Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

One of my HS teammates signed a $5,000 signing bonus, another $8,000 after being drafted in the 28th and 32nd round(s), respectively. In AA, they got about $14 worth of meal money per day, and netted less than $30K a year without benefits, but yeah, they cost those billionaires MILLIONS. What a joke.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should keep paying the minor leaguers (and should have a minimum salary around $40k minimum for minor league players), but $30k a year x 120 minor league teams x 25 players a team is $90 million/year.  I don't know why the MLBPA hasn't folded in the minor league players and helped make that happen, but my best guess is they don't want minor leaguers outvoting the major league players with raises at the bottom.

It does make me happy to see some teams stepping up and paying their minor leaguers at least their usual underpaid money.  I know the Reds are paying their minor league players through September 7.  They released some, but nearly all of those were the long shots to have made one of their minor league teams that would have been cut after spring training anyway.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Don't get me wrong, I think they should keep paying the minor leaguers (and should have a minimum salary around $40k minimum for minor league players), but $30k a year x 120 minor league teams x 25 players a team is $90 million/year.  I don't know why the MLBPA hasn't folded in the minor league players and helped make that happen, but my best guess is they don't want minor leaguers outvoting the major league players with raises at the bottom.

One was AA and one was AA. In A, it was $18K, but yes I understand your point. 

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

It does make me happy to see some teams stepping up and paying their minor leaguers at least their usual underpaid money.  I know the Reds are paying their minor league players through September 7.  They released some, but nearly all of those were the long shots to have made one of their minor league teams that would have been cut after spring training anyway.

👍

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

114 game season ending on October 31.

Are they going to play at a neutral site for the playoffs? Cus mid to late November in New York City ot Minneapolis might get kind if dicey....

It makes sense that the MLBPA's proposal to the owners is more based on salvaging the regular season, while the MLB is going to place emphasis on the playoffs. Players aren't given their regular salaries in the playoffs, so the MLB keeping the same amount of postseason time and half of the regular season would be in effect a paycut by the players. Likewise, the MLBPA is keeping as much of the regular season intact as possible since that is what dictates their pay.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Weird move tactically to give the players their wages and shorten the amount of baseball tbh.

It'll probably come with some form of extended playoffs where they make the TV revenue on lesser player salaries. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

It'll probably come with some form of extended playoffs where they make the TV revenue on lesser player salaries. 

Well yep but inevitably the players counter with more baseball at the same per game wage, so now the owners have to defend a stance where they play less baseball. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well yep but inevitably the players counter with more baseball at the same per game wage, so now the owners have to defend a stance where they play less baseball. 

I love how they are okay with "losing" 600k for 50 games but it was a non-starter at 80 lol. I want to see how they backtrack on that number. 

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

Wonder if the owners know how bad they've screwed up that Boras looks like a good guy?

I think it's apparent at this point that they really don't care what the plebs think.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Slateman said:

Wonder if the owners know how bad they've screwed up that Boras looks like a good guy?

xD 

MLBPA wont go for a 50-60 game schedule. Expect a compromise in the 80-85 range which considering that's a number floated earlier would not be the worst thing. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

xD 

MLBPA wont go for a 50-60 game schedule. Expect a compromise in the 80-85 range which considering that's a number floated earlier would not be the worst thing. 

80-85 at full pro-rated wage was the MLBPA's initial offer. I think it'll be slightly less than that, if only to give the owners a sentimental victory.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

80-85 at full pro-rated wage was the MLBPA's initial offer. I think it'll be slightly less than that, if only to give the owners a sentimental victory.

I thought the MLBPA came in at over 100 games? Ill admit I am not often wise to the minutia of these type of negotiations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

I thought the MLBPA came in at over 100 games? Ill admit I am not often wise to the minutia of these type of negotiations.

Ahh yeah that's true. The owners started at half the season, reduced wages and the players countered with 110, full wages.

You're right. My bad.