Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Ornstein is saying that no fee has been agreed and that we are trying to get Giroud at a lesser price. Arsenal as a result are essentially offering him to Dortmund but unsure if he wants to go there

Interesting. I'd guess Giroud has more leverage and if he wants to stay in London then Arsenal will have to cave to get Aubameyang over the line. Just my two cents though. 

59 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I still don't get Mahrez to MCFC. They've got Bernardo Silva who has barely played, why not just start him? How's Mahrez a different option than him?

Silva is a bit more of a central player in Pep's system and Mahrez is a pacier/more direct player for the flanks... but yeah, it's still a bit ridiculous. City loves to brag about their academy but they're legitimately unwilling to give anyone playing time who didn't cost at least 50 million pounds, even as a squad player option.

Giroud to Chelsea is done now. I was never as enamored with him as a lot of Arsenal fans were so I'm not all that broken up to see him go, but it does suck to sell to a rival and I think he'll do alright there. Very much feels like the end of an era with Giroud, Walcott, and Alexis all leaving at the same time. They all sum up an era of missed opportunities in a lot of ways. 

Utterly bizarre transfer window - swap deals almost never happen and yet Arsenal have essentially pulled 2 off this window: the Alexis/Mikhi swap and now a 3-way merry-go-round between Auba, Batshuayi, and Giroud. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Silva is a bit more of a central player in Pep's system and Mahrez is a pacier/more direct player for the flanks... but yeah, it's still a bit ridiculous. City loves to brag about their academy but they're legitimately unwilling to give anyone playing time who didn't cost at least 50 million pounds, even as a squad player option.

Giroud to Chelsea is done now. I was never as enamored with him as a lot of Arsenal fans were so I'm not all that broken up to see him go, but it does suck to sell to a rival and I think he'll do alright there. Very much feels like the end of an era with Giroud, Walcott, and Alexis all leaving at the same time. They all sum up an era of missed opportunities in a lot of ways. 

Utterly bizarre transfer window - swap deals almost never happen and yet Arsenal have essentially pulled 2 off this window: the Alexis/Mikhi swap and now a 3-way merry-go-round between Auba, Batshuayi, and Giroud. 

Agreed. They're not the same player but they're similar enough it just seems silly for what is basically a six week period without Sane. City's chairman was just talking about integrating youth players into the squad and how it's City's goal and they can't even give one of their guys a shot here. It's all just empty words and it's harder to break through at City than it is at Chelsea miraculously. 

Has been a weird window. Some pretty big moves from top teams and a lot of inaction by teams farther down the table. The swap deals have been weird but so is clubs like Newcastle, Swansea and Bournemouth making very little moves so far in the window despite being in real threat of relegation. 

Always seems like the European clubs are extremely quiet in the winter window, outside of Inigo Martinez to Bilbao, I can't think of one major signing off the top of my head. 

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

We are really about this self sufficiency and financially prudence life. The days of Chelsea recklessly spending are long gone now. 

Boo! What fun is that? 

I've been shocked by the lack of spending from Chelsea. I know they spent big money on Morata but that was mostly offset by Costa's sale. The starting XI is pretty good but the depth is pretty thin.

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Boo! What fun is that? 

I've been shocked by the lack of spending from Chelsea. I know they spent big money on Morata but that was mostly offset by Costa's sale. The starting XI is pretty good but the depth is pretty thin.

If you really think about it, who amongst the top 4 has good depth. Even City have a pretty thin squad. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

We are really about this self sufficiency and financially prudence life. The days of Chelsea recklessly spending are long gone now. 

Reckless was always something of a misnomer.  You could make the argument that you guys were reckless with wages or with not giving guys enough time to actually integrate into the side before casting them off into loan/sale purgatory (Cheers Jose!), but correct me if I'm wrong, Morata was your club-record transfer fee and he was like 58m that could escalate to 75-some at most, wasn't he?