1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Just noticed he worked on his release.  One of my major gripes with him.  Quickened it up quite a bit but we'll see when we get a better look in the preseason.  Haven't lost all hope on him yet.  

I liked it too.  I re-watched what I could from last year.  This time without trying to be entertained.

Texans preseason snaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgoOQ148w&ab_channel=NFL

Bills preseason:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIP56ig-7s&ab_channel=Reel1'sProductions

Saints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-VijyDWbQ&ab_channel=JungleBoy414

Chiefs:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYG95TImrWY&ab_channel=EnemaoftheState

I like how he throws the ball.  We are not going to be in a situation where he can't make all the throws.  As has already been stated, he panics when he is blitzed.  And he seems to take short dump offs a lot at the first sign of pressure.  These videos don't show all of his INTs or fumble against the Saints.  I do hope he takes care of the ball better, or he is another Jay Cutler.  Perhaps it is just the small sample size, but it can't be counted as a positive.  

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can tell that people have no idea what they're talking about when they say stuff like "Jordan Love was one of the worst draft picks of all time" when Jeff Gladney, Isaiah Wilson, Damon Arnette, and Henry Ruggs went in the first round of the same year.

You could tell that without any of that even happening that draft too lol

9 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Trading up to get Love at #26 was a poor value and a bad decision.  He didn't "fall", he was a late 1st round prospect at best.  Tennessee and Atlanta both drafted better QB prospects this year, and didn't waste valuable picks to do it.  The roster is still suffering from the decision to draft a bunch of backups in 2020

You mean giving up a 4th?  Sorry not losing any sleep over that one.  Whether Love  becomes a player or not is still in question.  He still may pay dividends we don't know.  If he takes the reigns in a year or two and becomes the next great Packer QB will it still be a dumb pick?  

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can tell that people have no idea what they're talking about when they say stuff like "Jordan Love was one of the worst draft picks of all time" when Jeff Gladney, Isaiah Wilson, Damon Arnette, and Henry Ruggs went in the first round of the same year.

I didn't say the worst.  I said the dumbest. 

This pick was doomed from the start.  The GM was never going to trade Rodgers, because he would make him look like an idiot for doing so and put much more pressure on him to perform well.  That was entirely predictable.

Also, Love was not a 1st round talent.  He was not Rodgers.  He was not Burrow.  He didn't fall due to injury.  He was Brett Hundley-a traits-based QB who had big issues.  Those guys can be found later (see Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder).  At no point has he looked like a 1st rounder or franchise QB. 

Can you swing and miss on a 1st rounder?  Absolutely.  Can you knowingly waste one on someone who likely will never see the field on their rookie contract, is a mediocre talent to begin with, and is selected for seemingly no other reason than to spite your best player?  Not without receiving the criticism that you deserve.  Especially when the rest of the draft class did absolutely nothing to address the needs of the team.  This was one of the lowest-ceiling draft classes I've ever seen, which had absolutely no potential to improve the roster.

Edited by Patriotplayer90

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can tell that people have no idea what they're talking about

My favorite is the hyperbole that a player is “nowhere even close to being ready” like they’ve ever set foot near a single practice or meeting lol. 

Like, I have no idea how to tell how bad the process was without being in the room.  What I can do is figure out "how well did that pick work out" and even if Love plays 4 years for the Packers as a backup and never does anything else, he's still not a bottom 5 result from the 2020 first round pick.

Generally though when you take premium positions in ranges where they can conceivably go, that's a good process.

Like the Jaguars took CJ Henderson in the top 10, a guy who was not a good college player but had some traits, and traded him for a ham sandwich one year later.  That's so much worse!

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Also, Love was not a 1st round talent.  He was not Rodgers.  He was not Burrow.  He didn't fall due to injury.  He was Brett Hundley-a traits-based QB who had big issues.  Those guys can be found later (see Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder).  At no point has he looked like a 1st rounder or franchise QB. 

This is the comment of someone with a polluted mindset trying to make their feelings into facts. We will never know where every team had Love on their boards, but we do know some in Miami wanted to take him with the 5th overall pick. This became public knowledge when Brian Flores brought his charges against the Dolphins saying that he and others wanted to take Love but were overruled by ownership to take Tua. To take Love, not Tua or Justin Herbert who went next with the 6th pick, but Love. That is the only team that has exposed anything about their feeling on Love and the sample is that they were willing to take him with a top 5 pick. Yet you declare he was not 1st round talent and compare him to Hundley who was a 5th round flyer. 

QB's need live fire reps to develop, no one walks through the door day one and looks like a franchise QB, even the guys that currently are franchise QB's.   

