Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

23 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Reckless was always something of a misnomer.  You could make the argument that you guys were reckless with wages or with not giving guys enough time to actually integrate into the side before casting them off into loan/sale purgatory (Cheers Jose!), but correct me if I'm wrong, Morata was your club-record transfer fee and he was like 58m that could escalate to 75-some at most, wasn't he?

Reckless in the sense that we didn’t really balk at fees and that we were always willing to spend money. Obviously the market has gone out of control since this change in approach. Years ago, we would’ve paid what Arsenal originally asked.  Drinkwater, ultimately we paid a huge fee out of desperation and panic but we were looking at 15-20 mil originally. Yeah Morata is our record transfer but again that’s cheap in today’s market, especially given what Everton were asking for Lukaku.

27 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Reckless in the sense that we didn’t really balk at fees and that we were always willing to spend money. Obviously the market has gone out of control since this change in approach. Years ago, we would’ve paid what Arsenal originally asked.  Drinkwater, ultimately we paid a huge fee out of desperation and panic but we were looking at 15-20 mil originally. Yeah Morata is our record transfer but again that’s cheap in today’s market, especially given what Everton were asking for Lukaku.

That's kind of what I'm getting at though.  I'd attribute "reckless" more to the United's, City's, Barca's, and PSG's of this world.  Reckless, to me, is buying players that you don't need just to keep them from your rivals.  I haven't seen Chelsea do that in years, really since Jose's first stint.

I hate transfer deadline day. HATE it.

It was OK a few years ago until it became self aware and then believed it's own hype and tried to become more and more of "a thing". You used to have to make a bit of effort to enjoy it which made it worth it. Now it's being shoved down your throat whilst you get screamed at about how enjoyable it is.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I hate transfer deadline day. HATE it.

It was OK a few years ago until it became self aware and then believed it's own hype and tried to become more and more of "a thing". You used to have to make a bit of effort to enjoy it which made it worth it. Now it's being shoved down your throat whilst you get screamed at about how enjoyable it is.

I just do not understand why on earth teams wait until the last minute to push through deals. You've got an entire month to get your deals done and it comes down to the last 24 hours to get it over the line. 

14 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Every time we lose there is talk about Conte leaving lol. Don’t get me wrong he’s likely gone end of season but it’s like bring it up when we win too. Dude doesn’t know how to handle L’s. If we don’t have our full squad of players available vs Barca we are doomed.

He'll go back to Italy after this season, but unless one of the Milan jobs comes available before the end of this season and he feels the need to jump on it (at which point I could see a situation where he negotiates a more financially-favorable mutual-divorce with Chelsea), I don't see him not finishing out the season.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He'll go back to Italy after this season, but unless one of the Milan jobs comes available before the end of this season and he feels the need to jump on it (at which point I could see a situation where he negotiates a more financially-favorable mutual-divorce with Chelsea), I don't see him not finishing out the season.

Yeah unless our form continues to dip then I don’t see him gone. I think the only way he is not here next year is that he wants to leave and we let him. He’s got one year remaining on his contract, so unless we somehow don’t make the top four at the end of the year I don’t think Abramovich isn’t outright fired. I just hope we don’t replace him with Simeone.

28 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah unless our form continues to dip then I don’t see him gone. I think the only way he is not here next year is that he wants to leave and we let him. He’s got one year remaining on his contract, so unless we somehow don’t make the top four at the end of the year I don’t think Abramovich isn’t outright fired. I just hope we don’t replace him with Simeone.

I don't really get it. You guys are in fourth and level on points with Liverpool above you. Does Conte want to leave or is he being pushed out? Either way, I don't get it. 

Allardyce's comments on Ademola Lookman's loan are hilarious. He said he didn't want him to go to the Bundesliga because he'd have to learn the language. Everyone in Germany speaks English and a major club will have plenty of infrastructure for an English speaking player. They've got a multinational squad and I'm sure a player from the unknown land of England won't trouble give them too many problems. 

18 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I don't really get it. You guys are in fourth and level on points with Liverpool above you. Does Conte want to leave or is he being pushed out? Either way, I don't get it. 

I don’t think he wants to leave per se. I don’t think he sees himself there in the long run at all and the board know it too. He’s just frustrated with the squad, the market. He feels that this squad isn’t good enough to compete on all fronts which isn’t wrong. The board seem to handle transfer doings and maybe he doesn’t like the power they have. Because he isn’t responsible for all these loans. That’s the board. Roman is less involved. We need to get players back quickly. Morata, Willian, Giroud, Barkley all need to be acclimated. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

29 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

He's missed two training sessions now. Leicester should have let him go. 

60M for an above average but not elite wide creator would have been a great bit of business for Leicester. Should have sent him to Man City then reinvested that money in the summer. They're not challenging for European spots, nor are they in any danger of relegation.

10 hours ago, rcon14 said:

60M for an above average but not elite wide creator would have been a great bit of business for Leicester. Should have sent him to Man City then reinvested that money in the summer. They're not challenging for European spots, nor are they in any danger of relegation.

They 100% should have let him go. 60 million for Mahrez is lunacy. He's not even that good. Man City should be aiming higher.