1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

I expect quite a bit more than the Favre deal. He was well past his mvp years at the time. Stafford fetched two 1st’s and a 3rd. And an avg-level starting QB (though I guess Goff might be seen as a net-zero asset, given the big contract). While admittedly younger, Stafford is not as good as Rodgers. 

I'm in general agreement here.  The quarterback position is considered even MORE important than it was back in the Favre years due to the changes in the game and the rules.  Favre also had several average years before his 2007 season...so teams were not quite sure what they were getting.  Rodgers has now had two back to back MVP seasons with statistics that by any reasonable measure look fantastic.  Some team(s) is going to say get me that and we can win big and they probably will.  He is worth 3-5 wins more than the average quarterback.  That puts you in the playoffs were you have a chance.

Secondly, our wonderful commissioner when he learned that the team and Favre were at an impasse and he wanted to be traded, decided to wade into the matter personally as a trade of Favre "was in the NFL's best interest and its fans".  When Goodell swooped in like that and attempted to personally enter into the ongoing discussions between the team and Favre to mitigate the impasse, he really interfered in a team matter with a player that was under contract.  How extensively did he get into those discussions I really do not know.  But that really should not have happened.  The rest of the teams knew how the commissioner was putting pressure on the Packers to make Favre happy so the NFL fans could enjoy seeing him and I believe it led to somewhat diminish his trade value.    Plus on that trade, we reportedly had the Vikings interested in trading for Favre and a much higher price but we balked at trading him within the division.  The "rumor" was they offered their first round pick which I have no real idea if that was true...but the fact he ended up there two years later definitely indicates interest.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

At least Stafford showed up in his playoff games. 

The MVP Rodgers was 20-29, no picks in zero degree weather.  Special Teams completely sucked, blocked punt, blocked field goal, piss poor kick coverage,  Aaron Jones got caught from behind after his catch before the half, Mercedes Lewis fumbled.  

Plenty of blame to go around.  

2 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

We only got a conditional 2009 3rd rounder for Favre which we then used to trade up to draft Clay.

The haul we are expecting for Rodgers should be a little more than that but its not gonna be the king's ransom that some of us are proposing.

Part of the reason Favre only went for a third round pick was because he was traded in August- from a cap standpoint, there weren’t many teams that COULD bid on him.

With Rodgers, the Steelers, Broncos, Raiders and Dolphins should all theoretically be in on him- and those are all places he can look at and believe he Can win.  Even if it’s just two teams, it takes “lowball” offers off the table.

Edited by Cpdaly23

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The expectation for tight ends is typically year three. At least it was. TE was a position you could ignore with Rodgers playing QB, but if it’s going to be Love, the Packers would either have to expect Degaura to have a significant leap or re-sign Tonyan, who might be cheaper than people expect.

If we move on from Rodgers, now is the time we would have to invest in some talent at WR/TE. Have to get Love confident before you can start taking pieces away from him and put them on defense.

or get one from a rodgers trade

• Like 1

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Last year it was (3) 1sts a 2nd, and Chubb, Lock, & Risner?

And that was probably unrealistic.  But figure another year earlier of Aaron Rodgers PLUS 2 less years of team control, Rodgers' value isn't anywhere near that.

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

Stafford went for 2 firsts, a third and Goff, that has to be a low end comparison.

I would argue that the Broncos' FRP this year and next year FAR exceeds what exceeds the package the Rams gave up.  And quite frankly, I don't think it's even close.

7 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

We only got a conditional 2009 3rd rounder for Favre which we then used to trade up to draft Clay.

The haul we are expecting for Rodgers should be a little more than that but its not gonna be the king's ransom that some of us are proposing.

Comparing Rodgers to Favre is comical, because Favre was actually going to retire.  Do you truly believe that Rodgers is going to retire if Green Bay doesn't trade him?  No.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Comparing Rodgers to Favre is comical, because Favre was actually going to retire.  Do you truly believe that Rodgers is going to retire if Green Bay doesn't trade him?  No.

He contemplated retirement last off season.

Any team trading for him better be aware he may do it when you least expect it. 

Just now, FAH1223 said:

He contemplated retirement last off season.

Any team trading for him better be aware he may do it when you least expect it. 

It wasn't a serious threat.  It was a negotiating ploy to get what Aaron Rodgers wanted.  Going into the offseason, the Packers had 3 years of team control left on Aaron which meant there wasn't much in the way of leverage.  This offseason, he's only got 1 more year.  You don't ask for a trade if you're seriously contemplating retirement, especially when the franchise was ready to run it back for another year.