1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you want to make the argument based on the idea that Rodgers contract was specifically carved out to be less this year, okay.

But realistically we're likely looking at abridged off season programs. You're likely to get even less out of rookies than you normally would. 

I'm making the argument based on what is he going to do this year, or next year. I'm banking on the answer to that being next to nothing. We won 13 games last year with that "scrub" QB. This is not a "rebuilding" year, pandemic or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So you can draft a solid, but faulty player who might make the Packers marginally better next year OR you can draft the guy you think that will lead the Packers for the next 15+ years in most important position in all of professional sports?  Seems like a no brainer.  Let's not act like we're looking at a slew of top 10 prospects that fell.  Based on my board, Josh Jones, Denzel Mims, Ross Blacklock, Kristian Fulton, Jeff Gladney, Jaylon Johnson, Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney, and Antoine Winfield were the only first round prospects left on my board.  Of those guys, only Jeff Gladney was selected in the first round.  And the Packers felt the need to trade up for Love, which indicates to me that he was the highest remaining player in his tier.

Could you slant that post any more to your narrative ?? At least play it straight up. I'll discuss opposing views all day but not if youre gonna go there. I didn't get passed the first sentence

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It doesn't have to be two years. If Rodgers balls out, you can keep Love for 3 years before anybody even sweats you about resigning him. 

But then you've lost basically the entire window of trying to win a championship with a rookie-deal QB...which is part of the point right? That's the new trend, teams winning with QBs on rookie deals. Well, draft your rookie QB with the plan that in year 2, he's your starter, not year 4. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Again, it puts you in a position where you have to commit/cut bait too soon. Are you willing to trade Rodgers just like that in 2 years simply because you HAVE to commit to Love? Seems very forced. Ideally, I'd want to make this pick only if I am sure that 12 is not going to be my quarterback in 2 years. Was that the decision we just made tonight? 

Realistically speaking, you've got Love under contract for a very reasonable contract for four years before that 5th year option makes him a bit pricier.  Ironically, Rodgers has four years left on his contract.  You don't have to get rid of Rodgers in 2 years, but you can save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money ($12.6M) by releasing him in 2 years.  You don't take Love if you don't think he's your future QB.

I mean, think of it this way:

The primary value of draft picks is that they are cheaper than free agents. 
The #26 overall pick is going to get paid about $12m over 4 years. 
A good backup QB in the NFL runs you $7-$8m/year. 
A 36 year old Rodgers is more likely to miss games with injury than a younger Rodgers. 
Tim Boyle is not going to win you any football games.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Love lost EVERY starter on his team 2018-2019 except his LT.   In addition he had an ENTIRELY new coaching staff 2018-2019.   In 2018 he had 32 TD's 6 INT's and a 158.3 rating.   Could you imagine Rodgers losing every starter except Bakhtiari and it not affecting his stats?   Burrows was a marginal prospect in 2018 until Joe Brady became his OC and LSU developed an absolutely loaded offensive squad.   Anyone seriously think Love wouldn't be a top 3 QB prospect if he had any continuity 2018 to 2019?      

I liked other guys too but I get it.   Franchise QB's are tough to find.  Pack fans are spoiled moving from Favre to Rodgers.   It takes guts and capital to find leaders for the team.  Gute obviously has the cajones - I'm willing to let it play out

Exactly this. Not enough people put enough emphasis on this except his supporters. There was literally NO continuity for Love last year from the year prior. He still flashed but he forced a **** ton. Burrow, with continuity, went from a day 3 grade to #1 overall. It matters. I don't get why people ignore it. Convenience, I guess.

You're the Packers with the 30th pick. The draft falls in such a way that all the top 1st tier WR and OL are gone. What do you do with the 30th pick now?

No way we would use it on a RB or a TE. There's no skill position player left worth taking in the 1st round for Rodgers. Can't blame the Packers - the 1st round simply didn't fall our way.

They're probably wasn't keen on sinking another 1st round pick on a CB and lets face it, they weren't gonna invest in a ILB. That was a given. They already invested in a 1st rounder and a top free agent at safety so that position can safely be ruled out too.

So at this point it was either draft a DL or a QB, either at 30 or via a trade up. If neither were suitable for the Packers then that left them with just one option which was a trade down.

If we were unable to do that then we were facing the possibility of overdrafting a player we liked a round too early. We were proactive and did what we needed to do and it just so happens Love was their guy.

There's still lots of WR, RB, OT, DL prospects available. Losing a 4th round pick hurts but we have three 6th round picks and we can package them to trade up into the 4th.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Could you slant that post any more to your narrative ?? At least play it straight up. I'll discuss opposing views all day but not if youre gonna go there

What narrative?  I've already said that I didn't think it was good value based on what I saw.  But I'm not naive enough to realize that he was dealt an awful hand this year.  Try replacing most of your offensive staff and your HC.  How do you think that's going to go?  If you can't see why the Packers chose Love, you're trying not to.  If you can't see why there isn't a ton of risk involved with Love, you're trying not to.  The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

4 minutes ago, SAM said:

I don't think any other team is going to trade for Rogers and his mega salary. The Pack cant be considered a true contender for the next couple of years. Love, like Gary, is a workout warrior but did not produce in college. Rogers had a great year at Cal, in the Pack 12 and was considered at the least the #2 QB in that draft. Love posted a 7-6 record in the Mighty Mountain West conference with some 17 INT's. IMHO Love is a 3d round project at best.       

lol what? Love's 2018 tape is solid -- just because he regressed last season doesn't mean he's a workout warrior. It means he lost his entire coaching staff and supporting talent. Please stop with these kinds of posts. It isn't fair to Love and it surely isn't accurate.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Is your idea of immediate impact both good and bad? Because anybody that sees the field isn't going to automatically provide positive impact. 

Impossible to say what impact they'd have. But I'd rather give a guy a chance to have a positive (or negative) impact rather than draft someone with our first pick who ideally won't see the field for a few years. Common sense my guy

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You don't take Love if you don't think he's your future QB.

Agree.....certainly not with the first round pick.....even if it's a low one.....IMO at least.
So as I said somewhere earlier: We're seeing the future now.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

You're the Packers with the 30th pick. The draft falls in such a way that all the top 1st tier WR and OL are gone. What do you do with the 30th pick now?

No way we would use it on a RB or a TE. There's no skill position player left worth taking in the 1st round for Rodgers. Can't blame the Packers - the 1st round simply didn't fall our way.

They're probably wasn't keen on sinking another 1st round pick on a CB and lets face it, they weren't gonna invest in a ILB. That was a given. They already invested in a 1st rounder and a top free agent at safety so that position can safely be ruled out too.

So at this point it was either draft a DL or a QB, either at 30 or via a trade up. If neither were suitable for the Packers then that left them with just one option which was a trade down.

If we were unable to do that then we were facing the possibility of overdrafting a player we liked a round too early. We were proactive and did what we needed to do and it just so happens Love was their guy.

There's still lots of WR, RB, OT, DL prospects available. Losing a 4th round pick hurts but we have three 6th round picks and we can package them to trade up into the 4th.

While true, it likely wasn't even THIS complicated.

He was almost certainly just the last guy left in a tier they wanted to be involved with. Regardless of position.

Edited by incognito_man