• Like 2

My ideal situation is for Love to finally hit his stride this season and show that he can be the guy.  Rodgers then leads the Packers to a super bowl victory and rides off into the sunset after the season.  Love then takes over a  team with a strong defense and a running game that should give him a fighting chance.  Love then plays for a decade or more in GB. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, R T said:

This is the comment of someone with a polluted mindset trying to make their feelings into facts. We will never know where every team had Love on their boards, but we do know some in Miami wanted to take him with the 5th overall pick. This became public knowledge when Brian Flores brought his charges against the Dolphins saying that he and others wanted to take Love but were overruled by ownership to take Tua. To take Love, not Tua or Justin Herbert who went next with the 6th pick, but Love. That is the only team that has exposed anything about their feeling on Love and the sample is that they were willing to take him with a top 5 pick. Yet you declare he was not 1st round talent and compare him to Hundley who was a 5th round flyer. 

QB's need live fire reps to develop, no one walks through the door day one and looks like a franchise QB, even the guys that currently are franchise QB's.   

Brett Hundley falling to the 5th round was a shock to many, as he was projected to go as early as the first.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/4/19/8454675/2015-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-select-qb-brett-hundley-at-no-16

The reason they drafted Love was simple- they thought they could repeat the successful formula they had with Favre, or perhaps repeat what Kansas City did with Smith/Mahomes.  It was a risk, and it appears to be a major miscalculation. 

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal.  I'll be the first to say that Gute is good at evaluating players, and I'm very excited for the upcoming draft class.  I thought it was a huge mistake to undervalue and perhaps insult Rodgers with this pick, and what it suggested.  Unless you come across a deal too great to pass up (like Aaron Rodgers), the goal should always be to improve the team immediately and worry about the future as you go along.  Especially when you are so close to a championship team.  

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Love then takes over a team with a strong defense and a running game that should give him a fighting chance.  Love then plays for a decade or more in GB. 

This could’ve happened this season too. Imagine that scenario with the added haul from trading Rodgers.  Of course we all want to see Rodgers lead us to a SB win but when he doesn’t, it only delays the above and takes away a full season of game experience.  So Rodgers better ******* show up and do it this time lol. 

8 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Brett Hundley falling to the 5th round was a shock to many, as he was projected to go as early as the first.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/4/19/8454675/2015-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-select-qb-brett-hundley-at-no-16

The reason they drafted Love was simple- they thought they could repeat the successful formula they had with Favre, or perhaps repeat what Kansas City did with Smith/Mahomes.  It was a risk, and it appears to be a major miscalculation. 

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal.  I'll be the first to say that Gute is good at evaluating players, and I'm very excited for the upcoming draft class.  I thought it was a huge mistake to undervalue and perhaps insult Rodgers with this pick, and what it suggested.  Unless you come across a deal too great to pass up (like Aaron Rodgers), the goal should always be to improve the team immediately and worry about the future as you go along.  Especially when you are so close to a championship team.  

That is funny, because some person in a community mock named troy145 selected Hundley that makes it facts for you. 

Using the drafting of Rodgers doesn't help to discredit the drafting of Love. What you are saying is the exact same things others were saying when Rodgers was drafted. At that time the nitwits were many that were claiming 'the goal should always be to improve the team immediately and worry about the future as you go along'. Especially when they had Favre and were so close to a championship. If you are too young to remember the 2005-2007 seasons it is understandable that you are reliving the discontent from that period, if you lived through that and still have this take there is probably no helping you. Living and learning is a major key to life but doing it objectively through one's eyes as a fan is not always an easy path.   

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

My favorite is the hyperbole that a player is “nowhere even close to being ready” like they’ve ever set foot near a single practice or meeting lol. 

Well all you have to do is watch them play.  Do  you think Love was ready last year?  Watching the KC game it was pretty obvious he wasn't.  Just saying...

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

My ideal situation is for Love to finally hit his stride this season and show that he can be the guy.  Rodgers then leads the Packers to a super bowl victory and rides off into the sunset after the season.  Love then takes over a  team with a strong defense and a running game that should give him a fighting chance.  Love then plays for a decade or more in GB. 

We just gave the man 150 mil over the next 3 years and people still think Jordan Love is going to start for this team? 

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well all you have to do is watch them play.  Do  you think Love was ready last year?  Watching the KC game it was pretty obvious he wasn't.  Just saying...

Love found out on a Wednesday he was starting. He also flat out admitted he gets zero reps with the starting units and is running the scout team. Three days notice, no familiarity with anyone, and you're going to hold it against the man 🤷

• Like 1