1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

If we're all honest we nor TT and the front office at the time knew they were drafting a first ballot HOF Qb with the Rodgers pick. That pick was mostly driven because of Favres shenanigans trying to hold the organization hostage every off-season if he didn't get his way. Rodgers was drafted for protection.

The current front office saw a possible repeat of the Favre drama and protected themselves likewise by drafting Love. I didn't care for the pick at first but looking back there was no player at #26 that was going to put us over the top, not even Queen, he wasn't that good his rookie year.

TB was just a more loaded team talent wise and we made too many mistakes with fumbles and big plays to overcome the talent TB had. If we played a mistake free game we would've went to the SB that year in spite of drafting a bunch of "back up's" in 2020.

Edited by St Vince

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can tell that people have no idea what they're talking about when they say stuff like "Jordan Love was one of the worst draft picks of all time" when Jeff Gladney, Isaiah Wilson, Damon Arnette, and Henry Ruggs went in the first round of the same year.

Atleast those guys saw the field. Jordan Love is going to be on this roster for 4 years and play less than a handful of games. Complete waste of a first round pick.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Love found out on a Wednesday he was starting. He also flat out admitted he gets zero reps with the starting units and is running the scout team. Three days notice, no familiarity with anyone, and you're going to hold it against the man 🤷

He had first team reps literally the entire off season. These guys are pro players. There is no excuse for him looking as incompetent as he did. If the front office thought he had any chance of being the guy they wouldn't have just signed a soon to be 39 year old QB to a 4 year record setting deal. Love will be off the roster after 2023.

34 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He had first team reps literally the entire off season. These guys are pro players. There is no excuse for him looking as incompetent as he did. If the front office thought he had any chance of being the guy they wouldn't have just signed a soon to be 39 year old QB to a 4 year record setting deal. Love will be off the roster after 2023.

1st team reps with what 1st string players. 

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Well all you have to do is watch them play.  Do  you think Love was ready last year?  Watching the KC game it was pretty obvious he wasn't.  Just saying...

He looked bad in the first half no question. But he showed improvement in the 2nd half (including leading a scoring drive that had us in that game) which is really ALL YOU CAN ASK FOR in his 1st start.  

And it’s hilarious how ppl refuse to acknowledge that he actually outplayed Rodgers vs DET to close out the reg season and got us back in that game too after Rodgers looked washed. And this attitude that a QB in his first start is supposed to look polished is stupid AF.  

Oh and let’s not forget how Rodgers looked in his first action bcuz Love looked like 2010 Rodgers compared to Rodgers’ debut. 

STOP. *******. FRONTING.  PPL. 

Edited by thrILL!
sp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Brett Hundley falling to the 5th round was a shock to many, as he was projected to go as early as the first.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/4/19/8454675/2015-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-select-qb-brett-hundley-at-no-16

The reason they drafted Love was simple- they thought they could repeat the successful formula they had with Favre, or perhaps repeat what Kansas City did with Smith/Mahomes.  It was a risk, and it appears to be a major miscalculation. 

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal.  I'll be the first to say that Gute is good at evaluating players, and I'm very excited for the upcoming draft class.  I thought it was a huge mistake to undervalue and perhaps insult Rodgers with this pick, and what it suggested.  Unless you come across a deal too great to pass up (like Aaron Rodgers), the goal should always be to improve the team immediately and worry about the future as you go along.  Especially when you are so close to a championship team.  

But it isn’t a “major miscalculation” because Gutekunst has hit home runs with other draft choices and this team is one of the most talented teams in football despite Love not playing.  He rolled the dice on Love and its not going to work out (this isn’t set in stone).  He rolled the dice on Gary and appears to have hit a grand slam home run.  Same with the free agent pickup of Campbell.  

I just don’t understand why people are so hung up on a missed pick in the late 20’s two years ago when we went a decade filled the Datone Jones, Damarious Randall, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Derek Sherrod draft picks.  Those whiffs didn’t constitute a “major miscalculation” and the Love pick doesn’t either, no matter how much Rodgers fanboys or the draft industrial complex wants you to believe it.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He looked bad in the first half no question. But he showed improvement in the 2nd half (including leading a scoring drive that had us in that game) which is really ALL YOU CAN ASK FOR in his 1st start.  

And it’s hilarious how ppl refuse to acknowledge that he actually outplayed Rodgers vs DET to close out the reg season and got us back in that game too after Rodgers looked washed. And this attitude that a QB in his first start is supposed to look polished is stupid AF.  

Oh and let’s not forget how Rodgers looked in his first action bcuz Love looked like 2010 Rodgers compared to Rodgers’ debut. 

STOP. *******. FRONTING.  PPL. 

Way to change the topic.  We aren't talking about Rodgers we are talking about Love.  More specifically that he wasn't ready to assume the role of starter last year.  Don't know what you are trying to do here.  Anyone who watched him objectively knows he wasn't ready.  Outplayed Rodgers in a meaningless game?  Who gives a crap.  Comparing Rodgers to Love is laughable.  

