1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If Indy gets a QB in FA or round 1, I see a very limited market for Love this year

I think it might be less likely we trade him anyways this year with Adams gone because Packers may still be skeptical that Rodgers retires after one year. 

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, Baker Mayfield is the only QB that I'd argue "upgrades" someone's QB room.  Jameis WLinston probably ends up back in New Orleans, so the QB carousel is almost done moving.  Jimmy G is the only real other unknown we have left.  Just going down the list.

Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami - Tua Tagovailola
New England - Mac Jones
NY Jets - Zach Wilson

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh - Mitchell Trubisky

Houston - David Mills
Indianapolis - Sam Ehlinger
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill

Denver - Russell Wilson
Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes
Las Vegas - Derek Carr
LA Chargers - Justin Herbert

Just going through the AFC teams, the only ones where you could argue in favor of Jordan Love would be Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Houston.  But Houston seems intent rolling through 2022 with Mills as their QB.  Indianapolis appears to be the preferred destination of Baker Mayfield, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.  Pittsburgh signing Trubisky seems to imply they're going QB shopping in the draft.

Dallas - Dak Prescott
NY Giants - Daniel Jones/Tyrod Taylor
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts
Washington - Carson Wentz

Chicago - Justin Fields
Detroit - Jared Goff
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins

Atlanta - Matt Ryan
Carolina - Sam Darnold
New Orleans - Jameis Winston?
Tampa Bay - Tom Brady

Arizona - Kyler Murray
LA Rams - Matthew Stafford
San Francisco - Trey Lance
Seattle - Drew Lock/Geno Smith

Going through the NFC, there are a few more clear QB needs.  Carolina and Seattle both need QB upgrades.  Giants probably need a new QB, but they seem intent on giving Daniel Jones every opportunity to secure that position.  Detroit probably is looking for their QBOTF, so they could get one but it probably comes via the draft.

Overall, I think you're looking at Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Seattle as the remaining QB carousel teams.

I don't believe Pittsburgh is in play at all for Love. That leaves 3 teams in play for probably 2 QB's, Mayfield and Jimmy G. Mayfield wants to go to Indy and the only question is do they want him, if not Seattle easily could be his landing spot. Jimmy G isn't getting traded to Seattle so that puts Carolina and Indy as his landing spots. Mayfield to N.O. would really throw this into a tail spin.   

Let's play out this scenario like this, Mayfield goes to Indy and Jimmy G goes to Carolina. Could we then see history repeat itself? In Ron Wolf's final year as GM 2001 he had a similar QB situation with a QB named Hasselbeck and he made a trade with Seattle. The deal was Hasselbeck to Seattle and the swapping of 1st round picks, Seattle traded the 10th overall pick and the Packers trade their 1st rounder from later in the round. The Packers drafted a can't miss pass-rusher from Florida State named Jamel Reynolds and Seattle got Hasselbeck and some guard named Steve Hutchinson who just happened to end up in the HOF. A brutal trade for the Packers if you didn't already figure that out. 

Fast forward to 2022, Seattle is in need of a QB and has the 9th overall pick and the Packers have a QB situation and a 1st rounder (2 actually) later in the draft. Could we see history repeat itself? If so, hopefully it works a little better for the Packers this time around.    

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think it might be less likely we trade him anyways this year with Adams gone because Packers may still be skeptical that Rodgers retires after one year. 

Agree with that to a degree and add it is a salary cap negative. Needs to be a strong trade offer to move him.  

Just now, R T said:

I don't believe Pittsburgh is in play at all for Love. That leaves 3 teams in play for probably 2 QB's, Mayfield and Jimmy G. Mayfield wants to go to Indy and the only question is do they want him, if not Seattle easily could be his landing spot. Jimmy G isn't getting traded to Seattle so that puts Carolina and Indy as his landing spots. Mayfield to N.O. would really throw this into a tail spin.   

As I've mentioned, I think Pittsburgh is in QB mode for the QB.  I know it's a lazy connection, but I think they're going to be looking hard at Kenny Pickett there.  Indianapolis has to walk away with a QB somehow.  They don't have a FRP, so they're likely not getting Kenny Pickett or Malik Willis so there's motivation to ensure they get Baker Mayfield.  Like you said, Jimmy G probably isn't going to Seattle.  But I think New Orleans is the only one "happy" with Winston as their starting QB.  Winston probably goes to Seattle if New Orleans doesn't work out.  I just don't see Seattle trading picks they just got from Russell Wilson for anyone not named Baker Mayfield.

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Let's play out this scenario like this, Mayfield goes to Indy and Jimmy G goes to Carolina. Could we then see history repeat itself? In Ron Wolf's final year as GM 2001 he had a similar QB situation with a QB named Hasselbeck and he made a trade with Seattle. The deal was Hasselbeck to Seattle and the swapping of 1st round picks, Seattle traded the 10th overall pick and the Packers trade their 1st rounder from later in the round. The Packers drafted a can't miss pass-rusher from Florida State named Jamel Reynolds and Seattle got Hasselbeck and some guard named Steve Hutchinson who just happened to end up in the HOF. A brutal trade for the Packers if you didn't already figure that out. 

Fast forward to 2022, Seattle is in need of a QB and has the 9th overall pick and the Packers have a QB situation and a 1st rounder (2 actually) later in the draft. Could we see history repeat itself? If so, hopefully it works a little better for the Packers this time around.

