to 30 or so, then what? it not like we dont know hwy theres a cut, theres not going to be fans for a while, ticket sales and revenue created in game is gone, thats a big hit. Again, just be reasonable and meet in good faith and hopefully something gets done.

41 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

On nothing but the owners' word that they'd lose money. 

Again, lol

That's the thing. If they released the actual numbers/books and showed that they would be losing out on 70% of their revenue (like the Cubs owners are claiming) then it's a reasonable proposal. But if they don't it's hard to trust them. 

3 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

That's the thing. If they released the actual numbers/books and showed that they would be losing out on 70% of their revenue (like the Cubs owners are claiming) then it's a reasonable proposal. But if they don't it's hard to trust them. 

The Cubs have a new media deal that starts this year, right? So when ownership quotes historic revenue percentages without factoring in the massive TV deal revenue change, they're already being deliberately deceptive.

10 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I don't think it's reasonable even then. Run at a loss for a year, build good will towards the players, avoid the CBA negotiations next year being even more bloody and protracted and potentially killing the sport.

But they're too short sighted and obsessed with hitting record revenues to care about doing anything sensible or long term oriented, they just need that next hit and, for at least some of the owners, because instead of being forced to sell because they don't have the money just using the MLB as a piggy bank to subsidize their losses elsewhere.

Ownership is 100% to blame here, no matter what.

That said, I don't believe for a minute that they're operating at a loss no matter what.

Yeah, I don't see this season happening.  They'd need to be starting to ramp up training soon to even start by July.  If there isn't an agreement in the next week or two then they won't be starting before July 4. Too much past that if football (College and NFL) starts on time, then baseball is going to lose out on a golden opportunity to be the first major sport back.  I don't give a rip for either the owners or the players at this point.

• Like 1

players are taking an awful stance here. Its absolutely laughable that @Thelonebillsfan thinks the owners are the ones being short sighthed as well. Cool, dont play this year. Go on a labor strike next year. It will not last on the players side, guys will break, period. Not only the lower piad guys, but the ones who havent had the big money yet, but are close to it. Depending on how the players handle this, its going to have a ripple effect into free agency for years. im sure we will get a lot of posts here in 3 years about how teams arent being fair though.