I'm not giving up on him yet.  He came in raw and had a lot to learn.  Don't bag on posters saying he wasn't ready because we weren't in the meetings or at practice.  We watched him play isn't that enough?  This isn't rocket science. He flat out sucked last year.  This is his 3rd year and he better show some improvement.  Clements is working with him now.  That should help.  

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Way to change the topic.  We aren't talking about Rodgers we are talking about Love.  More specifically that he wasn't ready to assume the role of starter last year.  Don't know what you are trying to do here.  Anyone who watched him objectively knows he wasn't ready.  Outplayed Rodgers in a meaningless game?  Who gives a crap.  Comparing Rodgers to Love is laughable.  

I'm not giving up on him yet.  He came in raw and had a lot to learn.  Don't bag on posters saying he wasn't ready because we weren't in the meetings or at practice.  We watched him play isn't that enough?  This isn't rocket science. He flat out sucked last year.  This is his 3rd year and he better show some improvement.  Clements is working with him now.  That should help.  

It’s not changing the topic.  QB development from their rookie season onward. It’s the same exact topic. He showed improvement in the minimal time he played which is all one should expect.  But for you it’s okay that Rodgers flat out struggled his 2nd season yet it’s not okay that Love might do the same. It’s hypocrisy. 

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

If you think Jordan Love was a bad pick, Ruggs is going to prison and Gladney is literally dead.

Isaiah Wilson played exactly four snaps for the Titans in a reserve capacity and is now out of football.

He got traded to Miami for a conditional 7th round pick and was waived after 3 days because he didn't show up.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

It’s not changing the topic.  QB development from their rookie season onward. It’s the same exact topic. He showed improvement in the minimal time he played which is all one should expect.  But for you it’s okay that Rodgers flat out struggled his 2nd season yet it’s not okay that Love might do the same. It’s hypocrisy. 

Where did I ever say that?  All I said was Love wasn't ready last year.  This all was in response to your post that since we are not in meetings or watching practice we don't know what we are talking about.  Which is what I am objecting to.  It was pretty obvious the kid was in way over his head last year. Your the one that brought up Rodgers.  Great so he sucked in year 2 also.  So what?  So we should just give Love a pass?  

I want Love to succeed as any Packer fan should.  Hope he is the next great QB in GB.  He still might be don't know.  Draft and develop he may still turn out to be a great player.  But HE WASN'T READY LAST YEAR.  Don't need to be in meetings or at practice to see it either.  KC game is all I needed to see. 

1 hour ago, Cpdaly23 said:

But it isn’t a “major miscalculation” because Gutekunst has hit home runs with other draft choices and this team is one of the most talented teams in football despite Love not playing.  He rolled the dice on Love and its not going to work out (this isn’t set in stone).  He rolled the dice on Gary and appears to have hit a grand slam home run.  Same with the free agent pickup of Campbell.  

I just don’t understand why people are so hung up on a missed pick in the late 20’s two years ago when we went a decade filled the Datone Jones, Damarious Randall, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Derek Sherrod draft picks.  Those whiffs didn’t constitute a “major miscalculation” and the Love pick doesn’t either, no matter how much Rodgers fanboys or the draft industrial complex wants you to believe it.

No doubt.  Gute doesn't miss in the 1st round.  Jury is still out on Love.  Wouldn't call it a wasted pick.  Kid has all the tools but was raw.  Any team drafting him knew he needed to be developed.  GB is the perfect place for him to do exactly that.  Love could turn out to be a spectacular QB none of us really can pass judgement just yet.  As far as the pick I'd give it an incomplete.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R T said:

That is funny, because some person in a community mock named troy145 selected Hundley that makes it facts for you.   

I grabbed my 2015 draft guide by Nolan Nawrocki, and while I'm not saying it's any sort of holy grail they had Hundley locked in as a 3rd-4th round prospect with some scout saying "maybe someone will reach for him in the second but he isn't even on our board." 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:10 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, that's pretty much how NFL defenses attack every inexperienced QB.  Doesn't matter if it's Jordan Love or Trevor Lawrence.  People are going to blitz the heck out of Kenny Pickett this year too.

Exactly. The point isn't that DCs are thinking Love is particularly a chump, they're just following the standard rookie QB playbook. 

If he isn't able to beat the blitz after a half season starting, then he starts leaning towards the "chump" category

Any argument that references Rodgers' incredibly atypical career path as a reason not to give up on any player is intentionally using an outlier bias to try to win an argument.

I'd be willing to bet that the bust rate for first round picks who have looked as ineffective as Love through two seasons is very high. That's the reality. There is always a chance that he's another outlier just like the last two QBs we took a chance on, one by trade and one in the draft, and turn early disappointment into a hall of famer career, but odds are the search for our next long term QB will be a long and painful one.

Seems like a good kid though, I hope it clicks for him.

• Like 3