It's possible I suppose.  I think Seattle is probably going to be more interested in Baker then Jordan, but that might just be me.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As I've mentioned, I think Pittsburgh is in QB mode for the QB.  I know it's a lazy connection, but I think they're going to be looking hard at Kenny Pickett there.  Indianapolis has to walk away with a QB somehow.  They don't have a FRP, so they're likely not getting Kenny Pickett or Malik Willis so there's motivation to ensure they get Baker Mayfield.  Like you said, Jimmy G probably isn't going to Seattle.  But I think New Orleans is the only one "happy" with Winston as their starting QB.  Winston probably goes to Seattle if New Orleans doesn't work out.  I just don't see Seattle trading picks they just got from Russell Wilson for anyone not named Baker Mayfield.

It's possible I suppose.  I think Seattle is probably going to be more interested in Baker then Jordan, but that might just be me.

I agree that Seattle is a very unlikely landing spot for Love, but wanted to share the coincidence of 2001.  

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But I think New Orleans is the only one "happy" with Winston as their starting QB.

also, remember that sean payton is no longer coaching there.  What may have been a content situation in his offense could be a very different opinion from Dennis Allen.

In fact, given how turnover prone Dennis Allen is, I'd be surprised if Allen was content with him.

Jordan Love hasn't shown anything in his limited playing time.  That's the real problem here.  Had the kid played well he would have had a market.  The Pack may be better off working with him in the offseason.  Showcase him next year maybe we can extract some value.  He's just a complete unknown.  

Don't think we'll find out anything until the draft.  We'll need a 2 and that's looking unlikely at this point IMO.  Has value as a cheap back up.  Trading him just to trade him makes no sense. We'll see it's been a crazy offseason never thought Adams would command a 1 and 2 either. 

If the right deal doesn't emerge there's no reason to trade him.  The Browns are trading Mayfield this year, who is playing on his 5th year option, and somebody's still going to pick him up.  Love is entering the 3rd year of a 4 year deal and he's virtually guaranteed to sit at the basic 5th year option price because of his lack of playing time.  This actually matters a lot since the basic option is the average of the 3rd to 25th highest paid players at your position (as opposed to the 3-20 average, or transition tag, or franchise tag numbers for the other tiers) and the bottom QB salaries really drag the average down.

Even next year you have a "cheap year to figure out what you've got" on the contract, plus you never know when Rodgers is going to retire or demand a trade or just go live in the Himalayas forever.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, Baker Mayfield is the only QB that I'd argue "upgrades" someone's QB room.  Jameis WLinston probably ends up back in New Orleans, so the QB carousel is almost done moving.  Jimmy G is the only real other unknown we have left.  Just going down the list.

Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami - Tua Tagovailola
New England - Mac Jones
NY Jets - Zach Wilson

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh - Mitchell Trubisky

Houston - David Mills
Indianapolis - Sam Ehlinger
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill

Denver - Russell Wilson
Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes
Las Vegas - Derek Carr
LA Chargers - Justin Herbert

Just going through the AFC teams, the only ones where you could argue in favor of Jordan Love would be Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Houston.  But Houston seems intent rolling through 2022 with Mills as their QB.  Indianapolis appears to be the preferred destination of Baker Mayfield, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.  Pittsburgh signing Trubisky seems to imply they're going QB shopping in the draft.

Dallas - Dak Prescott
NY Giants - Daniel Jones/Tyrod Taylor
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts
Washington - Carson Wentz

Chicago - Justin Fields
Detroit - Jared Goff
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins

Atlanta - Matt Ryan
Carolina - Sam Darnold
New Orleans - Jameis Winston?
Tampa Bay - Tom Brady

Arizona - Kyler Murray
LA Rams - Matthew Stafford
San Francisco - Trey Lance
Seattle - Drew Lock/Geno Smith

Going through the NFC, there are a few more clear QB needs.  Carolina and Seattle both need QB upgrades.  Giants probably need a new QB, but they seem intent on giving Daniel Jones every opportunity to secure that position.  Detroit probably is looking for their QBOTF, so they could get one but it probably comes via the draft.

Overall, I think you're looking at Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Seattle as the remaining QB carousel teams.

Teams that have question marks on their 2022 or long term starter, open for debate for sure, but this is how I see these teams 

Pitt -- Trubisky for 2022 with a draft pick in 2022 for the longer term....very well could be Malik Willis
Houston -- rolling with Mills and have the draft picks for the 2023 QB class if needed
INDY -- Need an upgrade for a playoff contender.   Very well may look at Ryan, Baker, Jimmy G.  

NYG -- rolling with Jones and hoping that new HC can develop him similar to Josh Allen
PHI -- rolling with Hurts and with 3 firsts in 2022, could draft someone for competition
CAR -- I don't see a playoff contending team in 2022, so they probably look for a draft option in 2023
NO -- Probably looking to bring back Winston, don't see an upgrade from him available on a playoff contending team in 2022.  
SEA

49 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like I'm pretty sure that Rodgers is going to sit out the preseason again, so the plan will be to show off Love.  If he looks great, then the price just went up.

This might be the year you see more of Rodgers in preseason just due to all the new WR's we are going to have in there.  Has to develop some game chemistry with them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Jordan Love hasn't shown anything in his limited playing time.  That's the real problem here.  Had the kid played well he would have had a market.  The Pack may be better off working with him in the offseason.  Showcase him next year maybe we can extract some value.  He's just a complete unknown.  

Don't think we'll find out anything until the draft.  We'll need a 2 and that's looking unlikely at this point IMO.  Has value as a cheap back up.  Trading him just to trade him makes no sense. We'll see it's been a crazy offseason never thought Adams would command a 1 and 2 either. 

If he had shown anything substantial, the Packers would rightfully be asking the moon for him.  Or they may have decided to move on from Rodgers.  The Packers are going to need a fair offer to move him.  I don't think they necessarily need a haul to move him, but we're probably talking about at least a SRP to get the discussions going.

• 2 months later...